2020 F250 7.3 10 spd rear diff order question

D

Deleted member 9101

He could probably make the warranty stick with 35" tires and as Ford does that with the Tremor package, the tune would be the real issue (and something I considered when I ordered my tunes) considering the ability to check codes by the dealer. Lift and tires would make it more difficult on the waranty

Most tuning companies sell warranties to cover modified motors. :)

Skinhyfish

Observer
With 35's, I say dont bother.
Bigger than that, go for deeper gears.

We roll on 35's with our 3:55 geared 6-speed 6.2

While deeper gears might FEEL better, the truck does great as is.
Even in North Idaho where we rarely exceed even 60MPH and where nothing is flat, we use all but 6th gear.

Anywhere else, Nevada, CA, UT trips, 6th gear is used on the highway at 60+ MPH

It has the torque, and delivers. Your 7.3 with the 10-speed should only be better.

North Idaho travel we see 8-10MPG
Flatlands, its 10-12MPG

50199183173_455b5d5077_b.jpg

I had 3.73 and went to 4.56. Stock gearing is horrible compared to New gears in my 6.2. Truck is a whole new animal. Buy the steeper gears. Stock option suggested is a horrible idea. Coming from a guy who had both. Gears is the best money spent. I would get stock to change to a 4.56 for your tire size and weight. If just wanting factory choice go 4.30 all day long!!!!!! B

MTVR

Buying primarily as a long distance highway vehicle and hunting vehicle, will occasionally pull 29 and 33 Freeman cats, 10-13k shorter distances. May add FWC.

Those intended uses are all different enough, that if you try to meet all those needs with the single vehicle that you describe, you will end up with a vehicle that is compromised (at best) at any one purpose, and downright horrible for the other two.

A better option might be to select vehicles based on your actual intended usage, even if that means buying more than one vehicle.

A new 7.3-liter gas F250 supercab 4x4 pickup with lift kit and 37" tires, is a ridiculous choice for your primary usage- solo slabbing on the highway. Any passenger car would be a vastly superior choice as compared to getting 8 mpg in a truck that was specially modified to make it ride rougher, with noisy oversized mud tires that wear out sooner and cost more to replace. You don't need a pickup bed, four wheel drive, or an extended cab to do that.

There are so many choices that would work well- 996-generation Porsche 911s are dirt cheap now, get good fuel mileage, are decent Grand Touring cars, and are not going to depreciate. The new 4-cylinder Mustang is plenty peppy, get great fuel mileage, and are quite affordable. Any 2/3/4 series BMW is a dignified and comfortable way to adjust your zip code, and their European Delivery program makes for an epic vacation. Hell, even an entry-level Hyundai would work better than a lifted F250.

That vehicle is also not the best choice for a hunting vehicle. When you slip off the road and land on your door handle in a ditch, you'd be much happier with an old standard-cab long box 4x4 F150 with roll-up windows, rubber mats, and peeling paint.

And towing 13,000 pounds in a lifted truck with oversized tires, is just poor judgement. Since you said you only do it occasionally, just rent an appropriate truck occasionally to do that with.

yfarm

Observer
Option listD6F22535-9C69-48D0-B992-E5F25C8DE69F.jpeg
Towing 8 miles to get Yamaha F350s serviced Or move to a ranch in the event of a hurricane. Its difficult to get a 911 into the Brokeoff Mts for a sheep hunt and towing a trailer with a UTV is also a problem. Interestingly my back does better on 1000 mile interstate days in my Raptor than my wifes Cayenne. To each to his own. No plans to lift except for front level perhaps. Better shocks. Just need ground clearance and washboard road performance. Would have bought Tremor but only available as CCSB configuration. Have towed heavy large boats around the Gulf of Mexico for years with stock Cummins without issue. Now I use a commercial hauler for those distances. No argument about lifted trucks towing large boats. Had a partner with a 911T, was a 2 hrs in the seat vehicle before getting out for a 20 minute break. Bought the wife an E350 4 matic, one trip had back problems for a month. You can keep the high end german cars where you sit on the floor.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I had 3.73 and went to 4.56. Stock gearing is horrible compared to New gears in my 6.2. Truck is a whole new animal. Buy the steeper gears. Stock option suggested is a horrible idea. Coming from a guy who had both. Gears is the best money spent. I would get stock to change to a 4.56 for your tire size and weight. If just wanting factory choice go 4.30 all day long!!!!!! B

"while new animal":

Like I said, deeper gears will FEEL better, but are far from needed.
And I pretty well guarantee your "whole new animal" came at a cost, in both expense for the swap and MPG.

Its an added expense that will take YEARS to recoup, if you ever recoup it.... especially if you are silly enough to do it aftermarket.
Then you are rolling the dice on the knucklehead that built the rear-end.
Most rear end failures are due to improper gear swaps.

Stock size for most 3/4 and 1-ton superduties with the 6.2 is greater than 33" (275/75R18)
Pushing to 35's without a gear change is simple, economical, and proven.

tacollie

Glamper
Option listView attachment 604797
Towing 8 miles to get Yamaha F350s serviced Or move to a ranch in the event of a hurricane. Its difficult to get a 911 into the Brokeoff Mts for a sheep hunt and towing a trailer with a UTV is also a problem. Interestingly my back does better on 1000 mile interstate days in my Raptor than my wifes Cayenne. To each to his own. No plans to lift except for front level perhaps. Better shocks. Just need ground clearance and washboard road performance. Would have bought Tremor but only available as CCSB configuration. Have towed heavy large boats around the Gulf of Mexico for years with stock Cummins without issue. Now I use a commercial hauler for those distances. No argument about lifted trucks towing large boats. Had a partner with a 911T, was a 2 hrs in the seat vehicle before getting out for a 20 minute break. Bought the wife an E350 4 matic, one trip had back problems for a month. You can keep the high end german cars where you sit on the floor.
That's the truck I want. A truck like that was on a local lot. I was really tempted to go pick it up. Luckily there arn't to many super cabs with 4.30s to lure me.

13000lbs will be fine occasionally.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There are very few supercabs at all anyhow...

Most get soaked up by fleet sales as most consumers seem to want a crew cab.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Most tuning companies sell warranties to cover modified motors. :)

I still wouldn't touch a tune on a new truck like that. Who are you gonna trust with your brand new engine, some random tuner with their 1 year/12k warranty or the factory 6year/75k warranty? Why would you [potentially] undercut yourself from 5 years worth of protection? I'm not saying don't tune modern/new vehicles, thats not the argument, its regarding the warranty. Its not a knock on aftermarket tunes either, many of them bring new life to an otherwise tired engine.

carlo muro

I think this 7.3 with the 10 speed is going to surprise a lot of people. Sure, it’s only half the torque output of the diesel but the power is nearly the same and that 10 speed is going to keep it in its sweet spot at all times. 20 years ago when we only had 3 and 4 speed automatic transmissions, the torque of the diesel was crucial. These days with 8 or more ratios, the gas engines are going to get back into the game.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wait I missed 13,000lbs, 4.30's without a doubt, and you really should have a diesel for that much weight...

Promise ya...the 7.3 will drag 13k with zero issue. A diesel would be a waste of money, especially for the OP.

D

Deleted member 9101

I still wouldn't touch a tune on a new truck like that. Who are you gonna trust with your brand new engine, some random tuner with their 1 year/12k warranty or the factory 6year/75k warranty? Why would you [potentially] undercut yourself from 5 years worth of protection? I'm not saying don't tune modern/new vehicles, thats not the argument, its regarding the warranty. Its not a knock on aftermarket tunes either, many of them bring new life to an otherwise tired engine.

You can get a 6 year 100k warranty that covers heavily modified motors and it's cheaper than an extended warranty from the dealership. ;-)

D

Deleted member 9101

I think this 7.3 with the 10 speed is going to surprise a lot of people. Sure, it’s only half the torque output of the diesel but the power is nearly the same and that 10 speed is going to keep it in its sweet spot at all times. 20 years ago when we only had 3 and 4 speed automatic transmissions, the torque of the diesel was crucial. These days with 8 or more ratios, the gas engines are going to get back into the game.

The videos of the 7.3 towing are pretty cool. It destroys its gas powered competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles