2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Right, I'm saying that the lift is a compromise in on-road handling and not needed in 99.99999999% of situations when driving a capable factory rig (wrangler, 4R, LR3, etc).

The Rubicon isn't exactly an overland trail... the same way the obstacles in Moab aren't either.

Scott Brady

Founder
Right, I'm saying that the lift is a compromise in on-road handling and not needed in 99.99999999% of situations when driving a capable factory rig (wrangler, 4R, LR3, etc).

The Rubicon isn't exactly an overland trail... the same way the obstacles in Moab aren't either.
In general, I agree with this. There are really only a few highly specialized environments in the world that require heavy modifications for travel (like when I crossed Antarctica and Greenland). Even the Rubicon can easily be managed by a stock or near stock vehicle. I remember driving a stock Jeep Liberty over the 'con when they used to require every Jeep vehicle pass the trail. The new Defender will no doubt be able to cross the Rubicon with light modification (i.e. skid plates and body protection) and a competent driver.

JeepColorado

I think the gap between what we are saying is the difference between the minimum of what is "required" to do a trail verse what I'm suggesting increases off-road capability and has the added benefit, in my opinion, of bringing further individuality and personality to a vehicle. An incredibly important part of what drives the entire industry.

I've done the Rubicon and a lot of Moab in stock vehicles and agree, with some good decision making it can be done. I also have experienced that adding a modest lift, with the increased articulation it affords, the larger tire size which allows you to air down and the increased approach and departure angles allows you to explore places and lines beyond only those that are the most accessible by a stock vehicle. While my opinion on the visual appeal of lifting is certainly my own I think the aftermarket availability speaks volumes about just how much people who enjoy 4WDs, enjoy lifting them.

REDROVER

Explorer
Agreed! I stay with moderate lifts; had a 2001 Diesel Excursion I lifted to the sun on 37", lost just about every true capability other than looks. I did a remod and dropped it 4" lift with 35" (closer to 34") and the performance with towing and moderate off-road was perfect for what it could be.

Couldn't agree more with @REDROVER on the H1; true IFS built for purpose, unfortunately our LR3/4 IFS need longer control arms and axles to get the full function/performance out of a lift anything higher than Normal/Off-road height due to driveline angles and ball joint geometry.

I'm on 32" and some change with BFG KM2 (17") and I will say its damn near perfect off-road. The wheels tuck in the wells at full compression, full steering lock to lock with zero rub and zero modifications outside of the brakes to make them fit and the braking force reduction is null due to driver awareness. I can go on an on with this mod and believe it is how the Disco 3/4 should have come and also any other modern Rover!

17" wheel or less is optimum for any, I mean any configuration for a true SUV because ultimately, the rubber that meets the terrafirma is the limitation with most modern traction controls! Jeep and Toyota have always stayed inside this window for tire options because they too understand where traction control and tire selection work in unison.

Still liking the Defender but just seeing the price tag slowly moving up and up on this thing with the marketing for true off-road going south. This thing is probably a beast off-road and they have yet to show it or them willing to take some significant trail rash and keep plugging along! Even the wives of the men who are drooling over the Defender for their next soccer club meeting can appreciate that when they pick up Johnny and Susie and their four friends for Chucky Cheese runs!

Off my soapbox!

Hey buddy this week we are planning to go to coyote flats in eastern Sierras.
Southern California Land Rover Guys May join.
So far we have land cruiser and my H1
You are welcome to join if you would like,
Family event,

Scott Brady

Founder
I'm suggesting increases off-road capability and has the added benefit, in my opinion, of bringing further individuality and personality to a vehicle. An incredibly important part of what drives the entire industry.

Totally agree. And you make an important point about the vehicle being a canvas for the individual- that is so important to most buyer, and have been a talking point for me with Land Rover on this product.

blackangie

Which is why reliable airbag susp is the ultimate for an offroad/onroad vehicle

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

In general, I agree with this. There are really only a few highly specialized environments in the world that require heavy modifications for travel (like when I crossed Antarctica and Greenland). Even the Rubicon can easily be managed by a stock or near stock vehicle. I remember driving a stock Jeep Liberty over the 'con when they used to require every Jeep vehicle pass the trail. The new Defender will no doubt be able to cross the Rubicon with light modification (i.e. skid plates and body protection) and a competent driver.
Mules have been spotted with skid plates, sliders, winch, tubebar, recovery points, so maybe it will be able to from the factory if boxes are ticked by buyer.

It would suprise me if rubicon wasnt one of the trails the new defender completed

The following trails i wrote down from comments online as people actually seeing the new defender driving.

Hells revenge

Fins and things

Golden spike

Poinson spider (including the most dificult section

Steel bender

mpinco

Expedition Leader
As the automotive industry continues to contract as sales slow for a variety of reasons .......

Nissan Slashing Over 10,000 Jobs Globally, 7% Of Its Entire Workforce

Appears JLR will be sourcing engines from BMW

BMW And Jaguar Land Rover's Partnership Just Got Way More Interesting
Jul 22, 2019

"......And now Autocar has a very interesting update: the two companies have now agreed to a "more far-reaching deal involving petrol (gasoline) diesel, and hybridized drivelines” for a range of vehicles. .........

........In other words, BMW and JLR are set to co-develop internal combustion engines. Sources claim BMW will supply JLR with internal combustion engines, including inline-four and six-cylinder units "both with and without electrically-assisted hybrid functions.” ......."

BMW gets an expanded production volume to amortorize R&D cost. JLR gets powertrains already nearing production and regulator approval while reducing R&D cost and refocusing on newer technologies.

@REDROVER wish I could make this weekend! I'll touch base with you via PM and chat about future events!

Who's our contact for Southern Cali LR Club? I'm about to put a NCLR sticker and membership on my SoCal rig! hahaha

blackangie

As the automotive industry continues to contract as sales slow for a variety of reasons .......

Nissan Slashing Over 10,000 Jobs Globally, 7% Of Its Entire Workforce

Appears JLR will be sourcing engines from BMW

BMW And Jaguar Land Rover's Partnership Just Got Way More Interesting
Jul 22, 2019

"......And now Autocar has a very interesting update: the two companies have now agreed to a "more far-reaching deal involving petrol (gasoline) diesel, and hybridized drivelines” for a range of vehicles. .........

........In other words, BMW and JLR are set to co-develop internal combustion engines. Sources claim BMW will supply JLR with internal combustion engines, including inline-four and six-cylinder units "both with and without electrically-assisted hybrid functions.” ......."

BMW gets an expanded production volume to amortorize R&D cost. JLR gets powertrains already nearing production and regulator approval while reducing R&D cost and refocusing on newer technologies.
Anyone seen anything official from LR on this? Im hoping this means the BMW v8 as an option in an SVX defender
Project Jennifer has been rumoured for years.

365713644054245ff309b8f00ea4731a.jpg

REDROVER

Explorer
Bmw engine huh lol
the 4.4! Was so lovely and brought Land Rover reputation to Honda reliability level and now they want even more.
Haha

gatorgrizz27

BMW can keep their engines, please don’t put them back in Rovers. Over complicated, problem riddled pieces of crap in my experience. This is speaking of the new ones, not the old L322 engines.

blackangie

Bmw engine huh lol
the 4.4! Was so lovely and brought Land Rover reputation to Honda reliability level and now they want even more.
Haha
Don't see what's funny with that, sounds like a good business decision, would you rather they be unreliable?

blackangie

BMW can keep their engines, please don’t put them back in Rovers. Over complicated, problem riddled pieces of crap in my experience. This is speaking of the new ones, not the old L322 engines.
What engine/s specifically are you referring too from current lineup?

Considering we haven't even heard anything official from LR we may be getting ahead of ourselves.

I would say this from autocar might give light as to what they are after.
9fb2617208fe1f7ab16ec128c97d33c8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94