2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

naks

Nothing wrong with IFS. This is 2018, not 1918

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Hummelator

Adventurer
Part of the allure of the defender was the rugged looking square body. Not at all interested with was was depicted.

naks

There's probably a square body under those camo body panels

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
As long a the base price it below 40k I might find myself looking this way when the time comes. My wife was sad about how rounded the D5 is, so this could be an option for her.

merr1ca

I have it on good authority that the new Defender looks more Defender than this. They've carefully hidden the roof line and hood. Price point will likely be $60+for the 90". A UK 2016 Defender was around $60k USD or so. You can bet it'll be more than that.

I'm excited for it. If it drives as sweet as the D5 and looks even just a little bit more Defender like it'll be a real winner.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
landrover_017.jpg

jasmtis

Nothing wrong with IFS. This is 2018, not 1918

Yeah, but it's losing what made it special. I wish they'd followed Jeep on this one. Let the mass market models keep with the times, as Range Rover and Discovery buyers at a luxury price point and Grand Cherokee and Cherokee buyers at a lower price point want something capable(whether or not they actually are going to use it) that doesn't make a fuss over it.

Jeep keeps nailing it with the Wrangler, whether or not you're a Jeep fan, by keeping it fresh and up-to-date with regulations but still old school, basic and with all the tangible and intangible qualities that make you still feel like you're piloting a CJ. This is only a Defender in name and shape. Imagine a Defender equivalent of the JL. Looks current, has airbags and modern powertrains but still has that essential old school feel that takes you back to the Series.

The reality is that it is going to to look somewhat like that shape as have to be getting some sort of mileage and acoustic testing out of it and if the shape is much different, no chance they make a 2019 release date.

Looks like by the cut-outs in the front end, its going to share the lower split radiator/coolers as the Range and D5!

Promising swing out rear door and maybe a potential optional roof of sorts with the square old school roof lines!

I'm keeping my hopes up that they are going to nail it, but if anyone thinks it will have a $50-60k USD price tag with any kind of functionality.......NO CHANCE!

I expect we will see similar build options for diesel, low-range G/B, lockers, etc. that will put the price tag of in the near $70k range at a minimum.......I really hope I'm wrong!

jasmtis

The reality is that it is going to to look somewhat like that shape as have to be getting some sort of mileage and acoustic testing out of it and if the shape is much different, no chance they make a 2019 release date.

Looks like by the cut-outs in the front end, its going to share the lower split radiator/coolers as the Range and D5!

Promising swing out rear door and maybe a potential optional roof of sorts with the square old school roof lines!

I'm keeping my hopes up that they are going to nail it, but if anyone thinks it will have a $50-60k USD price tag with any kind of functionality.......NO CHANCE!

I expect we will see similar build options for diesel, low-range G/B, lockers, etc. that will put the price tag of in the near $70k range at a minimum.......I really hope I'm wrong!

If all that's true then it'll just be a square Discovery 5 with a swing out rear door(so..What we all wanted the Discovery 5 to look like). Personally I kinda like the D5 but what's the point of a Defender model if it is identically capable to the Discovery with the same luxury features as the Discovery for the same price as the Discovery and slightly more utilitarian styling? If they put it on the D5 platform(as it appears to be) with a more utilitarian interior and position it as a stripped-down version from a comforts standpoint but with all the optional capability features(terrain response, lockers, two-speed transfer case) in the $40-60k range they'd pick up sales from Rubicon, TRD Pro and ZR2 buyers. If they price it in the $70k range they'll just cannibalize sales from the Discovery and Range Rover. They've already pretty much cornered the market for expensive off-road capable luxury vehicles, they'll be missing a great shot at a booming market if they don't position it a step below the Discovery as the utilitarian Land Rover(as it's always been). If I'd had an extra $10k to spend when I bought my Tacoma and been shopping for a TRD Pro or Rubicon as a capable and reliable daily instead of comparing the TRD Off-Road and more basic JL models and had an option that was similarly capable and comfortable(but not luxurious) with some of that British charm I love so much in my Range Rover Classic..hell yeah!

@jasmtis Agreed.....however, add +$20K for the "Defender" badges! Remember, it's release is supposed to be in the new Bond film and the hype behind it has been for almost 5 years since rumor of a new Defender redesign chatter.

Stripped down, fully capable D5 would be awesome and I would surely buy one at that $40-60K max price tag.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong and LR is going to produce a utilitarian style "SUV" that fills the void from Disco 3/4 style to D5 capability that real enthusiast can afford and enjoy! It would be awesome to see that happen.....just not holding my breath!

That Defender name is going to suck up a lot of NEW YORK and HOLLYWOOD image!

jasmtis

@Victory_Overland

I just don't see how else it would make business sense for them to position it unless they really are just selling the name. The old Defender started at the equivalent of around $47k USD in 2017, and yeah it was sort of like a $30k Wrangler + $20k for the Defender badge but it could sell on novelty factor. If you wanted a brand new old Land Rover(which lots of people do) there you go!

They already have a vast array of models for the New York and Hollywood image crowd(which credit where credit's due pretty much all still manage to offer a significant amount more capability than their competition) from high-$30s entry level luxury to whatever absurd amount you can spend on a Range Rover these days. I know a lot of people in the image crowd and Range Rover is a much stronger brand with them than Defender. I could've spent a lot of money on a Defender and most of them wouldn't have been interested. I spent $2500 on a tired old RRC and...well he has a Range Rover. The Defender name still carries the most weight with enthusiasts.

The only reason the Wrangler still works with the lifestyle crowd and enthusiast crowd alike is because it's stayed genuine. It's still an old Jeep that's just kept up with regulations. If they'd made the Grand Cherokee or Cherokee square with round headlights and called it a Wrangler it'd be a flop. Seeing as the new Defender is pretty clearly on the Discovery platform it's clearly not an old Land Rover that's kept up with regulations so as much as I know it's probably not the case I'm hoping that they recognized the cachet the name has with enthusiasts and are dropping it in to compete with the Rubicon and TRD-Pros of the world. You could spend $45k on the most kitted up 4Runner or you could spend it on the most stripped down Land Rover.

Doesn't look very capable.

Look at some videos of the Discovery 5 in action, it's shockingly capable period, not just capable for an all-independent suspension/unibody vehicle. But to get one with all the off road features you're looking at nearly $70k and no one's taking their $70k SUV off road. This could be interesting if they position it in a way to lower the price of entry for Land Rover's amazingly engineered suspension and traction control systems instead of selling the name on a square Disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles