2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowly, it's growing on me as the Disco 5 is the more I've seen them; the price tag will be the deciding factor for me to include in the price, the diesel and full trans-lock package!

I wonder when we will be open for reservations and how that works when we have no clue what options/configurations are going to be available?

REDROVER

Explorer
@ blackangie
when I complain, you may think I hate the Land Rover, in fact I like it that why I complain,
I have seen how capable D3 and D4 are, not D5 yet,
and don’t be surprised if I buy d5, but complaining and criticizing it’s short comings will not stop, because of the facts that there are there.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Pressure to reduce cost and eliminate models increases as cost to finance the future increase:

Jaguar Land Rover Ratings Cut By Moody's, Citing China, Electrification

"........In a statement Thursday, Moody’s said it cut JLR’s corporate family rating to B1 from Ba3, with a negative outlook.

"The downgrade reflects Moody's expectation that leverage will remain elevated and free cash flow negative for fiscal years 2020 and 2021 as Jaguar Land Rover seeks to turn around performance in China, executes its restructuring program and continues to invest in its future model line-up including electrification", said Tobias Wagner, Vice-President and Senior Analyst at Moody's.

"The negative outlook further reflects the challenge to turn around financial performance in a subdued market environment and as other manufacturers also prepare to launch electric vehicles.........

.......“A potential acquisition of JLR has been speculated, but our analysis shows a much less favorable risk/reward profile versus the (Opel Vauxhall) deal. JLR’s operational performance materially deteriorated over the past two years and we estimate the cash burn was 1.2 billion euros ($1.4 billion) over this period,” Haissl said.

“Reducing or stopping the cash burn is more difficult, in our view, as JLR’s cost structure is close to benchmark levels. More meaningful savings can likely only be achieved by reducing the model offering, which should be possible even without a merger. Therefore, it is unclear if Tata Motors would even be willing to sell at the current, arguably depressed, valuation or if it believes the initiated turnaround measures will succeed.” Haissl said..........."

Point of comparison, JLR sold 589 D5's in the US for May2019. That's an annual rate of 7000 per year. The DII was selling ~20K per year.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
On further thought low initial quality rankings will be an issue for JLR as they attempt to reposition the LR5/Discovery as a SUV/VW Tourag/Porsche Cayanne/fill-in-the-blank

blackangie

Slowly, it's growing on me as the Disco 5 is the more I've seen them; the price tag will be the deciding factor for me to include in the price, the diesel and full trans-lock package!

I wonder when we will be open for reservations and how that works when we have no clue what options/configurations are going to be available?
Build slot/deposits have been open for ages, put mine down months ago.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

@ blackangie
when I complain, you may think I hate the Land Rover, in fact I like it that why I complain,
I have seen how capable D3 and D4 are, not D5 yet,
and don’t be surprised if I buy d5, but complaining and criticizing it’s short comings will not stop, because of the facts that there are there.
No worries, Happy with facts mate, i just wanted to be fair and show you quality is improving and the issues seem to be non mission critical these days

DieselRanger

I hope you understand that driving from one end to the other end of California is about the same size as the entire Europe,

What U.K. considers reliable, is absolutely not for USA standards.

San Bernardino county is bigger than few European countries.
JD Power in 2017 rated the 3-year dependability of the Range Rover Sport higher than the Acura MDX and Audi Q7.

Among luxury car buyers, the most common complaint by far is for infotainment. If you happen to travel a lot and find yourself in different vehicles across a range of automakers, as I do, you would see that infotainment is generally ******tty across the industry. Luxury buyers generally have the time and inclination to complain about minor problems and demand fixes - for good reason - but as others have said, your infotainment screen becoming unresponsive or buggy isn't going to stop you on the side of the road.

JackW

Explorer
Gotcha, did you go to the dealer for that? or webpage?

My local dealer started taking deposits a few months ago - two of the sales staff got in line ahead of me so I'm supposed to get #3 at Hennessey North Atlanta.
I expect that once the new Defender is officially introduced in the fall you will be able to order one the way you want it optioned for an early 2020 delivery like when the Discovery 5 was introduced.
My dealer was able to replace one of their initial stock order trucks with my order configuration so I wound up with the first customer delivered D5 at that dealership in May of 2017.

My guess is that some of the more interesting options may not be available initially on the new Defender but we'll have to see after the September reveal.

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I hope you understand that driving from one end to the other end of California is about the same size as the entire Europe,
San Bernardino county is bigger than few European countries.

According to Wonkipedia, California is 770miles long.

France is 595miles from Calais to Andorra (the longest diagonal)

So, Califonria is nowhere near the same size as all of Europe... if you took it as the line that you could continously drive, then I think you'd be looking even further as that would be from the Arctic Circle to the heel of Italy.

San Bernadino is 20,105 sq mi , so bigger than Denmark, Belguim, Switzerland, the Netherlands and many of the countries of former Yugoslavia.

What U.K. considers reliable, is absolutely not for USA standards.

That's true.... but because Europe and the UK are all a bit smaller and more compact, at least they can design a vehicle that goes through corners without having to stop first and is enjoyable to drive quickly through them, rather than just in a straight line :p

naks

sigh

unless you live in a country where you can drive for days without hitting a border, and you need to plan your refuelling carefully in case you break down in the middle of nowhere, you really wouldn't understand...

Not that ZA is very big.

USA vs Europe:

Oz vs Europe:

South Africa vs Europe:

blackangie

A Land Rover Defender prototype spotted in Moab, Utah - CoventryLive

Cleaning up a hybrid after moab
9aaddb6cb941b3e89a52e1f9fcdd2bfa.jpg
cb6c2b557a9161d5547c9db86e82f4b2.jpg
3bcc866e17fea5e9589a69e1ca395f00.jpg
13319ec7b631288d613ebf631c719066.jpg

SSG

Loving it. Was thinking about buying a Porsche Cayenne diesel but I am just going to be patient and wait for the new Defender 110.

naks

spotted on another forum:

I came across a Land Rover on test in it's disguise body rap. It was broken down, I was able to spend a little time talking to the driver (he was waiting for a software download to get going again). The vehicle was the replacement for the Defender or the new Defender whichever way you want to look at it. This one was diesel he did not know (or wasn't letting on engine size but said it had 300bhp and a previous one he was testing in Germany was 400bhp version. The driver did not work for JLR but a testing company Tecnica using Bosh equipment. A driverless version is on test currently along with all electric and hybrid.

normal_6A22848B-EBE8-4AD7-A71D-30ACE6D2A27D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles