2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorsten

I think it'll be a pretty cool car and it might replace my wife's Trailhawk but lets get realistic guys. I just build one that has the same level of luxury as the Ram Longhorn I have on order and it came to over $80k.
Is your WK2 Trailhawk the 5.7L? Beefy Hemi power, cheaper to maintain, cheap parts easily accessible in the USA.... IDK, that's a tough one. I think the towing and payload of the new Defender are impressive, but not sure I'd bail on a well equipped Trailhawk for it. Maybe if money wasn't a factor and I was really curious -- sure why not see what the fuss is all about :)

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Is your WK2 Trailhawk the 5.7L? Beefy Hemi power, cheaper to maintain, cheap parts easily accessible in the USA.... IDK, that's a tough one. I think the towing and payload of the new Defender are impressive, but not sure I'd bail on a well equipped Trailhawk for it. Maybe if money wasn't a factor and I was really curious -- sure why not see what the fuss is all about :)

Unfortunately it's got the 6. Gutless. My wife thinks it's cool. That's really the only reason she drives anything. Let's get realistic. And that will be the reason the next car is chosen. Who the hell knows. She might want a new Navigator next time. Those are crazy nice inside.

We take my Ram on any trip anywhere. It's significantly more comfortable on trips with the entire family due to the camper top keeping 100% of the bags out of the people space and the large interior giving us a ton of room.

Thorsten

So is the Defender going to rob sales from Discovery or is Discovery from Defender? Or other RR models maybe; or do they discontinue one all together because Disco5 already comes fully loaded at Base V6 Defender price with zero options except 395hp V6 and tow package, and terrain response.
This is what I want to know! The Defender we got today is closer to what I had hoped the Discovery 5 was going to be. The Disco 5 design aesthetics are really unpalatable if you are a fan of the boxy LR3/4, so this new Defender is a much more welcomed sight in my book. That said, if this is what the Defender has become / has to be in the year 2019 -- why do we still need the Discovery? Land Rover has too many product lines! They need to trim the fat and figure out their identity and profitable offerings --- axe everything else that doesn't strong serve either brand identity or profits.

Bobzdar

Observer
If you want the underpowered, non-diesel option it's $55k base with off-road; put the real engine in it that you will surely need for an adventure rig and your price is now $70k.

Aussies can get a 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel BRAND NEW LC Troopy BASE Model for $55k; low range gearbox and locked all around. LR missed the mark IMO opinion solely on price! Another 10k and you can get an RR Base model which will take sales from Defender and vice/versa from the mall crawler club.

I'll have to wait a few years for aftermarket and someone else to pay that depreciation; most likely look to pick up a cheap Disco5 trade-in with some options and save me $35k.

Defender is going to be a cool vehicle, extremely overpriced and no chance it fixes their finance problems at that price range! They still need to trim up their models to what sells and what doesn't.

When did 300hp become 'underpowered'? That's ridiculous.

Thorsten

Unfortunately it's got the 6. Gutless. My wife thinks it's cool. That's really the only reason she drives anything. Let's get realistic. And that will be the reason the next car is chosen. Who the hell knows. She might want a new Navigator next time. Those are crazy nice inside.

We take my Ram on any trip anywhere. It's significantly more comfortable on trips with the entire family due to the camper top keeping 100% of the bags out of the people space and the large interior giving us a ton of room.
Ok that makes more sense for the 'looks cool' motivation factor.
I'm trying to head in that RAM direction myself. Shopping RAM 2500 Power Wagons. Will put a SnugTop Rebel camper shell on it. Maybe a new Defender 130 would've been interesting but they didn't announce that this week and I am looking for something to fit family, gear, and big mastiff dogs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Land Rover isn't Ford or Toyota. Corporately they are forbidden from making such markups because there are so few dealers and they know customers will shop around - JLR NA keeps a pretty tight rein on the dealers. My dealer plays it straight - you'll pay MSRP and get any discounts they're offered. For a brand-new Discovery in 2017 ordered from the factory before production began (my small market serving 500,000 people ran out of their first four allocations in preorders), I got a military discount and a new customer discount totaling about $1500 all in, beyond that they let me run my arm down the swag shelf and gave me a military discount on the crossbars and that was it - the rest was MSRP or have a nice day, but they didn't charge any premiums.
Our local dealer wasn’t selling any for less than 70+. Claiming Limited shipments and high demand. Most were bought for more.

DieselRanger

I think it's hilarious that some of you guys actually think you'll be able to find one of these anywhere with a window sticker of less than $70k. Most of them will be sitting on the lot with a sticker either side of $80k. The base model is missing some pretty basic stuff that should be standard on a $55k car.

I think it'll be a pretty cool car and it might replace my wife's Trailhawk but lets get realistic guys. I just build one that has the same level of luxury as the Ram Longhorn I have on order and it came to over $80k.
They take orders, you know. Spec it how you like it. That's how I got my Disco....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Land Rover isn't Ford or Toyota. Corporately they are forbidden from making such markups because there are so few dealers and they know customers will shop around - JLR NA keeps a pretty tight rein on the dealers. My dealer plays it straight - you'll pay MSRP and get any discounts they're offered. For a brand-new Discovery in 2017 ordered from the factory before production began (my small market serving 500,000 people ran out of their first four allocations in preorders), I got a military discount and a new customer discount totaling about $1500 all in, beyond that they let me run my arm down the swag shelf and gave me a military discount on the crossbars and that was it - the rest was MSRP or have a nice day, but they didn't charge any premiums.
Nope they are 3rd party dealers. They can price them however they like.

nickw

Adventurer
If you want the underpowered, non-diesel option it's $55k base with off-road; put the real engine in it that you will surely need for an adventure rig and your price is now $70k.

Aussies can get a 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel BRAND NEW LC Troopy BASE Model for $55k; low range gearbox and locked all around. LR missed the mark IMO opinion solely on price! Another 10k and you can get an RR Base model which will take sales from Defender and vice/versa from the mall crawler club.

I'll have to wait a few years for aftermarket and someone else to pay that depreciation; most likely look to pick up a cheap Disco5 trade-in with some options and save me $35k.

Defender is going to be a cool vehicle, extremely overpriced and no chance it fixes their finance problems at that price range! They still need to trim up their models to what sells and what doesn't.
You realize the 2.0 has more power than a 40 series, 60 series, 80 series and is on par with a 100 series...its adequate.

After owning a ranger with the 2.3 EB, the new small displacement engines are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles