2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
All joking and trolling aside. It is a sharp looking truck. I still think it could have been better executed to capture the feel of the old defender the same way Mercedes did with the new G wagon. But it will no doubt sell as it’s what people who buy new land rovers are looking for.

Last edited:

Silmarillion

Observer
Looks nice!

So the hood opening will be quite narrow compared to the size of the overall "hood" area? Pics show me that's how classic Defenders work. Does that give a much smaller area to work in? I'm used to the full opening of the LR3.

95% of vehicles built from almost every manufacturer are designed for "cab-off" maintenance! WE can't do it of course, but LR dealership can probably pull the body up on the lift to expose the engine from the bottom in about two-hours; they then charge YOU, the customer, 10 hours of labor and $3k to do it! hahaha. LR did not design it this way for you to work on; they designed it this way for them to work on it for you! $$$$$

My cousin is a long time Ford Mech and they can take an F350 off the frame in about 45 minutes; they do almost all of the engine/trans maintenance this way!

JeepColorado

All black is probably not the best look- a classic color, blue or green Defender with a white or black roof- some accessories will look much better. Still eager to see it officially roll out and what all LR does with it, happy to see another solid 4x4 in the market place; it doesn't quite grab me like I thought it would; at least this photo doesn't.

blackangie

Looks nice!

So the hood opening will be quite narrow compared to the size of the overall "hood" area? Pics show me that's how classic Defenders work. Does that give a much smaller area to work in? I'm used to the full opening of the LR3.
Bonnet curves around the checker plate, can see on invictus shots and tusk
f1ae2bac550dc15d76fbeff45874288d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

All black is probably not the best look- a classic color, blue or green Defender with a white or black roof- some accessories will look much better. Still eager to see it officially roll out and what all LR does with it, happy to see another solid 4x4 in the market place; it doesn't quite grab me like I thought it would; at least this photo doesn't.
Its a bond villian, why its all blacked out

blackangie

95% of vehicles built from almost every manufacturer are designed for "cab-off" maintenance! WE can't do it of course, but LR dealership can probably pull the body up on the lift to expose the engine from the bottom in about two-hours; they then charge YOU, the customer, 10 hours of labor and $3k to do it! hahaha. LR did not design it this way for you to work on; they designed it this way for them to work on it for you! $$$$$

My cousin is a long time Ford Mech and they can take an F350 off the frame in about 45 minutes; they do almost all of the engine/trans maintenance this way!
So whats the difference to unbolting an engine and lifting unibody up to unbolting a cab, lifting the cab up, then removing engine or working on? very little imo.

Blaise

LR did not design it this way for you to work on; they designed it this way for them to work on it for you! $$$$$

Nobody is designing vehicles for difficult maintenance/repair. It's a packaging/production issue. This is such a common misconception which has been passed down for decades now about how all new cars (of that time) are just 'scamming' you for extra dealer revenue.

You're right about many vehicles being serviced body-off to save time for flat rate costs, but this practice does not drive design.

fran_swa

The new Defender could be the unicorn I’ve been looking for, if it indeed checks all these boxes:

1. Truly capable off-road (no rock crawling)
2. Luxurious interior
3. Manual transmission
4. Sub $60k MSRP
5. Nice ride on pavement

I do like my JLU but it’s loud, kind of cramped, and sort of “bleh” interior. I understand it’s a wrangler but FCA is getting closer to my unicorn than any other current vehicle available.

gatorgrizz27

The new Defender could be the unicorn I’ve been looking for, if it indeed checks all these boxes:

1. Truly capable off-road (no rock crawling)
2. Luxurious interior
3. Manual transmission
4. Sub $60k MSRP
5. Nice ride on pavement

I do like my JLU but it’s loud, kind of cramped, and sort of “bleh” interior. I understand it’s a wrangler but FCA is getting closer to my unicorn than any other current vehicle available.

Not sure you’re going to get that manual transmission, I don’t remember from the blurry photo on the spec sheet someone posted. Other than the driving experience however, the Land Rover ZF autos are REALLY good. Besides the Allison in my Chevy 2500HD, they are the only ones that seem to keep you from yelling at them “No! Why are you doing that? Quit gear hunting!” They seem to do exactly what you would, can utilize engine braking, and you can choose a gear manually in the event that it won’t do what you want.

gatorgrizz27

Nobody is designing vehicles for difficult maintenance/repair. It's a packaging/production issue. This is such a common misconception which has been passed down for decades now about how all new cars (of that time) are just 'scamming' you for extra dealer revenue.

You're right about many vehicles being serviced body-off to save time for flat rate costs, but this practice does not drive design.

Agreed. It’s just a matter of “X” being installed before “Y” and only the companies that race actually care about ease of maintenance.

Changing a water pump or alternator won’t be any more difficult with that hood design, and it’s going to be a long while hopefully before owners are tackling their own head gasket jobs.

The design of the side wing/fender doesn’t seem great for supporting aftermarket front bumpers if it swoops down low like it appears to rather than having a straight horizontal seem. A lot of guys aren’t going to want to be cutting on a brand new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles