2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do this where I live, and you won't have an oil pan:
2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-review-photo-SlashGear00007-1077x720.jpg

At least it's all aluminum though. Hopefully there's a sport version with some more ground clearance.

Last edited:

jasmtis

Do this where I live, and you won't have an oil pan:
2017-Land-Rover-Discovery-review-photo-SlashGear00007-1077x720.jpg

At least it's all aluminum though. Hopefully there's a sport version with some more ground clearance.

They've got 11 inches of ground clearance with the air suspension all the way up and very respectable approach/departure/breakover angles, how much exactly do you want lol.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
13" directly under the axles. Much more under the bumpers and body, I'll have to get my ruler out I guess.

In that pic, it looks really low in the front.

jasmtis

13" directly under the axles. Much more under the bumpers and body, I'll have to get my ruler out I guess.

In that pic, it looks really low in the front.

It's an air suspension system so it's probably not all the way up. They look rather ungainly fully extended and that is clearly a marketing picture

Red90

Adventurer
They've got 11 inches of ground clearance with the air suspension all the way up and very respectable approach/departure/breakover angles, how much exactly do you want lol.

The problem is that it is flat bottom with that clearance everywhere. On a traditional truck, that low clearance was only in two small locations. The rest of the vehicle is much higher. If you were experienced off roading, this would all be obvious.

jasmtis

The problem is that it is flat bottom with that clearance everywhere. On a traditional truck, that low clearance was only in two small locations. The rest of the vehicle is much higher. If you were experienced off roading, this would all be obvious.

I am, I prefer a traditional truck construction. I spoke with my wallet and bought one of only three new vehicles left in the US market with at least one solid axle, a proper transfer case and a manual transmission. If Land Rover's going to make crossovers at least they make crossovers that are undeniably capable compared with everything else out there besides a few Jeeps and Toyotas.
The next Defender is clearly going to have a fully independent suspension from the spy shots so the best hope for it as an off road enthusiast is that it lowers the cost of entry for a Rover with reasonable ground clearance, a two speed transfer case and locking differentials rather than a just a D5 dressed up as a Defender for Halloween. The cheapest new Rover with a low range is past $50k and the cheapest with a locker is past $60k. If they position the new Defender above the Discovery it's just another model for the posers, if they put it below it's at least going to be an option for people with trail use in mind.

@jasmtis I can't argue with any of that to be honest! Just praying we see something that can me in the modern LR brand name otherwise I just keep getting older vehicles...lol

Agreed on the D5, anyone will to scratch the paint can go anywhere they want for the most part.......it's highly capable for sure!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
People like to personalize their vehicle with aftermarket offerings. That is why the Jeep is so popular. Land Rover's latest offerings all look the same and minimize aftermarket customization, therefore limiting their appeal.

The spy shots look like a LR3/4.

SanJoe

I prefer my old defender 90 to this. The appeal for me is to be able to wrench it myself. It was super simple construction. Hopefully, it won’t just be some modern retro version.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I am, I prefer a traditional truck construction. I spoke with my wallet and bought one of only three new vehicles left in the US market with at least one solid axle, a proper transfer case and a manual transmission. .

So what did you buy? domestic pick up or Jeep?

Definitely a good choice! I'd like to have a new Rover in the family but would not prefer a $60k price tag again. I can buy another old Rover that I can fix easily and have a newer non-LR brand uber-reliable and much cheaper as a DD.

msimmo

The outgoing Defenders had comparatively high payloads to other vehicles their size, I wonder if the new one will have a similarly large difference in payload between it and other offerings in the land rover lineup. Or maybe a difference in build quality or design ethos, like the difference between a 4runner and a Land Cruiser, even if it does look very similar to the other Land Rovers.

Last edited:

ze_zaskar

Observer
I think a big factor here, IMO, is if LR is also aiming at commercial contractors or not with the new Defender.
That will play a big role on how it is:
- sensibly priced
- robust
- payloads
- capable without being too reliant on gadgetry
- configurable

LR can mess around with this if aiming solely to the lifestyle market. Not so much if the commercial market is a consideration for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles