2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw

Adventurer
Let me clarify as I feel there are two types of comparisons that happen on this site.

Type 1: The person doing the comparison has a specific set of needs. Like me. Like you. I haul some things infrequently but so little that I just borrow my dads truck. I land survey a bit. I fly fish frequently. I backpack and climb. My girlfriend, myself, and our two dogs come in at 500 lbs. 80-90% of my driving is in a city. But there are definitely some rural areas I frequent just outside chattanooga. And my girlfriends mom lives 6 hours away at the beach plus we own a home in Atlanta I check up on from time to time. That’s all very personal info that allows me to compare one vehicle to another through the lens of my personal needs.

I need a decent payload, after adding some armor and gear I probably need 1400-1500 minimum if I’m taking dogs as well.

I never want to crawl rocks.

I like some creature comforts when toting clients around. Etc.

This type of comparison is reasonable and makes sense. I fully support this.

Type 2: This comparison seeks to find fault. “Well it doesn’t have ______ and _______ does!” “Well it cant _______ like my ________.” And it never stops to consider the possibility that the comparer obviously wasn’t the target market. You can say all day “well it doesn’t have the departure angle of my 92 d90” and frankly I don’t care. (Not saying you’ve personally done that just a general “you”). You can say “it doesn’t have the cargo volume of a ______” but if that’s our metric...then we all need unimogs. The fact is some people will be disappointed in the cargo volume of the 130 but the reality is many people still won’t be able to fill it up.

This car IMHO strikes a great balance between off-road capability, refinement, payload, and price. For my purposes.
Well said dude....

If most folks are HONEST with themselves, outside of price, this probably ticks the most boxes for the most people.

I can't think of a better expo platform offered in the US for a long long time....yeah, including the Toyota 80's, 100's, 200's....

gatorgrizz27

Can’t please everyone is what they say.

Bunch of people wanted a stripped down version at a decent price, which they have, someone else says it’s too expensive once you add all the bells and whistles.

It’s not a real Defender, then it’s not powerful enough with 300 hp. Most “real defenders” have sub 130 hp 4 cylinder diesels. The thing is 900 lbs lighter than my LR3, which also has 300 hp and MORE than enough grunt even with a 3,000 lb trailer behind it.

I’ve been very critical of the direction Land Rover has headed in lately, and I like V8’s as much as anybody, all 9 of the vehicles I’ve owned have had them. However, things are changing and you can’t even get a Ford Raptor with a V8 any more, towing capability has VERY little to do with HP and LOTS to do with weight and wheelbase.

You see the same thing with dual sport/adventure motorcycles where a small group of enthusiasts goes on and on about “if they’d only build a lightweight twin cylinder that can handle some dirt we’d buy one tomorrow.” Finally someone does and then it’s “got too many farkles to be a real dirt bike”, and “too bare bones to be a comfrotable adventure bike”, or “the gas tank is too small for real range”, or “the gas tank is humongous and will get damaged the first time it’s dropped.” Then the people who actually like it want to wait 3 years to see if it has any problems. After 2 years the manufacturer has only sold a couple thousand of them and pulls the plug due to weak sales.

If the thing ticks most of the boxes on your list and you’re in the market, go buy one. Otherwise us enthusiasts will be left choosing between a bunch of egg shaped mini van crossovers that are all the same, because they fly off the shelves to people that only care about the color and how well it connects to their cell phone.

T-Willy

Payloads of capable four wheel drive touring platforms...

1,984 lbs - Defender 110
1,670 lbs - Land Cruiser Heritage (regular is 1570)
1,660 lbs - Ram Power Wagon
1,560 lbs - Tundra TRD Pro
1,550 lbs - 4Runner TRD Pro
1,200 lbs - Gladiator Rubicon
1,155 lbs - Tacoma TRD Pro
1,100 lbs - Colorado ZR2
892 lbs - Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Edited to correct some figures.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
Is yours a Rubicon? If so the towing capacity of this is over 1k lbs more...

Yeah, towing is 7000lbs on it, though gladiator can have 7600lbs if optioned correctly (sport s max tow). Yhis is 500lbs more, though possibly less than that once optioned similarly to a Rubicon.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
I really don't think this new Defender is comparable in raw off-road ability to a Rubicon spec Gladiator, if that's what you have. The solid axles, articulation, more easily modified / extensible. Better on-road manners though, I certainly agree with you there. I'm skeptical on real-world towing... but maybe.This new vehicle looks like a great rig if it were unveiled as the new Discovery. As a Defender though, I find it a miss -- and I suspect in a few years the market will show that to be the case as well. Anyway, I think you can rest easy with your purchase choice!

Well, the defender would drag ass and high center less often, so I'm betting it'd be closer than a lot of jeep fans think. Plus with a winch it doesn't matter too much. And realistically you'd have to try to get either of them stuck.

