2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

I don't have an issue with IRS/IFS and the air suspension. A bit more maintenance than coils? Sure. But a proper crosslinked air-suspension is a joy to wheel.

I have two major issues with the Defender prototypes that are deal breakers for me.

First: Rim size. Someone has mentioned they've been seen in "various profiles". Looking at the photos there is no room between the caliper and the rim on 20"s. I believe I've seen some shots of the Defender on 21"s, but if someone has shots of the mules running around on 18"s or 17"s please link to them. I doubt they fit, but I really want them too.

Second: and I'm surprised I'm the only one harping on this: The radiators in front of the grill! You can clearly see by the mesh vents on both the mule (the one in the Range Rover Sport body) and the Prototype, that the radiators are most likely in the same place as the current D5 and Range Rover.

Watch this video of the 2013 Range Rover going over this course and see why I'm concerned about the radiator placement. A vital component of your vehicle is placed directly in the line of fire:

At the end of the day, I believe the new Defender will actually look awesome (I'm a fan of Alloy N' Grit's take on the camouflage), it will also perform well within it's element (if the rumors are true it completed Golden Spike....that's an accomplishment), but it just won't be designed to take the consistent abuse that a dedicated overland/rock crawler needs to be designed to take. Too many vitals in bad locations, wrong tire size, etc.
Really good points, certainly these are a few points that have come up on the AU forum.(I will dig up the pics used) apologies no short response is possible on this one.

Firstly to be fair, we have to remember that these pilot builds have been at Moab for two weeks, and multiple independent third parties have been really impressed with how they are performing, this is on bigish wheels with street tyres at street pressures, and no doubt with coolers to left and the right of the radiator.

TYRE PROFILE

In one of the early FJfester videos tire size is seen and it is a 32 inch tyre. With all that space in the guards moving into a 34 would be a easy as pie. Wheel size does not particularly matter rather the profile of the tire does.
6 or 7 in the sidewall is more than sufficient.

I doubt you would even need a lift rods, but if you do maybe a 1 or 2 inch to run 35s.

A better solution would be a subframe lift, which many don't realise this possible with the newer Land Rovers, in fact a 6 inch lift is now available for the RRS, RRVogue and D5.

Having said all that it looks like it runs just fine out of the factory like the current Defender.

COOLERS

The Engine oil cooler and auto cooler is an interesting one and one I believe to be another inovative JLR decision (Gwagon has also followed suit with the G550). For low temps and better performance in any conditions having rad, condenser, auto, cooler, engine oil cooler and in some cases intercooler infront all bunched in together just doesn't work.

I too had this dilemma with my LS RRC, couldn't cool it enough with the auto, engine oil cooler, condenser + water to air intercooler infront of the rad, i looked at what the SVR did and wanted to do the same as its just the best spot, but couldn't make it work.

Ended up with twin coolers on a subframe built by Les Richmond Automotive behind the bash plate with enough room for plate deformation, and twin spals.

Rad is fairly unobstructed now and works just to cool the engine water only.

Temps all around are always low now coupled with a few other things like bonnet scoop and side vents.

The twin lower coolers don't seem to get too muddy and fairly easy to wash if they do, however i really don't like them there, i wish they could be in exactly the same spot as the D5, but on an angle and bash guards.

Now assuming JLR are not messing with us with the pilot cooler vents, which i doubt they are.

Lets look at the D5 twin cooler location off-road suitability. See pics, approach angle with air is 34deg with 2 inch rods I'm guessing a few more degrees on that.

D5 put in offroad height and coolers are nice and high (see pics)

New Defender 45 deg approach, 50 deg depart (based on mule, alloy and grit angles)

Discovery 5 is 34 deg approach, 30 deg depart.

Nissan Y62 is 34.3deg approach, 26.2 depart.

Landcruiser 200 series is 30 deg approach, 20 depart.

When you look at the location of the coolers in offroad mode, I cant see a big problem, they are nice and high and with a good bar will be protected, ECB D5 bar has vents, but want to see a bar that removes the standard bumper.

Moving onto the new defender looking as though the approach angle is going to be an improvement again on the D5 and D5 is best in class, suffice to say it will be even more of a non issue and ensures it keeps its cool and all coolers to be cleaned.

ECB bull bars in Australia have already made a solution to protect it, however there are more in the works from ARB and Rhino 4x4.

The aftermarket will get behind the Defender and if the coolers are an issue they will make a bar to protect them and even possibly include a slight relocation Kit if needed.

Having said all that these coolers have been in these locations on modern Land Rovers since 2006 from memory and they all haven't been sucked into a black hole of troubles. Now if they didn't have air suspension like the G-Wagon it may be an issue, but LRs have air suspension and great approach angles and when they are in their highest mode they are tucked right up high out of the way.

Lucky 8 seem to have no issues with their D5 in the 2019 winter romp vid, they're running the standard D5 bumper with a discreet winch mount.

Looking at the picture below from of the Defender from American announcement video, the cooler opening actually looks a lot smaller than on the moab pilots, so I'm guessing the big vents in moab videos are intended to deceive.

For me I will still be wanting to protect them and we'll get a bullbar with a winch mount as soon as it becomes available, Kangaroos jump out at you when you least expect it in Australia I'm sure there are animals that do the same in the states and other areas. Most people that wheel their currant Defender get a winch bar of some kind, I can see a trend of bar work becoming less necessary in the future with discrete winch mounts and the like, how about people like myself and you will no doubt want additional protection and the after market will provide
6cc64e8434a2e9b099a9d4b3b48035d5.jpg
7e78ea136cb78865c36206f95d922d32.jpg
d317638ee605e834dec622cd91d9caea.jpg
8a04cd064fd405edf979885f8a2805e5.jpg
d3c0a7061c1334251e844f51b05979e1.jpg
06f671871169989d36447f622ae56e96.jpg
de2acbb1a9751fce508473f88555c321.jpg
cfbeaa679de14d6ed5b052e66ece140f.jpg
337cdfa80fa6ed09f42ba6f5136ac0ce.jpg
320c864960d1ed4902f2fc7d641e2eed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

99Discovery

Adventurer
The short wheelbase model is going to be the best. And it's the one I'm most impressed with. The 4-door ran along the camoflauged door sill on a relatively minor step. If they really did go on Golden Spike I doubt that one got through without sheet metal damage (now it could probably do Poison Spider with the right lines).

I also believe 35s will fit. I'm still not a fan of 35s on 20" rims. The profile is still 3" less than 35"s on a 17" rim. It's a big deal for the area I'm in and I won't apologize for Rover being stupid to mandate 20" and street tires on their halo off-road vehicle. "Hey! I'm so happy with how my Defender does on Pierellis and 50psi on a P-rated tire which will blow up at the first sign of a branch!" Just because they are 32"s stock (which is nice) is no excuse for a large wheel on an overland vehicle.

The Bronco mule is much nicer. What appears to be 32 KO2s on 17" or 18" rims. So far, Ford is showing us that they REALLY want to play in the dirt and it's not an after thought.

But that's my rant on that.

The 6" lift is intriguing. I'd be happy with lift rods only on the short wheelbase. The 4-door will probably need 6" because of the absurd wheelbase (same issue with the JLU, you need 37-40" rubber to do basic trails, when a TJ on 33"s was just fat-dumb-and happy). I wonder what the cost is? His webside says "contact us". And the red Range Rover Sport was put up for sale pretty much immediately after his first trip to Moab.....not a good sign. 6" lift sounds miserably too high for me. I run 2" lifts on most of my rigs.

I could get used to the radiators if they are high enough. The D5 for me is too low. There are plenty of trails in Utah which I would fear would destroy them. The only parts on my Tac-Rover Bumper on my D2 that are scraped are in the vicinity of those coolers and my Tac-Rover bumper is much higher profile than the coolers on the D5 and Defender. In other words......I'd have already been on trails that would most likely smash those coolers. And these are only 4 or 5 rated trails. A defender should be able to handle 7s without being scared of vital body damage.

I do agree the airflow is better though, so that's a trade-off. That's why I don't want a forced-inducted gas engine. I don't need the horsepower (I don't do sand), and I don't want the heat.

I love Rover Terrain response, but if this doesn't have the ability to lock all three diffs it's not as good as the G-wagon or Rubicon setup. Is that a dealbreaker for me? No.

I'm intrigued with the potential for the SWB model, but after seeing the LWB model in these twitter vids I"m not that high on it. But I'm not high on the D5 either. Too long of a wheelbase and crappy articulation make for a miserable off-road experience.

I do love your optimism @blackangie , If you are game and our schedules lineup, maybe we should get together on skype and discuss more of your counterpoints and I'll make another Defender video.. ;).

blackangie

The short wheelbase model is going to be the best. And it's the one I'm most impressed with. The 4-door ran along the camoflauged door sill on a relatively minor step. If they really did go on Golden Spike I doubt that one got through without sheet metal damage (now it could probably do Poison Spider with the right lines).

I also believe 35s will fit. I'm still not a fan of 35s on 20" rims. The profile is still 3" less than 35"s on a 17" rim. It's a big deal for the area I'm in and I won't apologize for Rover being stupid to mandate 20" and street tires on their halo off-road vehicle. "Hey! I'm so happy with how my Defender does on Pierellis and 50psi on a P-rated tire which will blow up at the first sign of a branch!" Just because they are 32"s stock (which is nice) is no excuse for a large wheel on an overland vehicle.

The Bronco mule is much nicer. What appears to be 32 KO2s on 17" or 18" rims. So far, Ford is showing us that they REALLY want to play in the dirt and it's not an after thought.

But that's my rant on that.

The 6" lift is intriguing. I'd be happy with lift rods only on the short wheelbase. The 4-door will probably need 6" because of the absurd wheelbase (same issue with the JLU, you need 37-40" rubber to do basic trails, when a TJ on 33"s was just fat-dumb-and happy). I wonder what the cost is? His webside says "contact us". And the red Range Rover Sport was put up for sale pretty much immediately after his first trip to Moab.....not a good sign. 6" lift sounds miserably too high for me. I run 2" lifts on most of my rigs.

I could get used to the radiators if they are high enough. The D5 for me is too low. There are plenty of trails in Utah which I would fear would destroy them. The only parts on my Tac-Rover Bumper on my D2 that are scraped are in the vicinity of those coolers and my Tac-Rover bumper is much higher profile than the coolers on the D5 and Defender. In other words......I'd have already been on trails that would most likely smash those coolers. And these are only 4 or 5 rated trails. A defender should be able to handle 7s without being scared of vital body damage.

I do agree the airflow is better though, so that's a trade-off. That's why I don't want a forced-inducted gas engine. I don't need the horsepower (I don't do sand), and I don't want the heat.

I love Rover Terrain response, but if this doesn't have the ability to lock all three diffs it's not as good as the G-wagon or Rubicon setup. Is that a dealbreaker for me? No.

I'm intrigued with the potential for the SWB model, but after seeing the LWB model in these twitter vids I"m not that high on it. But I'm not high on the D5 either. Too long of a wheelbase and crappy articulation make for a miserable off-road experience.

I do love your optimism @blackangie , If you are game and our schedules lineup, maybe we should get together on skype and discuss more of your counterpoints and I'll make another Defender video.. ;).
Some really good points there for sure but maybe just go back and have a quick look at the video again I believed the wheelbase he's actually a 2020 Range Rover Sport mule.

There is also a short wheelbase Range Rover Sport defender mule as well just to confuse things even more. (Might be coil version of defender)

If you look at other videos the height of the long-wheelbase is very high.

I'm with you with the lift size of 6 inch being too much for most people.

I would be happy with a 2 inch lift and 34s,
Or a 4 inch lift and 35s but looking at those videos maybe that's excessive.

I know he he is considering doing a 4 inch, just needs someone to put down the dollars.

The best thing about a subframe lift is the fact it leaves all the stock suspension working as it should.

Have you got a good video of golden spike so I know what you're talking about haha?

Feel free to p.m. me about the vid sounds interesting.

a1cf7471b21a91dbe7337d998038afe9.jpg
5989f45f12a715bc59e16c6428cd9906.jpg

99Discovery

Adventurer
No, Golden Spike is on my list to do a trail review of, but I'm going to be doing an easier trail in Moab this year. Just how the chips fall.

I'll see if I can find a good video. The primary obstacle is pretty famous, back in the day it was a lot tougher because you needed a mechanical locker to cross through the off-camber. It was severe enough (vids don't do it justice) that a limited slip rarely worked. In fact, my Grand Cherokee (without center diff lock) only spun 1 wheel. 1 wheel drive in 4-lo. It was incredible, I've never seen anything like it since.

A modern rover can get through it with terrain response (I was planning on crossing it with my D2 with just traction control), it's not as graceful (especially with independent suspension), but it's passable.

No, the big issues with Golden Spike now are before the famous obstacle and after it. But it's been awhile since I've been on it (I've heard the Gold Bar Rim portion is especially torn up).

Anyway, here is a video of the famous obstacle (and during the approach you can see why I'm concerned about radiators in front of tires):

Sorry, no vids of a Modern Rover, but I've heard LR3s can do it (but their owners say never again).

Here is me finally being pushed through with 3 spare tires in the crack in my 1-wheel drive Grand Cherokee. The torque on the unibody was so strong I couldn't close the hatch which I opened to drop my spare into the crack.

blackangie

No, Golden Spike is on my list to do a trail review of, but I'm going to be doing an easier trail in Moab this year. Just how the chips fall.

I'll see if I can find a good video. The primary obstacle is pretty famous, back in the day it was a lot tougher because you needed a mechanical locker to cross through the off-camber. It was severe enough (vids don't do it justice) that a limited slip rarely worked. In fact, my Grand Cherokee (without center diff lock) only spun 1 wheel. 1 wheel drive in 4-lo. It was incredible, I've never seen anything like it since.

A modern rover can get through it with terrain response (I was planning on crossing it with my D2 with just traction control), it's not as graceful (especially with independent suspension), but it's passable.

No, the big issues with Golden Spike now are before the famous obstacle and after it. But it's been awhile since I've been on it (I've heard the Gold Bar Rim portion is especially torn up).

