2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

Big news here im sure none of us saw coming

Retractable canvas roof over F/R seats??

Also first official conformation of dash shifter and leaked interior pic style tactile lower controls.

Nuevas fotos espia del moderno Land Rover Defender 110 revelan un techo de lona retractil - Motor.es
c266c7564ae031ccb47a9a203da5ac84.jpg
cd819d73749c77f4a2825c1d9cceac71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JeepColorado

The retractable canvas makes sense. Jeep has been noting that it's the only open top 4x4 available in the world. Although this isn't quite that, it's a step towards it. Not sure what I think of the dash shifter. I guess it would create more room in the footwell- make room for a middle seat on the front row. If they do the folding seats in the rear I really hope they allow you to delete the option or at least make them easily removable to open up the cargo space in the back.

blackangie

The retractable canvas makes sense. Jeep has been noting that it's the only open top 4x4 available in the world. Although this isn't quite that, it's a step towards it. Not sure what I think of the dash shifter. I guess it would create more room in the footwell- make room for a middle seat on the front row. If they do the folding seats in the rear I really hope they allow you to delete the option or at least make them easily removable to open up the cargo space in the back.
Looks like it will be optional
4a5c783004f8aff45b3326abf0453ee7.jpg
ce81fdc85e2aa104b45b7750c2c753b3.jpg
4c4b2db04ee21fed5e7c2db0d7f95a01.jpg

naks

from https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...efender-and-range-rover-velar-hybrids-spotted

"... appear to be testing a new bull bar and front winch combination for hardcore off-road enthusiasts. However, a check of the numberplate on a private website (as opposed to the DVLA site) details it as being powered by a petrol-electric drivetrain.

It’s the first time that we’ve seen a prototype for the new Defender without diesel power. Autocar understands that it will be offered with both mild-hybrid and plug-in hybrid engines in 2020, although with no visible charging port seen through the disguise, it’s likely that we have the former here."

attachment.php

attachment.php

merr1ca

Nice, at least we'll have some winch options right out of the gate from factory.

For anyone worried about the "hybrid" engines, we just started to receive that new Inginium I6 MHEVs here at the (US) dealerships in 19.5 RRS. It doesn't feel like a hybrid, more like an enhanced start stop functionality. It has better low end torque than the V6SC, sounds better (less drone), but it does have a tinge of turbo lag, which I found odd. I'm not sure if that's intentional or what, but I bet it could be sorted out with software. Most people wont notice it either way.

If they also put the P400 PHEV in there (likely) I wouldn't worry either. It's been almost a year since I've driven one, but that motor was very smooth and had gobs of torque basically at idle. I think I actually prefer it to the I6 MHEV.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The new technology is interesting but I have a problem with how it is being spec'd and sold. The P400 PHEV is advertised as "The efficient new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport P400e PHEV models provide sustainable performance by combining a 296hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder Ingenium gasoline engine with a 114hp (85kW) electric motor and an advanced 13.1kWh lithium-ion battery giving a total available power output of 398hp. " That's not a continuous 398 hp and the associated torque.

In summary once the battery stored energy is spent I'm relegated to a 2l four cylinder engine with 296hp and a torque curve of a 4 cylinder? Would work as a urban vehicle but likely not work so well as a tow vehicle on long uphill grades and distance. Can't imagine towing a 5,000 lb camper up I80 across Wyoming headed west.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

blackangie

Some more pics

Notice red brakes and wheels seem to be new.

And notice similarities to current tusk working vehicles.
f50d0076be33a4dc81a6b7eddf84b3ab.jpg
df555b9ed9bc9e9d2e35f672745bdec7.jpg
af1434af8e48d26afad279787c07f2cf.jpg
f08cb6dcc0a03b520d635505ab00556c.jpg

merr1ca

In summary once the battery stored energy is spent I'm relegated to a 2l four cylinder engine with 296hp and a torque curve of a 4 cylinder? Would work as a urban vehicle but likely not work so well as a tow vehicle on long uphill grades and distance. Can't imagine towing a 5,000 lb camper up I80 across Wyoming headed west.

That would not be fun and the tow rating is much lower for the PHEV for this exact reason. I depleted the battery on in the RRS I was driving and it was still plenty quick. Not that anyone reading this forum will opt for that motor anyway lol.

blackangie

That would not be fun and the tow rating is much lower for the PHEV for this exact reason. I depleted the battery on in the RRS I was driving and it was still plenty quick. Not that anyone reading this forum will opt for that motor anyway lol.
The d5 with no electric in lowest engine form tows 3500kgs or 7700 pounds sufficiently with full payload, with the 6 you dont know your towing.

SSG

I am highly interested in the four door if it comes in a diesel here in the USA and please please please NO air-suspension, or offer a trim without it. Stop the teasing already and put out all the info so those pre-orders can trickle in!

blackangie

I am highly interested in the four door if it comes in a diesel here in the USA and please please please NO air-suspension, or offer a trim without it. Stop the teasing already and put out all the info so those pre-orders can trickle in!
They are already coming in pretty strong in AU according to my dealer. Diesel was spotted/heard at moab. Cant agree with you on the coils, whilst im sure there will be that option as the D5 has that option and coil mules have been spotted, air is the pick in au and is known to be very reliable since Discovery 3/4's 200,000km before you have to touch it, and AU is very very rough in the outback.

Last edited:

blackangie

Yeah, need a proper roof for that Expedition roof-rack.

@blackangie any new info :)
Looks like enough space for fold back under that also notice this wrap doesn't have usual padding, like invictus but without the 3 fakes lines down side
acfcaa404c80ff1f375d390efb6e40d2.jpg

Heres some more recent stuff

Security cam or lidar/radar on one(sign on back?), another spotting in Austria, bonnet bulge showing blurred out sides(why) and wiper mounted washers. Checker plate or something similar next to bonnet?
9e794d729b6d6f1c08bb0e42e5a8141e.jpg
1e0670bde9a35df9e36fe27a2a55efa5.jpg
bffe5dc38d494cc2d35452ce327a53a2.jpg
8708676f324ed96baa048790f82b3ceb.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94