2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDROVER

Explorer
@blackangie
BMW engine that was used in rover vehicles in USA was the worst engine Land Rover came with.
The funny part I that you consider it good business move,
I am assuming you are not up to date what’s going on in USA Land Rover market and what ppl think of bmw vehicles and engines here.
here is a clue, terrible quality.

gatorgrizz27

What engine/s specifically are you referring too from current lineup?

Considering we haven't even heard anything official from LR we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

I would say this from autocar might give light as to what they are after.
9fb2617208fe1f7ab16ec128c97d33c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I suppose they aren’t “current” as they were dropped in ‘15 and ‘16, but the N52 with its magnesium block and aluminum bolts that randomly sheared off in it. They also had issues with lifters needing replacement under 50k miles and the wife’s ate the catalytic converters 3k miles out of warranty. Estimated $5k repair as you can’t use aftermarket cats and BMW NA said GFY.

The other ones that immediately come to mind are the high pressure fuel injection pumps on the N54 TT’s. They cost several $k and were problematic enough about dying just past warranty that BMW was forced to extend the warranty period to avoid a recall.

I am slightly biased based on my experience with the Jag engines (4.4L, 4.2L SC, and 3.0L SC) which have needed NOTHING. No ignition coil packs, no water pumps, no valve cover gaskets, nada.

blackangie

I suppose they aren’t “current” as they were dropped in ‘15 and ‘16, but the N52 with its magnesium block and aluminum bolts that randomly sheared off in it. They also had issues with lifters needing replacement under 50k miles and the wife’s ate the catalytic converters 3k miles out of warranty. Estimated $5k repair as you can’t use aftermarket cats and BMW NA said GFY.

The other ones that immediately come to mind are the high pressure fuel injection pumps on the N54 TT’s. They cost several $k and were problematic enough about dying just past warranty that BMW was forced to extend the warranty period to avoid a recall.

I am slightly biased based on my experience with the Jag engines (4.4L, 4.2L SC, and 3.0L SC) which have needed NOTHING. No ignition coil packs, no water pumps, no valve cover gaskets, nada.
Yeah cheers, lets hope JLR only pick the good stuff from them, I'm sure most manufacturers have had dud engines.

blackangie

@blackangie
BMW engine that was used in rover vehicles in USA was the worst engine Land Rover came with.
The funny part I that you consider it good business move,
I am assuming you are not up to date what’s going on in USA Land Rover market and what ppl think of bmw vehicles and engines here.
here is a clue, terrible quality.

Re: the BMW 4.4s in earlier Rangie L322's (first 3 years) what specifically is the problem in the states, other than some oil leaks from valve cover gasket issues, they have a rep of being a strong engine in AU. Infact when I try to google issues with L322 Range rover bmw 4.4 v8s you dont get much at all. The gearboxes on the other hand especially the GM ones were a 100km item if not serviced more tha n recommended.

Latest gen Rovers worldwide have a better rep then any time in the past from what I've seen. I would happily jump in any of them and drive across the states or Australia, I couldn't say the same about older Landies or Rangies ( I own a RRC and love it.).

According to J.D power relisbility ratings, Landrover was also most improved over last year in terms of reliability is US and similar to Toyota in the UK. And their recalls are mainly infotainment related.

With Apple carplay and Android auto avail now + SOTA rolling out future reliability will no doubt follow the current trend of improvement imo.

Last edited:

gatorgrizz27

Re: the BMW 4.4s in earlier Rangie L322's (first 3 years) what specifically is the problem in the states, other than some oil leaks from valve cover gasket issues, they have a rep of being a strong engine in AU. Infact when I try to google issues with L322 Range rover bmw 4.4 v8s you dont get much at all. The gearboxes on the other hand especially the GM ones were a 100km item if not serviced more tha n recommended.

Latest gen Rovers worldwide have a better rep then any time in the past from what I've seen. I would happily jump in any of them and drive across the states or Australia, I couldn't say the same about older Landies or Rangies ( I own a RRC and love it.).

According to J.D power relisbility ratings, Landrover was also most improved over last year in terms of reliability is US and similar to Toyota in the UK. And their recalls are mainly infotainment related.

With Apple carplay and Android auto avail now + SOTA rolling out future reliability will no doubt follow the current trend of improvement imo.

Exactly, and that rep is largely a result of using the Jag engines. I agree that all manufactures have issues, my beef with BMW is that they seem to enjoy producing grossly over complicated/unobotanium designs for small perceived benefits. Then small issues turn into massive ones and reasonably affordable parts to make repairs don’t exist. And I’m not speaking about “why do they put these durn computers in cars, give me a carb so I can work on it.”

naks

FYI, the best engine ever fitted to the Defender was the BMW 2.8i.

This was only done in South Africa while BMW owned LR, the engineers at the Rosslyn plant in Pretoria decided to go ahead and do this on their own.

Many of these running around with 300-500+ Kkm without major issues.

And some petrolheads even bolted on Vortec superchargers on these :ROFLMAO:

gatorgrizz27

Multiple 110 & 90s back @ the ring.

Im guessing tweaking tunes and dynamics after worldwide testing feedback.

SWB and LWB 2020 Land Rover Defenders Take to the Nurburgring - autoevolution

YouTube

Nice link, the spec sheets are interesting but a few things are hard to make out. I assume all of the trim levels and engines won’t make it to the US, but I looks like 18” wheels are available on the base models. Hopefully they all have the same brakes so 18’s can be fitted to ones that leave the factory with 20’s.

It would be really nice if these are popular enough to have a lot of aftermarket support quickly. That’s the best thing about the Jeep Wrangler platform IMO. The 130 is exciting to me too, though I won’t be in the market any time soon.

JeepColorado

As Wrangler's get ever more expensive I think the Defender will definitely be cross-shopped with it. The lack of after-market support for the last several years is disconcerting, however I'm hopeful that LR is designing it in a way that is not so prohibitive to modification and that there is so much energy around this Defender that we'll see vendors take an interest. I'd love to see ARB lift one with some bumpers, lights, rack, breather, etc...

REDROVER

Explorer
Who was the dude that said air suspension was reliable in craprover And defender should use that ?
enjoy the picture, Toyota Land Cruiser pulling out LR4, suspension dropped in the worst part of the trail.
ADD4351F-9364-4324-8A98-3ECD34619C3D.jpeg

I'm probably one of those guys who said it! I don't use one example for my judgment though and I agree with the disadvantages! However, I stand by the fact that modern air IS reliable in the VAST majority of cases.

On that note, I never said LR SHOULD use it, I said that if its the only option, it won't be a showstopper in 95% of the cases it'll be successful in.

I do, however, have a fail-safe mechanism built into mine to keep you from every having to tow me due to suspension failure....hahahahaa

blackangie

Haha Eric
I’ll give credit where it deserves. 220.000 miles on that red lr4.
And runs like new.
We had an amazing time.
I’ll post pictures.
That makes sense 200k's and you dont have to touch air susp on newer rovers in AU, even then its usually just Shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94