Anyway, here is a video of the famous obstacle (and during the approach you can see why I'm concerned about radiators in front of tires):

Sorry, no vids of a Modern Rover, but I've heard LR3s can do it (but their owners say never again).

Here is me finally being pushed through with 3 spare tires in the crack in my 1-wheel drive Grand Cherokee. The torque on the unibody was so strong I couldn't close the hatch which I opened to drop my spare into the crack.

View attachment 510921
Niiice thanks yeah that spots famous, even us Aussie guys know it by sight, i doubt many would know by name though ha

Go the Classic!

blackangie

Convoy of defenders tow testing spotted and another moab shot.

Just noticed there are three different types of trailers the middle one is double axle I'm guessing they are all filled to simulate max towing capacity.

7d18031f434c879c5146fa1b0a3acb92.jpg
ac9e5a5ce72fe0fd11d716ffc034945a.jpg
81cf3848800e0d92c390de63c6ea102c.jpg

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
OK all, let's not get carried away with manufactured outcomes. Jeeps can be bought in lower capability levels, so can LR's. A good example is the 2014/15 LR4 that could be acquired without 2 range transfer case or HD axles. But it did have a nifty "traction control" dial! The low end D5 can be defeatured. I raise this point as the above discussion mentions a Jeep Grand Cherokee with open diffs spinning 1 wheel. Many years ago a friend and I had a soft spring Jeep J20 QuadraTrac. On one of the gulches along the Platte River (Metberry, Longwater, Northrup) we climbed a moguled broken down granite steep slope where people sat at the top watching vehicles attempt climbs. Four-low, light pedal, 440cu of torque ........... walked right up a football field length of hill. At the top someone said "Well that was boring".

Point is vehicles can be configured from low end to high end capabilities, to include Land Rover. Seems everyone now has some sort of dial in traction control and water fording capability. Those capabilities are increasingly become less of a differentiator. Land Rover needs to win on body configuration use cases and aftermarket support which they tend to not see.

Last edited:

rjl

Ryan
First: Rim size. Someone has mentioned they've been seen in "various profiles". Looking at the photos there is no room between the caliper and the rim on 20"s. I believe I've seen some shots of the Defender on 21"s, but if someone has shots of the mules running around on 18"s or 17"s please link to them. I doubt they fit, but I really want them too.

I think it's safe to assume the Defender probably has the same brake calipers as the D5, and the D5 can run 18" wheels. It remains to bee seen, however, whether the Defender comes from the factory with 18" wheels.

JackW

Explorer
The SVX version of the Discovery 5 had some strengthened and upgraded front suspension components that were said to be the Defender units in prototype form. Maybe that's what is going on here.

blackangie

OK all, let's not get carried away with manufactured outcomes. Jeeps can be bought in lower capability levels, so can LR's. A good example is the 2014/15 LR4 that could be acquired without 2 range transfer case or HD axles. But it did have a nifty "traction control" dial! The low end D5 can be defeatured. I raise this point as the above discussion mentions a Jeep Grand Cherokee with open diffs spinning 1 wheel. Many years ago a friend and I had a soft spring Jeep J20 QuadraTrac. On one of the gulches along the Platte River (Metberry, Longwater, Northrup) we climbed a moguled broken down granite steep slope where people sat at the top watching vehicles attempt climbs. Four-low, light pedal, 440cu of torque ........... walked right up a football field length of hill. At the top someone said "Well that was boring".

Point is vehicles can be configured from low end to high end capabilities, to include Land Rover. Seems everyone now has some sort of dial in traction control and water fording capability. Those capabilities are increasingly become less of a differentiator. Land Rover needs to win on body configuration use cases and aftermarket support which they tend to not see.
Some great comments, regarding wading, nobody comes close to LR's 900mm last time i checked.

LR' other main differentiator is it long travel air susp, it really is the main reason its great on/off/towing/load carrying.

Agree though they do need to embrace the aftermarket.

Good thing is the aftermarket will embrace the defender no doubt no mater what.

blackangie

I think it's safe to assume the Defender probably has the same brake calipers as the D5, and the D5 can run 18" wheels. It remains to bee seen, however, whether the Defender comes from the factory with 18" wheels.
Agreed, looks like on nurburgring different calipers so maybe a few options

DieselRanger

Good thing is the aftermarket will embrace the defender no doubt no mater what.

I think it's already happening - the Lucky 8 guys posted some cryptic stuff a while back on their Instagram page with some otherwise-unpublished shots of a Defender in camo in front of what looked like a garage setup somewhere. Would behoove LR to give some early access to the aftermarket for measuring for accessories and maybe to test-fit things like rock/roo bars...

99Discovery

Adventurer
That is awesome if Rover is working with Lucky 8. That is definitely a sign of self-awareness for the aftermarket......something that they've ignored and in some ways made extremely difficult with their current product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior