2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmann

Best Overland vehicle is the most reliable vehicle, field repairable, parts available, a vehicle that every small town mechanic can work on it,

What you are not seeing yet is that the new systems will be able to see failure symptoms in advance, use the new global satellite systems being set up in space, and pretty much have Amazon send a drone with the needed parts/tools in no time. It's not the Jestsons yet, but it's not really that far off either! ?

Thorsten

Jalopnik said:
What I saw didn’t appear to be an SUV built on a special off-road platform, but rather a machine quite similar to other vehicles in the Land Rover lineup.

Was about to post this myself, @REDROVER . Probably the best recent LR for adventures by a good margin, but they should have made it the new Discovery. Under the skin, that's really what its DNA is.

treckin

I have the to agree with the “should have been the D5” argument, because I am actually optimistic about this particular vehicle now but I don’t think they should have moved the Defender branding to independent suspension.

In my mind this was a marketing/product team fail as they now lost the ability to do a new solid axle bush vehicle under the Defender branding that would have sold like crazy and not cannibalized sales from the independent suspension Discovery lineup.

There’s a place at Land Rover for both platforms, not sure why they merged them, essentially.

Even if they couldn’t afford to maintain both lineups, they could have reserved the Defender branding for another solid axle vehicle.

I’m interested in it, regardless of the badging.

I'll say it again; when someone shows me a petrol LR getting more than 12mpg at full gross weight on a trail (AVERAGE) I'll believe it. Until then, the only way this 4 banger Petrol Defender becomes somewhat legit for purchase/range is maybe in the lighter D90; assuming the gas tank is the same size from 90/110.

Nobody is arguing the fact that petrol engines are making as much low/mid/high end torque peaks; the problem is, those high HP petrol engines are doing it at a much less efficient manner than diesels when it comes to fuel consumption.

Love the Defender; hate the fact that its range is garbage and WILL require extra fuel on board in some fashion in ANY austere environment. The only possible way to change this design flaw is by offering a much more efficient diesel option or auxiliary tank.

I will admit, just about every NAS spec vehicle is suffering the same problem; Toyota, Jeep, Ford! Just saying, JLR had the chance to stretch the legs on this think as the "Explorer" badge says and they missed the mark completely. Honestly, the hybrid version will be the best bet for the future with electric power at low end with dynamic braking recharge; yeah, I said it!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Wow that's a really good article. I must admit I am a bit disappointed. I did not expect it to be that close to the Discovery. It makes the $80k price tag a bit harder to swallow.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

The modern gas engines are starting to best the diesels in low rpm torque. Especially with the Ford hybrid system. Cryst the new plugin Aviator is just shy of 500Hp and 600ft lb of torque! Thats crazy!!

Were talking ftlb numbers in the 1ton Pickup zone just a few yrs ago and HP numbers that were all the rage between the muscle cars. I like diesel I really do but jeezusss the power and torque capability of these new transmissions and hybrids is going to be a game changer. Granted its complicated and very expensive!!! But holly hell can you imagine this 110 with 490hp and 600ft lb of torque?
True, and unfortunately our intellectual superiors in the Democratic People's Republic of California are on a mission to ban diesels from our roads, so I guess we're going to have to accept mild hybrids and KERS to get the performance we used to get from a diesel. But at least we will be used to the fuel prices because they all run on premium fuel....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

DieselRanger

It’s basically a discovery with different body, even though Land Rover says it’s not,
Nothing wrong with that, old defender had pretty much same parts as discovery.

No, they quite clearly state it's built on the same platform as the Disco. The electronic systems have been updated, and the monocoque is significantly stiffer, and the interior is completely different, and it looks different and comes with different options and can take larger tires and can do better off-road right off the lot, but yes, it's basically the same thing. Such is the way of things in world auto platforms these days.

The Disco was always more of an all-around daily driver that can overland when you want to, and go on 90% of the roads in the world. Still is. The Defender was always the technical off-roader that could be your expedition vehicle or weekend warrior trail basher. Still is. Except now it's much, much nicer to drive, safer, and more durable than the old Defender, and it's more capable off the lot than the old Defender.

I wonder if that fibrous belly panel stuff is for the Urban Version only; LR can't be that off kilter to use that as primary protection so I'm saying it is for the show vehicles or Urban version. Aftermarket will make the right stuff anyway but would be nice to at least have steel under there as OEM for cheap out of the box and if we want lighter, we pay for it. But to offer no underbody protection; that can't be right!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
True, and unfortunately our intellectual superiors in the Democratic People's Republic of California are on a mission to ban diesels from our roads, so I guess we're going to have to accept mild hybrids and KERS to get the performance we used to get from a diesel. But at least we will be used to the fuel prices because they all run on premium fuel....

Well if premium fuel cost is a worry then Rover anything isn’t in the budget. LOL

DieselRanger

I wonder if that fibrous belly panel stuff is for the Urban Version only; LR can't be that off kilter to use that as primary protection so I'm saying it is for the show vehicles or Urban version. Aftermarket will make the right stuff anyway but would be nice to at least have steel under there as OEM for cheap out of the box and if we want lighter, we pay for it. But to offer no underbody protection; that can't be right!
Keep in mind that Land Rover must get the vehicles certified for fuel economy and emissions. Metal belly pans are heavy, which reduces fuel economy. Also, metal bellies are loud and ringy as highway noise and associated road imperfections pass under the vehicle...NVH is a significant perception issue for many drivers. If it costs $75k and sounds like a $25k used Jeep, auto journalists will complain and then buyers will feel like they're not getting their money's worth.

As noted, a front skid plate is offered as an option, but that's not how they will certify them, nor how potential buyers will test drive them.

The aftermarket will respond as Lucky8 has with trail armor, and it's also difficult to see what's under those plastic/fiber belly pans, so there may be more protection for critical bits there.

My D5 has a fairly thick aluminum skid plate past the downpipe...I didn't order it that way, it just came that way. Maybe I got a freebie...it's taken a few hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles