2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Sales are increasing in some markets, other down.

Overall down single digits YOY I believe.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

China is still a disaster. US sales, the bright spot but already poor , declined for the 2nd straight month after significant marketing efforts. Land Rover was down 6% while Jaguar was down 20%. Across all brands sales are now at 1999 levels. I'm shocked! .............. Not.

I expect the Defender to do well but also would not be surprised to see a model discontinued. At dinner tonight Jeeps everywhere, not a single LR. ( I was driving a 46 year old Triumph )

Last edited:

blackangie

China is still a disaster. US sales, the bright spot but already poor , declined for the 2nd straight month after significant marketing efforts. Land Rover was down 6% while Jaguar was down 20%. Across all brands sales are now at 1999 levels. I'm shocked! .............. Not.

I expect the Defender to do well but also would not be surprised to see a model discontinued. At dinner tonight Jeeps everywhere, not a single LR. ( I was driving a 46 year old Triumph )
Your most likely in a country where jeeps were sold but defenders were not. LR outsell jeep in AU

Last edited:

blackangie

Was just watching goodwood, rewinding back through the live stream from today, Looking like proper checker plate to me from above, tusk shot backs that up.
2c187313da076180e00efd4bb1d05b1e.jpg
4a77e066facd8a011f750c1d44a06528.jpg

Reactions: SSG

J!m

I’m thinking this is a design element inspired by the checker plate on some old series and defender trucks, rather than fully functional.

If it’s actually solid enough on the hood (unlike the old fender tops) I think grip tape would make more sense.

Maybe some teak strips like a fine sailing vessel.....

blackangie

I’m thinking this is a design element inspired by the checker plate on some old series and defender trucks, rather than fully functional.

If it’s actually solid enough on the hood (unlike the old fender tops) I think grip tape would make more sense.

Maybe some teak strips like a fine sailing vessel.....
Could very well be for sure, however what makes you think its not functional? Its a pretty darn good imitation if it is.

blackangie

New render

Actually looks pretty sweet, few unrealistic things like the coils being shown so much.

But that's definitely the closest render ive seen by anyone yet based on what we know. I like it!

Wish they added the sliders and tube bar though
b12ba5495914207936f513f103f5e5d1.jpg

I had an interesting convo at the local LR stealership today!

I asked a few questions related to deposits for a Defender and configurations. Let's just say the responses were relatively in line with what we know here although the two gents that have been with LR management for over a decade or so appear to be less excited about the Defender release and its configurations options than we seem to think on here; meaning, don't expect a ton of options but more so such as the Disco 5 options now.

First, they would not take a deposit because they have zero build specs and can't take a deposit on a vehicle with no price list or build spec or official delivery. Apparently this is to avoid the Tesla issues with delays and such! Who knows but they will not take anything because they can't guarantee anything.

Secondly, although they admit there will be a diesel option, the word on the street is there will NOT be coil options available for the US market as there is no enough demand for a commercial/utility version as they hope will reboot in EURO such as the LR3/4 commercial variants. Again, he expects the Defender to be very similar to options available on the D5 such as low range GB options with locker and a couple other wizbangs.

D90 is first, D110 next, and possibly a 130 for the US market. Release is going in September, however, first deliveries on orders are not expected until March 2020.

Don't kill the messenger, just passing what I heard directly from the management at a SoCal dealer!

blackangie

I had an interesting convo at the local LR stealership today!

I asked a few questions related to deposits for a Defender and configurations. Let's just say the responses were relatively in line with what we know here although the two gents that have been with LR management for over a decade or so appear to be less excited about the Defender release and its configurations options than we seem to think on here; meaning, don't expect a ton of options but more so such as the Disco 5 options now.

First, they would not take a deposit because they have zero build specs and can't take a deposit on a vehicle with no price list or build spec or official delivery. Apparently this is to avoid the Tesla issues with delays and such! Who knows but they will not take anything because they can't guarantee anything.

Secondly, although they admit there will be a diesel option, the word on the street is there will NOT be coil options available for the US market as there is no enough demand for a commercial/utility version as they hope will reboot in EURO such as the LR3/4 commercial variants. Again, he expects the Defender to be very similar to options available on the D5 such as low range GB options with locker and a couple other wizbangs.

D90 is first, D110 next, and possibly a 130 for the US market. Release is going in September, however, first deliveries on orders are not expected until March 2020.

Don't kill the messenger, just passing what I heard directly from the management at a SoCal dealer!
Interesting, I do know of dealers that are taking deposits, i put a deposit down months ago, refundsble deposits don't guarantee a timeframe, just a build slot in the line.
Orders will be after sept

Maybe try a different dealer .

Dont believe everything dealers say, much is chinese whispers right down the line at this stage, first time I called was when disco 5 svx was cancelled, 1 person there said "defender was prob not even happening and waiting for email confirmation any day". I knew that was rubbish so went in and spoke to a different salesperson in the same dealer, completely different story, he was excited about the new Defender and refundable deposit was given and build slot allotted.

Lemagus

Helps to know where everyone is from regarding the deposit issue. Suspect it is going to be different country to country.

The D90 is coming first?!? I thought the 110 was first and then the 90 and the 130 much later :confused

Yeah agree with you both, just passing what info I received as the last time I was at a dealer to buy a vehicle was when I bought my 08 LR3 in 2012.....lol

I'll be down south later today and plan to hit a larger dealer and yes, it will be for a build slot which makes complete sense.

As far as the order of the 90/110/130, would only make sense to have the 110 first as there is no chance the 90 will meet mall-crawler bling demand in the US.

Anyone in SoCal have a suggested dealer they prefer let me know!

The boss...who drives the '97SW...saw that paint booth photo and said "you've got to be joking"

So I guess we're sticking with the real D90 ;)

The boss...who drives the '97SW...saw that paint booth photo and said "you've got to be joking"

So I guess we're sticking with the real D90 ;)

I think that might be another vehicle all together for potential reveal or some crap this year as well. I can't imagine that is the actual Defender hood set up going off what we see in clad wrapping! I HOPE NOT! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles