2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselRanger

You're being hyperbolic. People will like it, people will not. The D5 is a good car. It is not better than what Land Rover has done in the past. I don't recall a D5 being able to do anything close to a camel event. Ford anything deeper than 33.5" of water? Oh boy that water crossing is 36 inches deep. Winch all day with anything other than an 8274 or a husky? Going to be an issue with a recessed winch, and anything planetary. Air down your tires? Little hard with 19 or 20s.

it will do a LR experience "off road" course better than the others, sure. It has the best traction control of any Land Rover ever made, is what you should be saying.
You "don't recall" a D5 being able to do one because there is no "Camel event" any more. The D5 is certified to ford 900mm which is 35.4" it can go deeper, but like most SUVs with a giant air pocket in the back end, the rear end will float unless you remove the underbody spare tire and/or weight it down with gear. Land Rover tested it by submerging it in 930mm of water (that's 36.6") with the doors open for an hour, then they swam in and started the engine and drove out. Apparently nobody got electrocuted. Yeah, if you want to turn it into a submarine you're going to need an aftermarket snorkel, which isn't out yet. The old Disco's would rust to the bejeezus from water intrusion - but with a snorkel, sure, you could ford water over the hood and up to your chest in the cabin on your Camel Trophy truck. And how many of those are left running? Even the ones with 4-pinon diffs and beefed-up axles? Actually, if any are left running it would be those, since the stock axles and diffs broke so often during Camel Trophies.

Winching all day - we'll see. With better traction tech you winch less. Same with airing down tires - with better inherent traction, there are fewer situations when airing down is necessary - and the advances in tire compounds have brought enhanced grip and durability literally where the rubber meets the trail. I like a little more sidewall in my tires too simply because I feel I need sidewall flexibility to prevent a blowout from hard impacts - So far 285/55's are working for me vs OEM 255/55's, but you can fit 65-series tires on 19" wheels. Aftermarket Compomotive 18's are supposedly in the works. Then 70-series 32" tires should fit no problem. Lots of room to air those down. I'm sure someone will eventually build beadlocks that fit too...it's likely the Defender will use the same offset and lug spacing that the rest of the lineup already uses.

J!m

Actually it was the two-pinion diffs in the range Rovers that broke all the time. Because of this, the Discos received Defender V8 four-pinion diffs and no longer broke. I think one was replaced between 1991 and 1998 during the Disco’s tenure.

They also added concentric rear springs (from Carmichael fire tender conversions) to carry the extra weight. That’s about it beyond the visible changes. 200 and then 300Tdi engines.

They did opt for manual front windows for safety, in the event of a motor failure. And the radio was replaced with a battery condition gage and power plug for the hand held search light.

I was surprised at how little was changed from “stock” on these trucks. Frames did not get additional plating or gussets as military and special order Defenders did. (Mine has both along with the concentric “1-ton” springs)

Let’s look back on Range Rover classics now and evaluate the health of the electrical systems. These systems allow avoidable risk- that’s why I’m against them.

When I’m in a third world country, or a hundred or more miles from the nearest anything, I need a comprehensive understanding of my vehicle and it’s systems. All of them. I am not so foolish as to rely on the wonders of modern technologies blindly.

Again this is my perspective based on my experience. If you want to take the cutting edge technological terror across Madagascar, I want to see the video!

PS: the majority of the Camel vehicles are still running and driving.

Red90

Adventurer
Discos never had the four pinion diffs. Original Discos had 10 spline and I’m 94 changed to the two pinion 24 spline. All crap.

J!m

All the camel discos were changed to four pinion 24 spline. Diffs were Defender V8 parts.

Hang on- this doesn’t get that deep... I have another chart that Tom Collins posted with more detail 18EFDA02-D7BA-48B0-85A1-CFD6D24E5158.jpeg

naks

Not to derail, but this is what a modern LR can do, in absolute comfort and safety.

The parts where I got stuck are mostly due to driver error, and in some cases, on purpose to try out the ATPC's capabilities.

It would also have fared better with AT tyres like the Pirelli ATR rather than road tyres.

No other vehicle in that convoy was standard, save for the Wrangler, which at one point when into limp mode for having overheated something.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
You "don't recall" a D5 being able to do one because there is no "Camel event" any more. The D5 is certified to ford 900mm which is 35.4" it can go deeper, but like most SUVs with a giant air pocket in the back end, the rear end will float unless you remove the underbody spare tire and/or weight it down with gear. Land Rover tested it by submerging it in 930mm of water (that's 36.6") with the doors open for an hour, then they swam in and started the engine and drove out. Apparently nobody got electrocuted. Yeah, if you want to turn it into a submarine you're going to need an aftermarket snorkel, which isn't out yet. The old Disco's would rust to the bejeezus from water intrusion - but with a snorkel, sure, you could ford water over the hood and up to your chest in the cabin on your Camel Trophy truck. And how many of those are left running? Even the ones with 4-pinon diffs and beefed-up axles? Actually, if any are left running it would be those, since the stock axles and diffs broke so often during Camel Trophies.

Winching all day - we'll see. With better traction tech you winch less. Same with airing down tires - with better inherent traction, there are fewer situations when airing down is necessary - and the advances in tire compounds have brought enhanced grip and durability literally where the rubber meets the trail. I like a little more sidewall in my tires too simply because I feel I need sidewall flexibility to prevent a blowout from hard impacts - So far 285/55's are working for me vs OEM 255/55's, but you can fit 65-series tires on 19" wheels. Aftermarket Compomotive 18's are supposedly in the works. Then 70-series 32" tires should fit no problem. Lots of room to air those down. I'm sure someone will eventually build beadlocks that fit too...it's likely the Defender will use the same offset and lug spacing that the rest of the lineup already uses.

>Wading is not just the air intake. You need to re-run all the drive train breathers higher too.
>Guarantee the traction control, trans control, transfer box controller, engine controllers, are not waterproofed for submersion. Old Land Rovers with no computers would run underwater because there is only one wire to turn it off.
>The air pocket you refer to is not what limits the car's wading depth, it is a combination of the above.
>The old discos did not rust out from the water intrusion (hyperbole), They just drove in and out and dried them. You might not have heard of the Range Rover they left at the bottom of a river for a few days before they hired enough indigenous locals to pull it out by hand. Got it running again and gave it to one of the incoming teams for event use, drove through and then some. No Camels rusted to death from event use, most would have rotted in their post-event locales. Never ever seen rust issues affect a Camel that was not wanton negligence or abandonment post-trophy.
>Some people use winches to work, recover other cars, move loads, trees etc. Not really a "don't need a winch, just drive better" case. Sure if you never use it more than once in a year.
>The most common breakage on camel was likely half shafts/cv's and centre diff. They preloaded the center diff unlocked a lot on event and grenaded a few. Axle differentials to a lesser extent, in any case they were bolt-in swaps with hand tools.
>IMO beadlocks are useless on anything less than an 85 sidewall ratio. Even if they did make some. Free to disagree, this is subjective.

Many camels still running around in the world. But hey, what do I know?

Take heed:

DieselRanger

>Wading is not just the air intake. You need to re-run all the drive train breathers higher too.
>Guarantee the traction control, trans control, transfer box controller, engine controllers, are not waterproofed for submersion. Old Land Rovers with no computers would run underwater because there is only one wire to turn it off.
>The air pocket you refer to is not what limits the car's wading depth, it is a combination of the above.
>The old discos did not rust out from the water intrusion (hyperbole), They just drove in and out and dried them. You might not have heard of the Range Rover they left at the bottom of a river for a few days before they hired enough indigenous locals to pull it out by hand. Got it running again and gave it to one of the incoming teams for event use, drove through and then some. No Camels rusted to death from event use, most would have rotted in their post-event locales. Never ever seen rust issues affect a Camel that was not wanton negligence or abandonment post-trophy.
>Some people use winches to work, recover other cars, move loads, trees etc. Not really a "don't need a winch, just drive better" case. Sure if you never use it more than once in a year.
>The most common breakage on camel was likely half shafts/cv's and centre diff. They preloaded the center diff unlocked a lot on event and grenaded a few. Axle differentials to a lesser extent, in any case they were bolt-in swaps with hand tools.
>IMO beadlocks are useless on anything less than an 85 sidewall ratio. Even if they did make some. Free to disagree, this is subjective.
Like I said the vehicle floats at deeper wading depths - this is from Land Rover, as is the submersion testing they did. How deep can it go? I don't know. If smartphones can be built to withstand submersion at that depth for at least 30 minutes (IP68 guarantees submersion up to 1.5m for 30 min), vehicle electronics can too with the same circuit board level waterproofing applied to modern smartphones. I don't know how LR's boxes are built (likely proprietary to Bosch or whoever supplies them), and I don't intend to let my D5 sit in over 3 feet of water for an hour with water in the cabin, but it's nice to know that if it happens, chances are I can start it and drive it out.

Rust that weakens frame and body happens over months and years, not days. But trail damage and abrasion from mud, salt, and water opens up avenues for rust and you'll never get it out of the nooks and crannies. Rust tends to happen at flex points, which was also where grit and water accumulate. It's not / hyperbole / at all. The protection and galvanization today is far better. Rust wasn't just a problem for old Discos. Entropy is a **********.

True on the winches, didn't say "don't need a winch" - I said "winch less". WARN makes good stuff. Lots of room for cooling the winch around the no-cut recessed kits sold by Lucky 8 and Matzker, if you've had a look in the front end of a D5 including behind the bumper, there's a ton of empty space in there. They're not buried inside a closed-off engine compartment.

As you noticed, and as I mentioned, the CT's with the 4-pinon diff and the beefier axles broke less. That was a modification. But yes, they were serviceable in the field. Still, the teams that broke less earned more points and eventually won. Time will tell whether the D5 holds up - it's still quite new, but between modern computer-aided FMEA and nearly continuous fleet testing literally all over the world, if LR says it can I'll believe them. I'm not a CT racer, unfortunately probably never will be whether LR is successful in bringing it back or not (they're reportedly looking into it), but I have absolutely no qualms driving from, say, Denver to Lake Tahoe and back on as little pavement as possible (this will happen...just not sure when) or driving over the Andes if I could take six months off to drive down and back as well.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
With JLR financial losses and reports of 5K layoffs I suspect the 202x Defender will be here sooner rather than later.

naks

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/18/2020-land-rover-defender-teaser/

dims

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Like I said the vehicle floats at deeper wading depths - this is from Land Rover, as is the submersion testing they did. How deep can it go? I don't know. If smartphones can be built to withstand submersion at that depth for at least 30 minutes (IP68 guarantees submersion up to 1.5m for 30 min), vehicle electronics can too with the same circuit board level waterproofing applied to modern smartphones. I don't know how LR's boxes are built (likely proprietary to Bosch or whoever supplies them), and I don't intend to let my D5 sit in over 3 feet of water for an hour with water in the cabin, but it's nice to know that if it happens, chances are I can start it and drive it out.

Rust that weakens frame and body happens over months and years, not days. But trail damage and abrasion from mud, salt, and water opens up avenues for rust and you'll never get it out of the nooks and crannies. Rust tends to happen at flex points, which was also where grit and water accumulate. It's not / hyperbole / at all. The protection and galvanization today is far better. Rust wasn't just a problem for old Discos. Entropy is a **********.

True on the winches, didn't say "don't need a winch" - I said "winch less". WARN makes good stuff. Lots of room for cooling the winch around the no-cut recessed kits sold by Lucky 8 and Matzker, if you've had a look in the front end of a D5 including behind the bumper, there's a ton of empty space in there. They're not buried inside a closed-off engine compartment.

As you noticed, and as I mentioned, the CT's with the 4-pinon diff and the beefier axles broke less. That was a modification. But yes, they were serviceable in the field. Still, the teams that broke less earned more points and eventually won. Time will tell whether the D5 holds up - it's still quite new, but between modern computer-aided FMEA and nearly continuous fleet testing literally all over the world, if LR says it can I'll believe them. I'm not a CT racer, unfortunately probably never will be whether LR is successful in bringing it back or not (they're reportedly looking into it), but I have absolutely no qualms driving from, say, Denver to Lake Tahoe and back on as little pavement as possible (this will happen...just not sure when) or driving over the Andes if I could take six months off to drive down and back as well.

>They didn't make the modules IP68 or that fact would be touted all over the brochures. Just because it is possible to build things to IP68 standards does not mean they built their car that way.
>So you're saying you wouldn't do X with your Land Rover, but "It's the best one they ever made", even after I informed you they left a 1980s Range Rover at the bottom of a river completely submerged for DAYS and it still ran fine and probably still exists out there. Interesting.
>D5 is not using galvanized steel. ZA land rovers 20 years ago already used galv frames.
>You said:
" The old Disco's would rust to the bejeezus from water intrusion"
>and yet I have yet to find one that rusted because of fording rivers. 20 years in salt, sure. You are still being hyperbolic. Where are you getting this amazing info from? I can walk outside and look at two cars right now that are 20+ years old with minimal rust issues and both have been forded.
>Lol an 8274 is a Warn. Pick between an accessible tray and a hidden behind the bumper fascia tray, and then try removing it for service, service it in situ, replace the solenoids, wire one up. One is better for working, and one looks better. I encourage the working platform.
>Planetary winches cannot power out constantly, I don't even know if you are supposed to power them out. No D5 can fit a worm gear or spur gear winch. Planetary is fine, but is not the "best" winch.
>Have you compared the "beefier" axles? CT vehicles were built off the factory line with commercially available parts. They were not "modified", as someone noted above this was a One Ten V8 configuration given to event vehicles. Land Rover was building salisbury front and rear axles since the 1970s, and see also the Wolf axle program the army demanded. CT axles are just normal stuff. They look like Land Rover axles, nothing special.

>My only major issue with what you say is:

D5 is not the best Land Rover they ever made. Almost objectively so.

It has not proven itself enough, it is not cheap enough, it is not robust enough, it is not versatile enough. The only thing you might say about it is that it is a nice car, and is probably one of the safest land rovers they ever built but even then, the sentinel program exists and those are safer. It has maybe the best traction computer in it, sure. You have a super cool, super nice to drive, super sophisticated car. You do not need to prove to the internet how nice it is. But when you say absolutes like oh its the best ever, I'm going to tell you "nah man.... it isn't..."

...BECAUSE THE BEST EVER IS A CUTHBERTSON YEE YEE

DieselRanger

>They didn't make the modules IP68 or that fact would be touted all over the brochures. Just because it is possible to build things to IP68 standards does not mean they built their car that way.
>So you're saying you wouldn't do X with your Land Rover, but "It's the best one they ever made", even after I informed you they left a 1980s Range Rover at the bottom of a river completely submerged for DAYS and it still ran fine and probably still exists out there. Interesting.

yeah, I'm saying I wouldn't intentionally leave my vehicle with the doors open in over 36 inches of water, because I don't want it to end up with evidence that it was in a "flood" such as having to replace carpet and clean silt out of seat rails and such, should I ever decide to sell or trade it. Would you do that to yours? No, didn't think so, but if I'm wrong, enjoy yourself. But as I said, if I ended up in that situation for whatever reason, I'm confident I could start it, drive out and get home safely, which is what matters.

Land Rover touts the D5's ability to drive better off-road than anything it's ever built, and it does. That's all that's necessary. The fact that they did let it sit in a pond for an hour and it still started and drove out seems to indicate there is a level of waterproofing in the electronics. Don't care how they do it and neither do most consumers. Sure, a Range Rover started after several days underwater. Super. You could probably do the same with a 1940 Ford pickup after taking the same actions they took with the Rangie. Not saying older LR vehicles weren't spectacular - just that this one is more capable off-road than anything they've ever built. I don't believe you would leave yours at the bottom of a river for four days just because you could, would you? Again, no, I didn't think so.

>D5 is not using galvanized steel. ZA land rovers 20 years ago already used galv frames.

The body panels are aluminum but structural members are high-strength steel, a type of steel that was not in automotive use 20 years ago. Aluminum doesn't rust or corrode like steel does, but any steel will rust without alloying with other metals or applying an anti-corrosion coating. Zinc and nickel are still the most widely-used anti-corrosion coatings used for steel, but today, as opposed to 20 years ago, they're mixed into paint and applied via electro-coating. Electro-coating is far more effective at penetrating nooks and crannies that could not be reached in the older hot-dip method, and the bonding to the steel is more consistent. If you use zinc, it's called "galvanization". It's not pure zinc, so sure, that's an inaccurate term by itself.

>and yet I have yet to find one that rusted because of fording rivers. 20 years in salt, sure. You are still being hyperbolic. Where are you getting this amazing info from? I can walk outside and look at two cars right now that are 20+ years old with minimal rust issues and both have been forded.
I gave you links to two vehicles plus a post describing the most common places rust can be found on D1/D2's. If you live in a nonzero-humidity environment - and yes, if you don't have a spacesuit on, you do - then rust will happen. It typcially happens at places where steel is bolted together, where it flexes, and anywhere water pools. Show me a vehicle that's been forded, or even driven in a rainy climate, and if it's old enough, I will show you rust. Unless owners were fastidious in scrubbing and painting these areas and they habitually garaged them, over time rust will be an issue, as evidenced by the links I gave you. Mine will have rust too, eventually, but I will wager that because of the application of newer technology, given the same use and same time, newer vehicles will rust less. Sorry, there are probably places on the two vehicles you have that are rusting worse than you can see. It's not your fault, it's chemistry.

>Lol an 8274 is a Warn. Pick between an accessible tray and a hidden behind the bumper fascia tray, and then try removing it for service, service it in situ, replace the solenoids, wire one up. One is better for working, and one looks better. I encourage the working platform.
For convenience, sure, an external winch is preferred. But the bolt-in recessed ones already on the market only take a few minutes on a jackstand to remove and service.

>Have you compared the "beefier" axles? CT vehicles were built off the factory line with commercially available parts. They were not "modified", as someone noted above this was a One Ten V8 configuration given to event vehicles. Land Rover was building salisbury front and rear axles since the 1970s, and see also the Wolf axle program the army demanded. CT axles are just normal stuff. They look like Land Rover axles, nothing special.

Ah, so the event vehicles with the "better" pinon and axles were built specifically for the event using an axle made for another model, a configuration that wasn't available to the consumer, but they weren't "modified." OK.... :sneaky:

>My only major issue with what you say is:

D5 is not the best Land Rover they ever made. Almost objectively so.

It has not proven itself enough, it is not cheap enough, it is not robust enough, it is not versatile enough. The only thing you might say about it is that it is a nice car, and is probably one of the safest land rovers they ever built but even then, the sentinel program exists and those are safer. It has maybe the best traction computer in it, sure. You have a super cool, super nice to drive, super sophisticated car. You do not need to prove to the internet how nice it is. But when you say absolutes like oh its the best ever, I'm going to tell you "nah man.... it isn't..."

Not trying to prove how "nice" it is. I don't think anyone disputes that. You're right, "best" is subjective because, obviously, many don't like the way it looks, or its price, or whatever. It's the "best" to me. But it is, demonstrably and without question, the most capable vehicle they have ever built. What would it take to "prove" it to you? Does it need to go through a Camel Trophy and then still be around 20 years later? If so, that may be an impossible standard to meet since there is no CT any more. Your opinion of its robustness is based on your disdain for independent suspension as a concept, which has been proven over and over again on the toughest races on the planet. And your distrust of electrons, despite thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of hours of engineering and testing and over a million miles of real-world testing, which were not applied to Land Rovers (clearly) prior to and even during the early Ford years. Certainly not when Lucas supplied wiring harnesses.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
yeah, I'm saying I wouldn't intentionally leave my vehicle with the doors open in over 36 inches of water, because I don't want it to end up with evidence that it was in a "flood" such as having to replace carpet and clean silt out of seat rails and such, should I ever decide to sell or trade it. Would you do that to yours? No, didn't think so, but if I'm wrong, enjoy yourself. But as I said, if I ended up in that situation for whatever reason, I'm confident I could start it, drive out and get home safely, which is what matters.

Well my car doesn't have factory carpets so I do not care about "flood evidence", it was made to do important things. I wash out the interior with a hose. No need to open the doors, the door seals don't keep standing water out anyway.

If I had an L322 or L405 or D5 I would not do this to my own car, sure. Life or death I need to get off this 4x4 path and somehow sinking it in a pond would do that, maybe.

If you are confident in it, then that is all that matters. Hope it serves you well.

Land Rover touts the D5's ability to drive better off-road than anything it's ever built, and it does. That's all that's necessary. The fact that they did let it sit in a pond for an hour and it still started and drove out seems to indicate there is a level of waterproofing in the electronics. Don't care how they do it and neither do most consumers. Sure, a Range Rover started after several days underwater. Super. You could probably do the same with a 1940 Ford pickup after taking the same actions they took with the Rangie. Not saying older LR vehicles weren't spectacular - just that this one is more capable off-road than anything they've ever built. I don't believe you would leave yours at the bottom of a river for four days just because you could, would you? Again, no, I didn't think so.

You should care if they are claiming it is the best they ever made. It should tie my shoes underwater for me by that logic. If I had LR's budget or even a fraction of their testing, press car budget I would happily leave a car like that to see and prove what it can do. I would be surprised if it was somehow unaffected.

The body panels are aluminum but structural members are high-strength steel, a type of steel that was not in automotive use 20 years ago. Aluminum doesn't rust or corrode like steel does, but any steel will rust without alloying with other metals or applying an anti-corrosion coating. Zinc and nickel are still the most widely-used anti-corrosion coatings used for steel, but today, as opposed to 20 years ago, they're mixed into paint and applied via electro-coating. Electro-coating is far more effective at penetrating nooks and crannies that could not be reached in the older hot-dip method, and the bonding to the steel is more consistent. If you use zinc, it's called "galvanization". It's not pure zinc, so sure, that's an inaccurate term by itself.

I am not a metallurgist so my galvanization view is really a "needs to be hot dipped or full spray/immersion treatment" for it to be galvanized.

I gave you links to two vehicles plus a post describing the most common places rust can be found on D1/D2's. If you live in a nonzero-humidity environment - and yes, if you don't have a spacesuit on, you do - then rust will happen. It typcially happens at places where steel is bolted together, where it flexes, and anywhere water pools. Show me a vehicle that's been forded, or even driven in a rainy climate, and if it's old enough, I will show you rust. Unless owners were fastidious in scrubbing and painting these areas and they habitually garaged them, over time rust will be an issue, as evidenced by the links I gave you. Mine will have rust too, eventually, but I will wager that because of the application of newer technology, given the same use and same time, newer vehicles will rust less. Sorry, there are probably places on the two vehicles you have that are rusting worse than you can see. It's not your fault, it's chemistry.

None were camels, you mentioned camels. Both your examples were neglect and lack of proper care with environmental consideration. I lived in a salted winter environment with a high humidity and I had rust which I was constantly washing, sanding, painting away. And this was newer Land Rover.

I don't need to show you a vehicle, I own one. it has been driven in rivers and put away wet, sat with mud up to the gills, lived in a humid climate, driven hard, and did important things. It was cared for well and I have put my eyeballs on just about every inch of the car during disassembly and maintenance. You have a brand new car. Quit making these statements. I don't get why you feel you need to prove me wrong somehow.

For convenience, sure, an external winch is preferred. But the bolt-in recessed ones already on the market only take a few minutes on a jackstand to remove and service.

Planetary vs spur vs worm then? Thoughts.

Ah, so the event vehicles with the "better" pinon and axles were built specifically for the event using an axle made for another model, a configuration that wasn't available to the consumer, but they weren't "modified." OK.... :sneaky:

It was available to consumers. V8 one-ten was fitted with this axle. You could buy them. Honestly they really do not differ much from a standard front axle off a 90 or discovery. And again... most of the breakage was centre diff, half shafts. Each of those were factory standard. Every single camel car was built with commercially available/used/offered components.

Not trying to prove how "nice" it is. I don't think anyone disputes that. You're right, "best" is subjective because, obviously, many don't like the way it looks, or its price, or whatever. It's the "best" to me. But it is, demonstrably and without question, the most capable vehicle they have ever built. What would it take to "prove" it to you? Does it need to go through a Camel Trophy and then still be around 20 years later? If so, that may be an impossible standard to meet since there is no CT any more. Your opinion of its robustness is based on your disdain for independent suspension as a concept, which has been proven over and over again on the toughest races on the planet. And your distrust of electrons, despite thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of hours of engineering and testing and over a million miles of real-world testing, which were not applied to Land Rovers (clearly) prior to and even during the early Ford years. Certainly not when Lucas supplied wiring harnesses.

Yes, you caught me. Take it through a CT route and then have it sit for 20+ years. Then I will be satisfied it is the best. When you say "Demonstrably and without question", who also is saying this? Here I am questioning it and thus right there you have an issue. You absolutely need to back this up. Burden of proof for a claim like this is on you, otherwise don't make the claim. It sounds like "Even though BetaMax has only been out for two years, it is the BEST media format EVER". Bold statement there.

>You're confusing me with some other guy above who didn't like IFS. I think IFS is totally cool. I had an LR3 and it was very nice.
>I don't distrust electronics. I prefer less, and I like things that if they break I a layperson might be able to trace and repair. So this is a subjective stance. However, objectively the more systems you have the more entropy you get when you test the car. You cannot have it do the same things and come out with less breakage. On the same vein, I like seat heaters/ventilation, I like nice stereos, I like driving aids, navigation, etc. I liked just about every piece of electrics on a Discovery 5 when I drove one. I did not think "this is the best thing Land Rover ever made".

I would invite you to relax but you'd probably tell me you're already the most relaxed person ever.

DieselRanger

When you say "Demonstrably and without question", who also is saying this? Here I am questioning it and thus right there you have an issue.

"Most capable." Land Rover made that claim initially, (and here, probably the same press event) based on testing and demonstration, but they are now reserving that tagline for the upcoming new Defender, which has its own reputation to...er, defend.
Land Rover also says this is the most capable off-roader it’s ever built. Including the Defender? Yup. In fact, after prototypes were tested for 28 months in 20 countries around the world, the Discovery became known internally as the King of the Hill.
Sure, they gotta sell cars and you wouldn't expect them to say "eh, it's good but it's not great, you know we really peaked around 1997..." But Land Rover have a reputation to uphold, and putting their name and superlatives to something that was less than what a storied name could or should do...that's brand suicide and they're not that stupid (though they were, briefly, with the Freelander). Lots of videos out there of new Discos vs. Defenders and old Discos - most with the D5 on stock tires - and it can do everything the old ones can do, and in most cases even on the stock tires, with less difficulty or with a different driving style that wouldn't be required with better tires. That's what matters - doing "important" things better, right now. That's what I'm talking about. Durability over a generation of time will have to wait.

Can't hose mine out - but my door seals work. That will be for the 5th or 6th owner. I can give you my experiences with it, point out volumes of reviews and videos, but I guess we'll agree to disagree.

See you on the trails.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
....... Lots of videos out there of new Discos vs. Defenders and old Discos - most with the D5 on stock tires - and it can do everything the old ones can do, and in most cases even on the stock tires, with less difficulty or with a different driving style that wouldn't be required with better tires. That's what matters - doing "important" things better, right now. That's what I'm talking about. Durability over a generation of time will have to wait........

The D5 may be good in many environments but not all, and never will be with current reliance on technology to ameliorate basic design limitations. I watched as multiple Land Rovers attempted to climb or climbed a relatively benign hill composed of broken down granite/shale rock. Those relying on "traction control" never succeed as the technology couldn't deal with limited traction on every wheel. Those with locked diffs walked right up with some degree of traction loss. Open diff? Forget it.

The current technology path is too complex and too expensive. In a deflationary environment the pricing is moving towards $100K for what was $35K. Global automotive sales are now in decline. Land Rover is cutting 5K jobs, shutting down production lines and taking losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior