2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselRanger

This is a shot from a new James Bond movie called " no time to die " Black does not really work with a new Defender as it did not with boxy LR3. Maybe a blue with with white roof will do a trick for me...
Because it's a movie car, and specifically a Bond car, I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of stock I the clamshell hood with bench style front fenders. That would be a nightmare for service with modern engines bigger than a teakettle unless there was an easy way to release and fold down the fenders to get at suspension bits, reservoirs, and other stuff. And if the latter is the case, prepare for rattles and squeaks as it ages. In any case, the shape looks correct.

Alternatively: this could be the EV version that's been promised, so the clamshell hood could be a frunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

blackangie

The new Defender could be the unicorn I’ve been looking for, if it indeed checks all these boxes:

1. Truly capable off-road (no rock crawling)
2. Luxurious interior
3. Manual transmission
4. Sub $60k MSRP
5. Nice ride on pavement

I do like my JLU but it’s loud, kind of cramped, and sort of “bleh” interior. I understand it’s a wrangler but FCA is getting closer to my unicorn than any other current vehicle available.
I would say paddle shift will be the closest you will get to your umicorn status, but having tapshift in my LS RRC and another JLR vehicle, I wouldn't drive anything else.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Because it's a movie car, and specifically a Bond car, I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of stock I the clamshell hood with bench style front fenders. That would be a nightmare for service with modern engines bigger than a teakettle unless there was an easy way to release and fold down the fenders to get at suspension bits, reservoirs, and other stuff. And if the latter is the case, prepare for rattles and squeaks as it ages. In any case, the shape looks correct.

Alternatively: this could be the EV version that's been promised, so the clamshell hood could be a frunk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Susp etc is on subframes, all drops down from main unibody

Nobody is designing vehicles for difficult maintenance/repair. It's a packaging/production issue. This is such a common misconception which has been passed down for decades now about how all new cars (of that time) are just 'scamming' you for extra dealer revenue.

You're right about many vehicles being serviced body-off to save time for flat rate costs, but this practice does not drive design.

Very true, maybe I came off incorrectly; I'm not saying they are designing to take our money, I'm saying they are design/building around fit, form, and function and first priority comes from LR and Fleet Maintenance considerations and not the average Joe/Jance in his/her garage! However, cab-off, or engine-out maintenance is definitely part of the design, which is why it is so easy and cost effective for them to take it out in such a fast and easy manner with the right facilities/tools; we do the same thing in aviation design with bulkhead/firewall disconnects for fuel/electrical, etc. so a properly equipped mechanic is able to do the same or close to the same as the OEM.

Agreed. It’s just a matter of “X” being installed before “Y” and only the companies that race actually care about ease of maintenance.

Changing a water pump or alternator won’t be any more difficult with that hood design, and it’s going to be a long while hopefully before owners are tackling their own head gasket jobs.

The design of the side wing/fender doesn’t seem great for supporting aftermarket front bumpers if it swoops down low like it appears to rather than having a straight horizontal seem. A lot of guys aren’t going to want to be cutting on a brand new vehicle.

Very true, everything is accessible on most vehicles; just means you might have to remove one before the other to get to another. Take the LR3 power-steering pump; must remove the AC compressor (or get it out of the way) to get it out. Might be able to get it out from underneath while on a lift but again, average Joe/Jane does not have these at their fingertips and it would be ridiculous for an OEM to design a component that fails very rarely over the convenience of a home mechanic.

HENCE, my comment that the OEM is not designing the vehicle for you to work on, they are designing the vehicle for them to work on as it is the product of scheduled and predictive maintenance plans and/or condition based maintenance (CBM) that OEMs have built into the overall product through test and evaluation! Not to rip off the customer, but to ensure the best fit, form, and function and reliability are maintained over convenience. Additionally, product support costs (warranty, scheduled maintenance, etc.) are built into the cost of the vehicle and the hourly rate in which OEMs provide service; it's called smart business plans and how companies are able to maintain continuous revenue flow on vehicles they've sold.

All topics of other discussion, but wanted to put out my thought process on my comment which probably should have been explained better by yours truly! hahaha

Am I the only one that thinks we are all getting out hopes up way to much on what this will be at least in the NAS? I think it will just be a Disco Sport with a different body, same 4cyl Iridium petrol engine, no low range transfer case and pice somewhere between the Disco Sport and Disco 5...

SSG

Look wise, from that leaked pic, I do not like the look. It does not look heavy duty to me. The roof looks low too but can also just be the pic.

blackangie

I really hope not. Definitely not user-serviceable in that case.
User doesn't need to service as its reliable .
Its tried snd tested on RRS, RRVouge, D5 and has been made much tougher for defender, its a reliable system even with AIR and just been made more reliable.

Drive and enjoy

blackangie

Am I the only one that thinks we are all getting out hopes up way to much on what this will be at least in the NAS? I think it will just be a Disco Sport with a different body, same 4cyl Iridium petrol engine, no low range transfer case and pice somewhere between the Disco Sport and Disco 5...

Imo it probably has close to zero similarities or interchangable parts to the Disco sport

6cyl has been seen testing at ring.

blackangie

Look wise, from that leaked pic, I do not like the look. It does not look heavy duty to me. The roof looks low too but can also just be the pic.

A pics a pic, but imo, they are testing to heavy duty level.

jmodz

Personally I think it looks great. I’m not sure what more we could want styling wise, in what will be a throughly modern take on the Defender. I think the overall specs and Moab videos have proven it is a very capable vehicle. I really want one, but I think the price is going to put it out of my range at least for a half decade or so.

blackangie

Personally I think it looks great. I’m not sure what more we could want styling wise, in what will be a throughly modern take on the Defender. I think the overall specs and Moab videos have proven it is a very capable vehicle. I really want one, but I think the price is going to put it out of my range at least for a half decade or so.
LR AU are on record saying the pricing will be from volume buyers(4x4s that manufacturers buy a lot of) to high end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles