2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDROVER

Explorer
Old discovery or RRC had old Buick engine, very similar, ( nit exactly). not ford engine.
Newer rovers had ford engine.
2006 to 2015 I think.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Haha
I speak for myself, this new Land Rover is fake defender.
That's not what you said. You said it was a "fake vehicle".

unibody SUV? Haha what’s the difference between HONDA CRV and the new Land Rover ?
They both have same technology, same train management, same independent suspension.
Yes, and by the same token, a rallye car, a kia, your Honda CRV, a ferrari, a Formula 1 car, an autocross car, a modern double-decker bus, and so on, are all the same vehicle. [/sarcasm]

I am still waiting for you to link us to those 2-3 year old Defenders (as that is the time frame of your first claim) that is a mere 10th of the price of the original. Or even your subsequent claim of "9 years". So where are those links? 2-3 year old defenders at 10 % of original price? 9 year old Defenders at 10% of the original price?
Come now, at some point, your endless moving of the goal posts needs to be called out. Put up or shut up.

REDROVER

Explorer
I said new defender is fake defender and yes it is fake for me.

I didn’t say 2 or 3 year old defender is 90% less in price, older REAL defender keeps its value well.

I said I think by the time iPhone 13 comes out this new defender will drop in value about 90%

DieselRanger

Because it was the cheapest drivetrain available?
Technically it was the highest margin-earning drivetrain available since Ford owned JLR at the time, and they could use the engines from other applications, which spread the cost of development that much more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

REDROVER

Explorer
Anything else U wanna say? Check your facts before posting and checking on the topic.
Land Rover engines were actually ford v8 motors slightly modified, used on all newer crown Vic’s.
But u know everything and we don’t.
6685A536-FBBB-49A2-907D-3C67C2D4E8DA.png

DieselRanger

Realize that LR is competing at a much lower price point than a Ferrari. Potential buyers are sub-$100K and in reality the volume is sub-$65K. As already highlighted in this thread the competition is Jeep and the upcoming Bronco. For the emerging D5 segment it is what was the VW Touareg and somewhere in the Porsche Macan/Cayenne area. I'm guessing as the D5 direction hasn't fully emerged. Remember, "new" D5 owners think it is a great vehicle. The challenge for LR is to increase those new customers while the "old" customers migrate to the Luxury Defender. I am being serious when my wife sat in the D5 and said it was really no different than a KIA. That was a design choice by LR.
What Kia?

I will say the Koreans are coming up fast and with a purpose. Would have loved to have a Genesis G70 3.3T AWD for my wife, so that when she has to drive the Disco I can have some fun, but Hyundai totally f*cked up the Genesis entry by not opening with a bargain-lux SUV and not allowing Hyundai dealers who didn't build out separate showrooms and service bays to take orders.

That said, right now the Korean bargain lux vehicles are still a bit "thin" - they are showroom-nice, but they trim cost on durable materials, so in 5 years they look like a clapped out hoopty on the inside. I have family that swear by them but they quickly moved to leases after buying their first one, and then 3-1/2 years later realizing they're sitting on seats that feel like wooden benches because the foam cushion packed out.

I don't think Land Rover has that problem.

DieselRanger

Here is some "tech" - LR is working on "remote control" for the Defender

Doesn't mention it in this article, but they've been looking at autonomous driving tech for off-roading for years, and specifically bringing in wounded warriors through the Invictus Games to test it out and provide feedback. The videos they have shown in their customer engagement groups are eye-watering.

rlynch356

Defyota
Well the new defender is a aluminum unibody, and it is the same design as say a Honda Ridgeline or CRV/highlander/telluride (those are steel but same concept)..

So it’s a “strengthened” CUV... exactly the same as the Range Rover, rolls Royce, Porsche, Audi, and Bentley platforms. Basically it’s competition

All current “Truck” platforms are based on a frame and a body. (HiLix, 70 series, 200 series land cruiser, g wagon, suburban, jeep, Dodge Ram 15-3500, ford, Chevy, Toyota Tacoma/tundra, etc... the list goes on... ) and I don’t see any of them rushing to change that formula.

Basically those are the facts. I don’t think it’s wrong or controversial to say that...

So it’s not a truck.. it’s targeting different buyers than the truck platforms.

I’m sure it will be fine off road maybe great but all the press shots with it lifting a wheel high in the air tell me that it’s road optimized, and light trail capable. And that’s it’s use case..

Which for the target market is great.. and makes sense. I hope they sell a lot of them and can move people from the JLR sport platforms to them.

DieselRanger

Anything else U wanna say? Check your facts before posting and checking on the topic.
Land Rover engines were actually ford v8 motors slightly modified, used on all newer crown Vic’s.
But u know everything and we don’t.
View attachment 541487
Um, *who* has to check their facts? The supercharged 8 you reference is absolutely not a Crown Vic engine, or even anything close to a Crown Vic engine - except that they were both developed by Ford, decades apart.

The supercharged AJ V8 that was in Jags and Range Rovers in the 2K's was a Jaguar-designed engine that was produced in Ford's plant in a "factory within a factory," which allows for savings in supply chain, G&A costs, and labor. Ford actually used that Jaguar engine in the Lincoln LS, the T-Bird, and Astons. None of which is a Crown Vic.

The current supercharged AJ V8 your article references was created after the Crown Vic ceased production - it has never, ever been fitted in a Crown Vic off the showroom floor.

I give you four Pinocchio's on that one. Literally five minutes of Googling would have perhaps warned you that you were full of ********.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Ah , once again with the moving of goal posts and outright lying.

I said new defender is fake defender and yes it is fake for me.
No. You said "fake vehicle". I even quoted it for you.

I didn’t say 2 or 3 year old defender is 90% less in price, older REAL defender keeps its value well.

You said that the Defender would be 10 percent of the original when the iPhone 13 comes out (which is in a couple of years). And when confronted with this, you tried to prove it with claiming that 9 year old (it was suddenly 9 years for no apparent reason) was 10 percent of the original price.

I said I think by the time iPhone 13 comes out this new defender will drop in value about 90%
Sigh! Yes, that's in 2 or 3 years.

Still waiting for you to link to 2-3 or even 9 year old defenders selling at 10 percent of the original price.

DieselRanger

Well the new defender is a aluminum unibody, and it is the same design as say a Honda Ridgeline or CRV/highlander/telluride (those are steel but same concept)..

It's not an aluminum structure, it has standard steel, high strength steel (which is a very specific kind of steel produced with specific matallurgical processes), and ultra-high-strength steel in addition to aluminum and magnesium. The body panels are aluminum, just like the original created in 1948.

Its structure is three times stronger than a ladder frame vehicle of the same dimensions - in other words, three times stronger than, say, a Wrangler Rubicon. I should say, three times stronger in comparison to a *properly welded* Wrangler Rubicon, which seems to be something of a crap shoot these days.

The design is nowhere near the same as those other vehicles - the way it handles stress and strain, the way it behaves in crashes and off-road, literally every element of its design is different.

REDROVER

Explorer
Show me where I said anything about old real defender being 90% less.
You are a flat out lier.

19B25498-FBFD-4B3E-9E10-5FBF50FACC60.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles