2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That thought makes me weep for the upcoming Bronco......
I'm still holding out hope for the Bronco....

Really, when it comes to the Defender, I am not Land Rovers target customer. I'll never spend $80,000 to buy a base model Defender anyway cause I'm too cheap, lol...
So really at the end of the day all my blathering about it is all for naught.

DieselRanger

I'm still holding out hope for the Bronco....

Really, when it comes to the Defender, I am not Land Rovers target customer. I'll never spend $80,000 to buy a base model Defender anyway cause I'm too cheap, lol...
So really at the end of the day all my blathering about it is all for naught.
If you spend $80,000 for a base model Defender then you've been ripped off by about $20,000 after tax and title.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My bet is the Rover dealers will do a sizable dealer add on over MSRP. The Defenders sold a few yrs back suffered from that. Lots of potential buyers walked away. I bet they would have sold more if the dealers hadn’t jacked prices up.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
$55000 for the base model with the offroad packages.

Tow Hitch Receiver
OPTIONS$3,430.00
Off-Road Pack$1,345.00
Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack$735.00
Cold Climate Pack$700.00
Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by BrakingPACK

I like that you can really almost pick and choose any option you want.

$55000 for the base model with the offroad packages.

Tow Hitch Receiver
OPTIONS$3,430.00
Off-Road Pack$1,345.00
Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack$735.00
Cold Climate Pack$700.00
Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by BrakingPACK

I like that you can really almost pick and choose any option you want.

If you want the underpowered, non-diesel option it's $55k base with off-road; put the real engine in it that you will surely need for an adventure rig and your price is now $70k.

Aussies can get a 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel BRAND NEW LC Troopy BASE Model for $55k; low range gearbox and locked all around. LR missed the mark IMO opinion solely on price! Another 10k and you can get an RR Base model which will take sales from Defender and vice/versa from the mall crawler club.

I'll have to wait a few years for aftermarket and someone else to pay that depreciation; most likely look to pick up a cheap Disco5 trade-in with some options and save me $35k.

Defender is going to be a cool vehicle, extremely overpriced and no chance it fixes their finance problems at that price range! They still need to trim up their models to what sells and what doesn't.

blackangie

Some more detailed technical information from this Oz article: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-50-facts-figures

A few salient ones:

14 - Defender's electrics gets IP67 electrical rating
The electronics and connections in the new Defender have been designed to meet the IP67 water immersion standards. That means they can be submerged in one metre of fresh water for an hour without intrusion or damage.

31 - Bullbar
Land Rover has developed a ’roo bar specifically for Australia. To be made of steel, the bar will be offered as an accessory, keeping intact all sensors and safety systems. The ’roo bar will be revealed closer to the car’s June 2020 on-sale date.

34 - Crawl time
The Defender has an impressively low crawl ratio of 51.5:1 for diesel versions and 57.2:1 for the six-cylinder petrol.

45 - Stopping power
There is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brake discs. Instead the Defender gets a brake-by-wire system claimed to provide more “precise, linear brake pressures”. Engineers also say the electronic braking system helps with off-road traction due to the ability to better regulate braking to each individual wheel.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Impressive!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

If you want the underpowered, non-diesel option it's $55k base with off-road; put the real engine in it that you will surely need for an adventure rig and your price is now $70k.

Aussies can get a 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel BRAND NEW LC Troopy BASE Model for $55k; low range gearbox and locked all around. LR missed the mark IMO opinion solely on price! Another 10k and you can get an RR Base model which will take sales from Defender and vice/versa from the mall crawler club.

I'll have to wait a few years for aftermarket and someone else to pay that depreciation; most likely look to pick up a cheap Disco5 trade-in with some options and save me $35k.

Defender is going to be a cool vehicle, extremely overpriced and no chance it fixes their finance problems at that price range! They still need to trim up their models to what sells and what doesn't.
Land Cruisers and that engine are having a lot of problems in Australia

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DieselRanger

The point isn’t the cost upfront. If you’re looking sub-$30k, you’re gonna buy one used. I paid $26k for my LR4, someone else paid over $60k and had a great time with it before me, but probably traded it in for sub-$20k...

Wait for the new defender to hit the secondary markets if you want in for less cash.
As has been the story for Land Rover since forever. They've never been cheap off the lot and never will be, that's not Land Rover's market.

DieselRanger

My bet is the Rover dealers will do a sizable dealer add on over MSRP. The Defenders sold a few yrs back suffered from that. Lots of potential buyers walked away. I bet they would have sold more if the dealers hadn’t jacked prices up.
Land Rover isn't Ford or Toyota. Corporately they are forbidden from making such markups because there are so few dealers and they know customers will shop around - JLR NA keeps a pretty tight rein on the dealers. My dealer plays it straight - you'll pay MSRP and get any discounts they're offered. For a brand-new Discovery in 2017 ordered from the factory before production began (my small market serving 500,000 people ran out of their first four allocations in preorders), I got a military discount and a new customer discount totaling about $1500 all in, beyond that they let me run my arm down the swag shelf and gave me a military discount on the crossbars and that was it - the rest was MSRP or have a nice day, but they didn't charge any premiums.

I have no problem paying the $50k range for an SUV and taking it offroad! But to get into one that is being branded as an Off-road legend and expend ludicrous sales from off-road enthusiasts who are not in the price-range or anywhere near $70k is just poor marketing. Like I said, I think they nailed it in all areas and then failed miserably on a mass production market in global sales for a vehicle that could have sold tons at the $45-55K market range that would have put may Toyota, Ford, and Jeep people in Defenders who may have been on the fence!

@blackangie yes, and they already have a fix and oh by the way it still comes with a diesel for that price and a ton of range and options. If you think LR won't have mass production issues over the next few years on new engines then they will be the only company to every be successful to do so!

So is the Defender going to rob sales from Discovery or is Discovery from Defender? Or other RR models maybe; or do they discontinue one all together because Disco5 already comes fully loaded at Base V6 Defender price with zero options except 395hp V6 and tow package, and terrain response.

Base Model DEFENDER 110SE, 395hp V6 is the ONLY option.....NO OTHER OPTIONS or KIT outside of tow package, terrain response, tires, etc. which are also in the fully loaded competition below.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.31.08 PM.png

Below is fully loaded vehicle of competition I would say most of us spoke of from the beginning of this thread. I didn't put the Mom package of storage boxes and floor mats and stuff cuz I kept it at vehicle performance such as engines, lockers, xmsn, tires, suspension options, etc.

Fully Loaded Disco5
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.15.01 PM.png

Fully Loaded Toyo LC.......no options, you get it fully loaded as highest spec LC on the market.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.09.46 PM.png

And Jeep Gladiator cuz its the most expensive every built, fully loaded, every options avail and leaves $20k in suspension upgrade to meet the "nobody wheels a stock Jeep" theory to match the price of the Disco and Defender.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.07.06 PM.png

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I think it's hilarious that some of you guys actually think you'll be able to find one of these anywhere with a window sticker of less than $70k. Most of them will be sitting on the lot with a sticker either side of $80k. The base model is missing some pretty basic stuff that should be standard on a $55k car.

I think it'll be a pretty cool car and it might replace my wife's Trailhawk but lets get realistic guys. I just build one that has the same level of luxury as the Ram Longhorn I have on order and it came to over $80k.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You guys are really hard to follow, I swear. One minute the new Defender is not enough like the old one (which really was underpowered and did not even have lockers btw), the next minute I need to buy the 400HP engine and the full equipped one or it's no good.

I'd say the base trim would be perfectly adequate to go explore Africa.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You guys are really hard to follow, I swear. One minute the new Defender is not enough like the old one (which really was underpowered and did not even have lockers btw), the next minute I need to buy the 400HP engine and the full equipped one or it's no good.

I'd say the base trim would be perfectly adequate to go explore Africa.

Sure it would. So would a base Rav4.

But 99.9% of us are in America and explore the United States. (I totally agree about the old Defender, it's really a terrible car that just looks cool and works pretty good in the dirt.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior