2020 EarthCruiser?

Any updates on the 2020 EC build? Are there any habitat changes in store? What kind of transfer case, driveshafts and axles are going to be used? Any idea on gearing? What (if anything) is going to replace the Webasto heaters and cooktop? Just fishing for info :)

Last edited:

carterd

I attended a presentation on the 2020 EarthCruiser at the recent Overland Expo West. A few tidbits that are not mentioned in the EC press release:

• Axles will be DynaTrac 80, which are based off the Dana 80
  • ARB lockers available front and rear
  • Axle widths will be the same and will have Ram bolt-spacing. This will make off-the-shelf wheel options available.
  • I believe 37" tires will be standard
  • HERO 2 speed transfer case. EC is finalizing the gear ratios
  • They are going to use the same 2019 EC "box". Because the truck will start as a 2WD model, the frame rails will be straight as opposed to the stepped configuration of the 4WD chassis. This will allow space for 2 storage boxes to be placed up front under the stepped portion of the box. A slide-out kitchen option can go here.

Steve_382

I attended a presentation on the 2020 EarthCruiser at the recent Overland Expo West. A few tidbits that are not mentioned in the EC press release:

• Axles will be DynaTrac 80, which are based off the Dana 80
  • ARB lockers available front and rear
  • Axle widths will be the same and will have Ram bolt-spacing. This will make off-the-shelf wheel options available.
  • I believe 37" tires will be standard
  • HERO 2 speed transfer case. EC is finalizing the gear ratios
  • They are going to use the same 2019 EC "box". Because the truck will start as a 2WD model, the frame rails will be straight as opposed to the stepped configuration of the 4WD chassis. This will allow space for 2 storage boxes to be placed up front under the stepped portion of the box. A slide-out kitchen option can go here.
Thanks for the information. I hope to visit them later this summer in OR. Anxious to see the final product. Seems like a perfect size vehicle for what the wife and I need.

Porkchopexpress

Maybe this is an ignorant question, but any possibility of Earth Roamer offering a 7.3 gasoline option? Depending on the numbers when Ford releases it, it seems like it could be a practical alternative for traveling in countries without the ultra low sulfur diesel. I know there are emission delete options but I assume those can void warranties and cause state inspection problems if you bring it back to the US.

Steve_382

Just my guess, but even the smaller EarthRoamer likely needs the extra torque of the diesel. Though after I say that, I think of the 36' Winnebagos that are running the V10s. Not too fast, but they roll down the road at 70+ MPH. Haven't seen the specs on the new 7.3 gas engine, but it might be stronger than the V10, so might work.

DzlToy

Explorer
Earhroamer uses F550 chassis cabs and based on what I was told at the NTEA show in Indy, the new 7.3L pushrod motor will not be offered in the F550. This may have changed since March, as the engine had just been released.

Earthcruiser uses the Fuso platform (now FE, formerly FG), while Earthroamer uses Ford chassis cabs. As far as I know, those brands are model specific, i.e. Earthroamer does not build on a Fuso.

Wondering if anyone has anymore scuttlebutt on the 2020 Earthcruiser? Pricing? Habitat updates (outdoor kitchen, etc.)? I haven't seen anything on their site on this.

Redheddedwonder

I know I could call earthcruiser but we would still be roughly 2 years out from buying one. Do people expect the crew cab price to go up? The camper would be the short version so I assume it wouldn't raise the price too much?

gregmchugh

Observer
For those who are interested in the 2020 Earthcruiser there are weekly posts showing the first build on the Earthcruiser Facebook and Instagram pages. This week shows the Hero 2 Transfer Case installation.

Attachments

• 83FF9909-1BF0-42E8-B181-1C78D733F319.jpeg
    83FF9909-1BF0-42E8-B181-1C78D733F319.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 219

DzlToy

Explorer
Awesome transfer case; I wonder where they got the idea?

Great ground clearance with the case clocked down like that :D

For those who are interested in the 2020 Earthcruiser there are weekly posts showing the first build on the Earthcruiser Facebook and Instagram pages. This week shows the Hero 2 Transfer Case installation.
Hmmmm.... curious about how this going together. Seems like this would compromise breakover angle a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles