2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSG

Well I really hope they offer the wide range of trims he stated in the articles here in the USA too. I would like a utilitarian trim/model Defender with a diesel, like a Troopy type model. Please let us have the same trims that you will offer in Australia. Come on Land Rover, convince me to trade in my new 4runner TRD PRO haha.

JeepColorado

I'm weird, I really would love to see a luxury interior version, but without the air bags. I just like a lifted vehicle. I know is AU and in other places it's just not as big of a deal from the videos I've seen, but I've always loved the look and functionality of a 4x4 lifted. A Defender with horsepower, luxury interior, winch, rack, bumpers, lights sitting on 35s would be incredible.

JeepColorado

Description of the Euro NCAP one-star rating for the Wrangler:
"Although the Wrangler earned a top score in the side barrier test and was rated Good for whiplash protection, it did not do well in the frontal crash tests. In its comments, Euro NCAP indicated that the Wrangler provided only marginal protection for the chest, body area, and neck for the driver and/or adult passenger, while offering better protection of the knees and femurs. The results for protection of a 10-year-old dummy in a car seat were mixed, and there were issues with the ease of installation of various child seats in different seating positions. Pedestrian-impact scores also dragged down the Jeep's overall rating, as did the lack of lane-keeping assist and automated emergency braking."

More troubling was Jeep's response - effectively, "we don't care:" - "Testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle." Unfortunately, their drivers mostly drive in "urban scenarios," by which Jeep clearly means, "anywhere on a paved surface."

The D5 was built to exceed all standards, and earned a 5-star NCAP rating. They also performed tests that weren't required, such as multiple-roll tests, where they verified the passenger compartment could maintain shape after rolling three times. I can't find any evidence that Jeep has done anything similar, which is a more likely in any "scenario" that Jeep fancies its drivers regularly drive in.

I think the statement of, "you will see it will be a very wide, stretched range. We will compete with some of the volume manufacturers but we will also go up to very powerful, very luxurious versions of the Defender" is very encouraging.

I really couldn't care less about safety ratings. Cars today are so much safer than anything before. So much of the ratings depends on the tech, which the Rubicon models in the States does have anyway. Would I give up the ability to remove the doors and top and feel the wind or to have the joy of driving around slowly off-road in a field with the doors off hearing the sounds and being a part of the environment in such a way that the typical steel coffin doesn't allow so that I can gain a few dings when I get closer to something than a computer thinks I should--- not ever! Maybe I'm crazy, I do ride a motorcycle after all.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
This is a good thread on the new Defender. Please refrain to mix it up with a debate on the Jeep safety (but feel free to start your own thread about this)

Jeep safety is just a reference point for LR design decisions. It was not a discussion on Jeep safety itself. The point is that safety is not one of the primary decision criteria for a offroad vehicle. Jeep is that reference as sales volumes of Jeeps far exceeds LR.

The new Defender can meet all the safety regulations and still be a failure. Jeep fails the safety regulations and is a sales success. The D5 meets all the safety regulations and to date is struggling on sales.

Edit add: Are the articles on Jeep safety a criticism of Jeep? Not at all. In fact more of a complement in that they actually offer a product the consumer wants.

Last edited:

naks

Sure, until you load up the family in the Jeep, have a massive accident, and end up burying your wife and/or children...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Sure, until you load up the family in the Jeep, have a massive accident, and end up burying your wife and/or children...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

There is that possibility with every vehicle. My point is that safety is oversold when it actually comes down to buying decisions. For the outdoor crowd safety is near the bottom. For the urban dweller it is probably ranked higher.

Data is your friend. There are many more Jeeps on the road than any other 4WD which tells you how high safety is ranked within that consumer sector.

blackangie

Let's take this another step. Do all the regulations on safety end in appliances? Case in point. Two white vans pulled up to me yesterday. At first I thought they were the same model/manufacturer. They were not. One was a Nissan, the other a Toyota. The differences were minor. Both boring white toasters with wheels. I'm sure both contained all the technology the buyer wanted but in the end they were just different smartphones with different apps loaded by the owner. I'm sure both passed all the safety ratings with flying colors. That's what appliances do.
Good point and I think that was the challenge for Land Rover to make the new Defender the most capable Land Rover ever but still have world class safety and efficiency

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

I'm weird, I really would love to see a luxury interior version, but without the air bags. I just like a lifted vehicle. I know is AU and in other places it's just not as big of a deal from the videos I've seen, but I've always loved the look and functionality of a 4x4 lifted. A Defender with horsepower, luxury interior, winch, rack, bumpers, lights sitting on 35s would be incredible.
Im sure non airbag models will be avail bused on mules, which markets though? Who knows.

blackangie

Jeep safety is just a reference point for LR design decisions. It was not a discussion on Jeep safety itself. The point is that safety is not one of the primary decision criteria for a offroad vehicle. Jeep is that reference as sales volumes of Jeeps far exceeds LR.

The new Defender can meet all the safety regulations and still be a failure. Jeep fails the safety regulations and is a sales success. The D5 meets all the safety regulations and to date is struggling on sales.

Edit add: Are the articles on Jeep safety a criticism of Jeep? Not at all. In fact more of a complement in that they actually offer a product the consumer wants.
Jeep is in no way a worldwide sales success. In AU LR outsells Jeep, most likely its the same in Europe.

blackangie

There is that possibility with every vehicle. My point is that safety is oversold when it actually comes down to buying decisions. For the outdoor crowd safety is near the bottom. For the urban dweller it is probably ranked higher.

Data is your friend. There are many more Jeeps on the road than any other 4WD which tells you how high safety is ranked within that consumer sector.
The problem is there are many in the outdoor crowd that are also Urban dwellers.
Also many outdoor crowd types want their cars to be safe and capable, especially if they have their family coming along.

The new defender looks too take care of all scenarios so you will be safe whether you think you need it or not.

blackangie

2020 Land Rover Defender: What It'll Look Like, Tech & Everything Else We Know | Carscoops

Some new Artists illustrations, few things are off, few things look right..not a bad effort, surprised its taken this long for drawings to come out based on invictus/tusk.
4afcfa2a448d01aa95eb75c0676fb6da.jpg
f91566ea22f057ad3e8090eb9eae9ab2.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Stolen from Instagram

Attachments

• 0E2C41C1-B853-43CD-8A42-E5017E1C4C40.jpeg
    0E2C41C1-B853-43CD-8A42-E5017E1C4C40.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 961B8F80-A445-4975-BC96-F31880E88D09.jpeg
    961B8F80-A445-4975-BC96-F31880E88D09.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 6CBA1AE0-6E25-4914-972E-93377980541C.jpeg
    6CBA1AE0-6E25-4914-972E-93377980541C.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 39

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Two more. Still don’t think it looks Defender enough. But it looks like what we will get.

Attachments

• 524F0B68-6D81-4EC1-B5F9-62CCFF38D1E4.jpeg
    524F0B68-6D81-4EC1-B5F9-62CCFF38D1E4.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 45
  • FF7DDDE5-3247-4543-9A8D-A5D6B6533DCA.jpeg
    FF7DDDE5-3247-4543-9A8D-A5D6B6533DCA.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members