2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

Interesting comments from ol mate Gerry re: New Defender

"It will be the absolute polarization of Range Rover, to give you a clue."

The Design Principles That Make Land Rover Successful: Excerpts from a Talk by Gerry McGovern, Director of Design - Core77
d95a63adc4d0a6d1d36546577bb378d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SSG

They are already coming in pretty strong in AU according to my dealer. Diesel was spotted/heard at moab. Cant agree with you on the coils, whilst im sure there will be that option as the D5 has that option and coil mules have been spotted, air is the pick in au and is known to be very reliable since Discovery 3/4's 200,000km before you have to touch it, and AU is very very rough in the outback.

Glad to hear there will be a diesel option as here in the USA we do not have the great choices of vehicles (Troopy/LC Pick-up) like in Australia/South Africa. I just bought a 2018 Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner but have my eye on the new Defender with the diesel and non-air suspension, and if it comes out in this configuration it is bye-bye 4Runner.

I personally do not like air suspension but if Land Rover can do the Canning Stock Route with the New Defender with air suspension then I would be impressed.

Cheers for the new pics!!

blackangie

Glad to hear there will be a diesel option as here in the USA we do not have the great choices of vehicles (Troopy/LC Pick-up) like in Australia/South Africa. I just bought a 2018 Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner but have my eye on the new Defender with the diesel and non-air suspension, and if it comes out in this configuration it is bye-bye 4Runner.

I personally do not like air suspension but if Land Rover can do the Canning Stock Route with the New Defender with air suspension then I would be impressed.

Cheers for the new pics!!
No worries, your most welcome, most most thanks should go to guys snapping the shots
Yeah will be interesting to see what marketing they do in AU.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Let the Geneva auto show merger discussions be realized!

Fiat Chrysler to merge with Renault

JLR financial woes tied to China? Don't look for a recovery there any time soon. In fact likely they should plan for significantly lower China sales going forward. China is a whole discussion by itself.

How should JLR be sized if China is removed from the strategic plan? That should shift product mix priorities to NA.

blackangie

Let the Geneva auto show merger discussions be realized!

Fiat Chrysler to merge with Renault

JLR financial woes tied to China? Don't look for a recovery there any time soon. In fact likely they should plan for significantly lower China sales going forward. China is a whole discussion by itself.

How should JLR be sized if China is removed from the strategic plan? That should shift product mix priorities to NA.
Won't electrification solve main China issues?

US and EU sales on the rise, reduced workforce.

blackangie

How did we come to this conclusion? Reason I ask is the new gasser I-6 sounds like a turbo diesel at low RPM.

Nothings definitive, but largely based of these vids and JLR comments new defender needing a broad engine portfolio to succeed.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Won't electrification solve main China issues?.......

JLR's China issues are quality and distributorship structure, to name a few. Not sure how electrification will help. In addition China's economy is slowing while competition has jumped. Previous market share assumptions need to be revisited.

SSG

Very interesting comments by the boss of Jaguar Land Rover Australia:

https://www.motoring.com.au/2020-land-rover-defender-to-go-mainstream-118724/

He talks reliability, Toyota and trims.

“We will have a range that will span to cater to many different people, just like our competitors’ products. Toyota’s LandCruiser is not dissimilar.” Mark Cameron, boss of Jaguar Land Rover Australia.

Good read here too:

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-to-take-the-fight-to-toyota

Last edited:

blackangie

Very interesting comments by the boss of Jaguar Land Rover Australia:

https://www.motoring.com.au/2020-land-rover-defender-to-go-mainstream-118724/

He talks reliability, Toyota and trims.

“We will have a range that will span to cater to many different people, just like our competitors’ products. Toyota’s LandCruiser is not dissimilar.” Mark Cameron, boss of Jaguar Land Rover Australia.

Good read here too:

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-to-take-the-fight-to-toyota
And this

“You win those reputations back over a long period. We’ve engineered it to a level of durability that none of our other cars have had.

JeepColorado

And this

It's great to see him acknowledge the concerns about reliability head on and talk about what all they've done to address it. It's interesting that he says the Defender is actually coming out later than they wanted due to all of the testing. I'd love LR get this right- the off-road market could use some great competition. As much as I love Jeeps they've ruled the roost here in the States for too long, they need some healthy competition. The Land Rover Defender, the Ford Bronco, and perhaps even a new Land Cruiser will get their shot in the next couple of years. Of each of those the Defender is the one I'm the most excited about seeing what it'll be.

DieselRanger

Won't electrification solve main China issues?
China is being hit hard by the trade war - their economy is, well, still something of a paper tiger. Foreign vehicles in China are tariffed at around 25%; Buicks there are equivalent in affordability there to S-class Mercs here. This is for two reasons - one, protectionism for the domestic Chinese auto makers (who shamelessly copy Land Rover designs, among others), and two, to force foreign automakers to bring advanced manufacturing capabilities and their own intellectual property into China...where China can exploit them. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery, and industrial espionage is just really, really lucrative plagiarism.

So, while China's economy was on a tear after the global recession ended, young wealthy Chinese could suddenly afford foreign vehicles as a status symbol. Then the trade war began, and they're now dialing back luxury purchases while the US economy continues to grow at a Fed Reserve-restrained 2-3% annually, a reason why US JLR sales have doubled in recent years. Plus we likes us some SUVs and Jaguar introduced two very popular ones in addition to the Evoque.

JLR had a presence in Hong Kong and Macau for a long time, so their brands already had some recognition; they were poised to take that China-wide into the larger cities, but this trade war has come right at the time they expected to see their largest growth.

Electrification may help, but a prosperous Chinese middle class will help more.

DieselRanger

Hmmmm ............. that comment from Cameron is not encouraging. Read the crash-testing article and you will find that some of the low rating is because of less technology/sensors
Description of the Euro NCAP one-star rating for the Wrangler:
"Although the Wrangler earned a top score in the side barrier test and was rated Good for whiplash protection, it did not do well in the frontal crash tests. In its comments, Euro NCAP indicated that the Wrangler provided only marginal protection for the chest, body area, and neck for the driver and/or adult passenger, while offering better protection of the knees and femurs. The results for protection of a 10-year-old dummy in a car seat were mixed, and there were issues with the ease of installation of various child seats in different seating positions. Pedestrian-impact scores also dragged down the Jeep's overall rating, as did the lack of lane-keeping assist and automated emergency braking."

More troubling was Jeep's response - effectively, "we don't care:" - "Testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle." Unfortunately, their drivers mostly drive in "urban scenarios," by which Jeep clearly means, "anywhere on a paved surface."

The D5 was built to exceed all standards, and earned a 5-star NCAP rating. They also performed tests that weren't required, such as multiple-roll tests, where they verified the passenger compartment could maintain shape after rolling three times. I can't find any evidence that Jeep has done anything similar, which is a more likely in any "scenario" that Jeep fancies its drivers regularly drive in.

I think the statement of, "you will see it will be a very wide, stretched range. We will compete with some of the volume manufacturers but we will also go up to very powerful, very luxurious versions of the Defender" is very encouraging.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Let's take this another step. Do all the regulations on safety end in appliances? Case in point. Two white vans pulled up to me yesterday. At first I thought they were the same model/manufacturer. They were not. One was a Nissan, the other a Toyota. The differences were minor. Both boring white toasters with wheels. I'm sure both contained all the technology the buyer wanted but in the end they were just different smartphones with different apps loaded by the owner. I'm sure both passed all the safety ratings with flying colors. That's what appliances do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online