I'm happy with the gladiator - it's awesome off road, can tow and haul what I need and makes a good daily driver to boot - but this defender is a lot better than I thought it'd be.

nickw

Adventurer
100% guaranteed that towing numbers are bull crap for perfect optimum conditions on flat road.
On the roads of Pacific Northwest
That defender can’t tow more than 4000 lb

It’s not magic it’s a fact,
My new Tacoma says it can tow 7700, absolutely lie
4500 lb struggling to go up 6% grade.
New Tacomas struggle period....two of us, gear and a couple dirtbikes and it's painful. That's a Tacoma problem more than anything else. Same payload in my Ranger, two bikes + gear, piece of cake.

aek50

Adventurer
I keep seeing comments about cargo space. But I figure everyone could fit their gear in an old 110 in 1995. In 1985. And since then gear has gotten exponentially lighter and smaller.

Cargo area in previous 110 was 62 cubic feet so new is dramatically smaller. Can see the 130 being very popular option in the states at least and prob what I’d go with. Two kids, dog and gear, the truck fills up quick and that is just to the cabin without tent, sleeping bags, pads and kitchen gear need to get in for a weekend of camping

T-Willy

[/QUOTE]
I can't think of a better expo platform offered in the US for a long long time....yeah, including the Toyota 80's, 100's, 200's....
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree--it ticks all of the remote touring boxes except for reliability. I'm an original 80 owner; it's still my remote touring platform. Will the new 110s still be tour worthy in 2048? Only time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.

catmann

The 130 should be trolling around somewhere by now if it is just a year out from release/reveal. Funny how all the spy shots emerge in such a professional and timely manner. I wonder how many real spy shots are actually out there versus the corporate approved spy shots...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
21,000 items processed makes me doubtful its a remote off road rig. Unless they give you the software and ability to zero out errors that strand you in BFE. Lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cargo area in previous 110 was 62 cubic feet so new is dramatically smaller. Can see the 130 being very popular option in the states at least and prob what I’d go with. Two kids, dog and gear, the truck fills up quick and that is just to the cabin without tent, sleeping bags, pads and kitchen gear need to get in for a weekend of camping
Agreed
That’s been my issue shopping a replacement for my 06 Sequoia. The only modern options that are remotely interesting sadly are not as capable off road in stock form like the Sequoia. A new old Sequoia not interested if I’m dropping new truck money I’m going modern tech.

michaels

Explorer
I’m both excited and disappointed in this truck. My biggest grip would be how hard it is to fit a custom bumper, as I loved the slimline look of my old DII and my current RRC.

My tundra has a lot of life left and I have an RRC to tinker around with for now, so in 2024-25 I’m hoping to pick up a (fingers crossed) diesel version of the 110 or 130, unless the new bronco proves to be a true classic inspired car. Seems like the new 110/130 should be a great family daily/camping rig.

If I’m being honest, I’d want a real beater truck I don’t care about to do “serious” off roading with, and that sort of wheeling isn’t on my radar anymore anyways. If it turns out to be a solid road trip/daily/mountain bike/camping rig that it looks to be, I think it turned out great.

That doesn’t mean it’s not disappointing that it isn’t a true defender in looks. I was hoping for a brilliant new interior with more or less heritage looks like the rest of us, but it seems like it’ll be a solid truck.

I found a thread on reddit where a guy claims to work for JLR in their CAD department and said they tried to do a heritage front, but it failed pedestrian impact requirements and they had no choice but to go this direction. I’m not sure the validity of the statement but I can see it for sure. LR isn’t what it used to be—obviously— but there is still value there. I look forward to watching what the guinea pigs do over the next 3-5 years in regards to bumpers and builds.

It’s funny, I now look at the L322 almost with the same heritage lens as the RRC, and it used to look so contemporary. We knew the new defender would be a polarizing design and a controversial release, and boy did we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Payloads of capable four wheel drive touring platforms...

1,984 lbs - Defender 110
1,670 lbs - Land Cruiser Heritage (regular is 1570)
1,660 lbs - Ram Power Wagon
1,560 lbs - Tundra TRD
1,550 lbs - 4Runner TRD
1,550 lbs - Tacoma TRD
1,361 lbs - Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1,200 lbs - Gladiator Rubicon
1,100 lbs - Colorado ZR2
1,560 lbs - Ranger SuperCrew 4x4

BTW, you overstated the Tacoma. It's 1,540 lbs for a 4x2 SR spec Access Cab. The highest 4x4 is an SR spec Access Cab at 1,380 lbs. Typical TRD spec Double Cab 4x4 is 1,175 lbs.

The highest payload in the Ranger is 1,860 lbs for a 4x2 SuperCab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94