2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!

In this episode we tackle the historic El Camino Del Diablo trail in Southern Arizona near the Mexico border.

This route translated “The Devil’s Highway” once stretched 250 miles through the Sonoran Desert. This “foot path” route is believed to have been used for 1,000 years or more. It is estimated that thousands of travelers have died on the route from the heat and dehydration. Keep watch and you’ll find grave sites along this route.

Today the route is about 130 miles in length stretching from Yuma to Ajo. It can be traveled in either direction. There are sections within the Luke Airforce Base where the military testing is performed and travels through a Wildlife Refuge.

You need to obtain a permit for traveling this route: https://luke.isportsman.net/
Check in for your travel dates before entering the trail.

Overall, it’s a beautiful drive with scenic camping and areas to explore such as the Frontera Gold Mine. Be careful and mindful of signed closure areas. There are multiple route exit and entrance options that can shorten and bypass more difficult sections. The slightly more technical terrain is on the Yuma end but easily passible with a high clearance truck.

Superduty

Adventurer
Did you guys head there right after Oregon? Or are the videos not necessarily released in chronological order?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Trail Talk

Hey folks, great adventures! I see you are running Method 701 wheels without the center caps. I'm trying to decide if I will do the same so want to lean on your experience. Any comments or concerns, or a non-issue? Thanks in advance,

montypower

Adventure Time!
Thanks for following! Center caps are cosmetic only. It would be an appearance preference only. Since they serve no function... I don't want them. :)

montypower

Adventure Time!
Curious, what tire pressure did ya'll run on El Camino and what's your wet weight with the camper?

Think we mentioned it at the end of the 2nd video. IIRC we were at 30psi front and 35psi rear.
Not sure camper wet weight. We are about 6,000lbs on the rear axle fully loaded. Of course, that weight includes the big tires, steel rock sliders, bumper, aux gas tank.... Maybe I'll get a chance to scale the truck empty sometime. But it rarely is empty! :)

montypower

Adventure Time!

We’ve run the Yokohama Geolandar XAT tire for 1 year and over 13,000 miles. Are they any good?

37x12.5R17 – Load D – 3,525 Capacity – 3 Ply Sidewalls – 19/32nds Tread Depth

So far our tread depth has decreased on the outer edge to 16/32nds (not bad). However the center tread blocks are at 12/32nds. This is a bit concerning! That’s a significant difference from the outer tread blocks. Typically, you’ll see increased center tire wear from air pressure being too high. We’ve been running 40psi front and 45psi rear with the camper on road. The max pressure is 50psi. At the current tread wear rate we should see 30-35k miles from these tires. Not quite the 45k tread wear warranty (but time will tell).

Noise has increased slightly with tread wear but not much. They are slightly noisier than a BFG Ko2 but quieter than a Goodyear Duratrac. Much much quieter than any MT style tire including BFG KM2, Destination MT, Toyo MT, Goodyear MTR and similar. Definite win in the noise category!

They track extremely well on road. No drifting or pulling. Love this!

Durability has been excellent off road. I’m sure the 3 ply sidewall has helped here. We’ve run the tires at 25-35psi on gravel and 15-25psi in snow. Minimal tread block chunking from rock crawling. Minimal tread edge rounding. No complaints for durability or traction in deep snow, gravel, rock, sand or mud.

Compact snow/ice isn’t great. Not bad but definitely not a 3 peak snowflake tire. Not an ideal tire for this condition.

Cons:
Tread wear – especially the center tread blocks likely from heavy loads
Compact snow/ice – not great but to be expected

Pros:
On Road – Fairly quiet, track well
Durability – 3 ply sidewall - work excellent aired down
Deep Snow – Excellent
Rock Crawling – Excellent
Gravel Roads – Good
Sand – Good
MPG – Good considering tread

Would I recommend them? Sure! If they fit your uses.

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's an excellent chart and spec sheet! Thanks for sharing. Love it.

From the inflation chart (pg35) it seems my load D 124Q tire should be 22psi front and 31psi rear. The rear is carrying about 3k lbs per tire with the camper full load. That seems really low!

Based on the same Toyo 37x12.5R17 tires size inflation table (pg 31)... It should be slightly under 30psi front / slightly over 40psi rear

Gravel/dirt roads at sub 50mph (I've been running): 25psi front / 30-35psi rear

I'll test drop the on road pressure to 35psi front and 45psi rear (with camper no trailer). See how it does. I don't want to go too low on road for higher speeds and cornering (weight transfer). I think it's really interesting how the Load D tires can carry more weight with less PSI. Seems they must have a sturdy sidewall to facilitate that.

Find it interesting how many of the "oversize" large diameter Load D tires are rated to carry more weight than Load E tires (same size - different brand). It seems the Load rating has much to do with max PSI. Load D (50psi). Load E (65+psi). Load F (80psi). I much prefer the lower psi with higher load capacity for improved bump absorption and much faster airing up/down.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I think it's really interesting how the Load D tires can carry more weight with less PSI. Seems they must have a sturdy sidewall to facilitate that.

I don't know, but it could mean the opposite. Overheating due to sidewall flex is an issue that dictates higher pressures... and the more stiff/sturdy the sidewall the more heat it's likely to generate at a given pressure. Sidewall stiffness doesn't hold up your tire... that's almost entirely pressure. Size makes a big difference too.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That's an excellent chart and spec sheet! Thanks for sharing. Love it.

Find it interesting how many of the "oversize" large diameter Load D tires are rated to carry more weight than Load E tires (same size - different brand).

I thought I had posted the link here as well. Might have been my F350 FS thread or another thread. Thx for posting again rruff, definitely excellent info.

"Find it interesting how many of the "oversize" large diameter Load D tires are rated to carry more weight than Load E tires (same size - different brand)"...FOR THE SAME PSI.
It is really interesting, especially as so many here have suggested running an E-load tire (like a 35x12.5R17) since it should have a stiffer carcass/sidewall. But look at the 37x12.5R17 you're running (yours is D-load = what was 8ply), max 3525lbs load per tire at 50psi max; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5QR7GXAT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Versus an E/35" which can't carry 3195lbs max until 65psi max.

The Toyo link on pg31 doesn't seem applicable to other tires, since your Yoko is ~3525lbs max, not the 3195lbs the Toyo site mentions.

It is also confusing that the TR link shows the D load at 3525psi max at 50psi max, but hover over 124Q and it says 3580lbs max, when TR's tech page says 124 load index is 3527lbs max; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
Someone make up their damn mind!

I agree with you Peter, it's nice to be able to carry more load at less psi. Since I wanted to learn more as to how the D tire can do that vs the E tire (as I always thought E was stiffer), I went searching. Maybe this is the answer; https://www.treadwright.com/blogs/treadwright-blog/understanding-tires-load-index-vs-load-range
"Load range is the older measurement standard of "PLY Rating." This refers to the construct of the tire, which is made out of rubber and cord layers referred to as “plies.” Historically, more plies meant a tire had a larger load carrying capacity, so manufacturers would count a tire’s plies and use this number to denote carrying capacity. However, the modern construction of tires uses fewer piles without sacrificing the carrying capacity."

So, no longer pay as much attention to load range (D or E load), but instead pay more attention to load index capacity (124 = at least 3527lbs max per tire).

montypower

Adventure Time!
Great info. I'd be curious to measure the sidewall of the same brand tire in a load D vs load E with equivalent load index. It would be interesting how much "thicker" the sidewall is (if any). I'm sure this could vary between manufacturers.

It would seem load E tire would be a thicker sidewall than load D. But based on the load index... it's surprising how many load E tires are not rated to carry 3,525lbs like these load D tires. I do think the load rating is more important than the letter designation.

However, if you want a stiff tire on road getting a higher letter load rating with higher PSI will achieve that desire. I could see that making sense on a tow rig or something that stays on pavement for best steering response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior