2020 F250 6.7L Tremor w/ Carli & 37’s Build Thread

Trixxx

Getting nearly finished with the truck and figured I would start a build thread to document everything I’ve done to it, my opinions on it, etc. It is used to tow my heavy duty, off road Casita (which at about 4300 lbs, feels like nothing behind this truck).

Casita build thread can be found here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/off-road-heavy-duty-casita-build.216478/

Back history - In 2013, I bought a new F250 Lariat with the 6.7L motor and 6 spd transmission. I did quite a few things to the truck - 20” fuel wheels, 35” Toyo MT’s, Bakflip Cover, fender flares, 60 gal aux fuel tank, basic commuter Carli lift, and a few other things. Overall, I loved the truck and it was nearly bullet proof for the 4 years and 77k miles I had it. At the time, I was full timing in a 42’ Toy Hauler, so I needed something to haul it with. After 4 years, I started a long term job and didn’t expect to need to move my trailer for years as we were living it. I sold the truck for $40k cash, and picked up a new 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road for $39.5k. Seemed like a bargain getting a brand new well build vehicle for less I sold the truck for. We did similar mods to the 4runner as the truck - full lift, Toyo RT’s w/ Method wheels, sliders, bumper, Baja design lights, yadda yadda. While the 4runner is probably one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, it didn’t take long for us to miss the truck. The size, comfort, capability for hauling gear, power, etc.

With that in mind, I had a couple years to figure out exactly what I wanted when we got back into a full sized super duty.

I had a few basic requirements that were a must:
Star White or Iconic Silver
Tremor Package
Lariat Sport (black out/match paint) package
6.7L Diesel (475 HP, 1050 ft/lbs torque)
10 spd transmission (all of them have this now, but possibly the 6.2L gas?)
Upfitter Switches
Tailgate Step
Remote Start
Lariat Value Package (I didn’t want a moonroof or all the features of the Lariat Ultimate Package - a lot of cost for stuff I specifically didn’t want)

Took some time, but eventually found a truck on a lot that basically clicked all the boxes without a bunch of crap I didn’t want. MSRP was $75k and I got them down to about $68.5k or so. It was definitely the lowest they would go. I offered $68k, waited a few days, and they still wouldn’t budge on that.

The Tremor package looked good enough stock that I didn‘t mind driving it for a while before upgrading the wheels/tires/suspension. IMO, the stock super duty’s looks so terrible that I wouldn‘t have left the lot without having everything on order. I made it about 15k miles before upgrading these parts.

Here’s the truck stock after taking it home and also a trial run hooked up to the trailer:

838C80D8-384C-49DA-B7FF-664D547B905E.jpeg

A2C09A42-07A3-40D4-81BB-0F49D431E8E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Trixxx

First things to get sorted were the basics:
1. Ceramic tint in front to the max that’s legal in TX
2. Get a kennel for our German Shepherd that fits in the back
3. Rear floor mat - we wanted a full floor mat that sat flat on the floor. This meant removing the rear storage. While the storage would fold somewhat flat, it was still raised about an inch which meant the kennel couldn’t sit completely flat.

I had a Chocolate Lab from 16-29, and now our German Shepherd from mid 29-now (I’m currently 32). Prior to this truck, the dogs always had free reign in the car. That always resulted in tons of dog hair, and scratched up plastic parts. With this truck, I was ready to try and keep some of that contained. With some measurements, we found a kennel that works great for him. We’ve had him in in 6 months now, and thousands and thousands of miles (recently did a 23 hour trip over two days) and we don’t hear a peep out of him. He is just as excited to go in there as he ever was the back seat/hatch of previous vehicles.

A36BB432-56CD-4713-96D5-A15DFC8ABC6B.jpegC9E894F8-6274-4710-B3FC-C306FDB1D664.jpeg6333AAD4-4877-4D8D-AEA9-266B4C231A66.jpeg

Trixxx

Next steps were getting the bed sorted for added/secure storage. I like the functionality of bed caps, but not overly fond of the look and the one I wanted most was an all steel industrial one that was about $6000 optioned how I wanted. Also, being steel, not easy to remove. On my last F250 I had a bakflip, which was very functional and kept the contents secure. This go around, I no longer have a 5th wheel to tow so I didn’t need it to be as easily folded/removable, and I also wanted some load capacity.

This led me to a diamondback bed cover. I’m not a fan of diamond plate, but fortunately, they had just come out with a non-diamond plate model.

I had also been eyeballing the built right bed panels for my jack, shovel, axe, and eventual air compressor/accessories.

I could not be more impressed with the build quality of both the bed cover and built right panels.

Lastly, I also added a husky bed mat, which has been great.

515F3553-C73D-45A0-B4D3-C9B8575D749F.jpeg6CF32566-C500-406B-9DB2-A62ADD7B9E83.jpeg964406CE-1EEE-4F5C-A028-1F86AB76755F.jpeg5E8B8624-7D01-405B-8884-A671307BE7F2.jpeg

Trixxx

I didn’t have any intention of mounting any “big” items on the cover, and also didn’t want things I mounted up there to damage the powdercoat on the cover. I had an idea in my head of adding front runner racks over the front and rear panels, so I could have the flexibility of the racks, yet still open the front and rear sections. I haven’t seen this done anywhere else so I was really praying that it would turn out as well as I had pictured in my head.

More than ever, the old adage of “measure twice, cut once” became more of a... “measure 47 times, drill once” when it came to lining up the rack on the cover. The truck beds actually taper back, so the front of the truck bed is a few inches wider than the rear. This also made me unsure if it would look out of place.. square racks on a tapered surface..

Once it was complete, I was incredibly content with the results. It turned out as great as I could have added, and should I need the big flat surface, the racks are pretty easy to remove. I’m still able to open both front and rear panels no problem.

I should also add that my wife is a beast, and of the countless heavily modified vehicles I have owned over the years, she has been there helping every single step of the way. Very thankful for the extra set of hands that is always happy to help and learn.

B0C4677E-F9FD-433F-B2EE-C9A8F24270A1.jpeg423AD172-B865-4C6A-BE33-A62D2D2A9AE7.jpeg55153EA2-F490-4FC3-8BF3-0A04DDEB8A9D.jpegEF65F45C-DDC2-4D0F-BA86-7DD0E3C429D8.jpeg9E3A920B-09C8-4191-AA9E-C86892CDFC26.jpegF85A766E-8AE9-4AC8-A5F7-9C71910C490A.jpeg

Last edited:

Trixxx

Which Carli setup are you going with? Any plans to regear?

Doing the Carli Backcountry Leveling Kit w/ full rear spring replacements, upper steering stabilizer, and stainless steel end links. The whole kit has been ordered and should arrive in the next 4-6 weeks. I had the wheels/tires installed last weekend, they rub a little and it took a little trimming, but they’re fine until the lift kit goes on. Have some basic mud flaps that will go on then as well.

No need to regear, on the truck it feels like I barely lost any power. I get better fuel mileage with these 37’s than I did on my 2013 F250 with 35’s...

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
Looks good. With the awning mounted are you going to run into any issues with opening the tailgate with the bed cover closed? I ask because my old truck I put an ARE cover on it and it had a little lip over the tailgate.

I didn’t have any intention of mounting any “big” items on the cover, and also didn’t want things I mounted up there to damage the powdercoat on the cover. I had an idea in my head of adding front runner racks over the front and rear panels, so I could have the flexibility of the racks, yet still open the front and rear sections. I haven’t seen this done anywhere else so I was really praying that it would turn out as well as I had pictured in my head.

More than ever, the old adage of “measure twice, cut once” became more of a... “measure 47 times, drill once” when it came to lining up the rack on the cover. The truck beds actually taper back, so the front of the truck bed is a few inches wider than the rear. This also made me unsure if it would look out of place.. square racks on a tapered surface..

Once it was complete, I was incredibly content with the results. It turned out as great as I could have added, and should I need the big flat surface, the racks are pretty easy to remove. I’m still able to open both front and rear panels no problem.

I should also add that my wife is a beast, and of the countless heavily modified vehicles I have owned over the years, she has been there helping every single step of the way. Very thankful for the extra set of hands that is always happy to help and learn.

View attachment 635490View attachment 635491View attachment 635492View attachment 635494View attachment 635495View attachment 635496
Love that setup, well done with the two racks! “measure 47 times, drill once” haha ain't that the truth.
-Farinn

Trixxx

Looks good. With the awning mounted are you going to run into any issues with opening the tailgate with the bed cover closed? I ask because my old truck I put an ARE cover on it and it had a little lip over the tailgate.

Should be all good to go. The awning is the same length as the bed. When the awning is on, I can’t open up the front/back of the diamondback cap, however. Not the end of the world.

With the bike installed, there’s still clearance to open up the rear portion of the cover.

I’ve been building the truck and trailer up with the expectation to take a 4-6 month sabbatical after my current project ends late this summer (I’m a contractor). I just got an offer two weeks ago for a 2-3 year contract position, plus my wife is now pregnant with our first, due August 1st.. With all that in mind, future epic trips are put on a bit of a hold.

2FE936C3-9D94-4348-B3CD-C3E1B46CC76D.jpeg

Trixxx

Next steps were the dual ARB Compressor and a ROAM Box. The bed is now basically completely set up how I want.

We did around 4000 miles over Christmas. Houston>Dallas (big 12 championship)>Phoenix>Tonto National Forest (AZ)>Gila National Forest (NM) > back to Texas where we got hammered by a massive snowstorm.. Turned the 13 hour drive into 22 hours of drive time.. 72C28FF6-9FDD-4EE9-A95C-1C6C8B1BED45.jpegEA365E1C-D274-4503-9969-E5FA990D2598.jpegAE1E9C4F-F477-437C-87DE-583CE932EE61.jpeg0FEDDFC0-D863-45EE-85F4-646EB7026335.jpeg307C5976-39B7-4225-BEA2-23FBE391AE21.jpeg20976E7D-14C4-4880-B3C2-76E1AC8B4422.jpeg1EE13007-EE0E-4FAE-BD3D-0F02ABDC0101.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz