2020 Bronco estimated Approach and Departure Angles

99Discovery

Adventurer
So I've been watching the slow "unveiling" of the Bronco with much hope and anticipation that it would have some off road capability. In fact, I would have been stoked if Ford just released the Everest alongside the Ranger and called it good....but making a boxy Bronco is just icing on the cake.

Anyway, all we have officially is the "sheet teaser" photo that Ford released. Not much to go on, save to get everyone excited that it is supposedly going to have a boxy shape.

I decided to throw that photo into some CAD software and extrapolate some dimensions using the stock Wrangler Rubicon JK 32" tire size......if that tire size is correct, the approach/departure/wheelbase are anywhere near accurate, the Bronco is going to slot nicely between the 2Door JL Wrangler and the 5th Generation 4Runner. Kind of the 2nd Generation FJ Cruiser many had hoped would be released.

Anyway, here is the video of how I scaled it, as well as comparing those numbers to contemporary and some historical rigs:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Having seen the new bronco, I think a lot of people will be really happy about it’s release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99Discovery

Adventurer
Having seen the new bronco, I think a lot of people will be really happy about it’s release.

You've seen it? I'm assuming you work for Ford? Is the teaser sheet accurate of the shape? Or are you not even allowed (most likely NDA) to discuss that?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If the new Bronco is indeed a 2 door Jeep-sized vehicle then it seems likely to me it will be a one-off, very limited production design whose primary purpose is to attract attention to the company so they can sell more of their regular trucks and SUVs (sort of like the limited release of the "new" Thunderbird in the early 2000's. )

And if they are limited in both numbers and duration (maybe only made for 1 or 2 model years) then there's zero chance of any aftermarket developing for them. The few examples will be sold way above MSRP to people who will use them as status symbols, nothing more.

I know many here disagree with me but I remain unconvinced that there will ever be a viable competitor to the Wrangler. It's just not enough of a market for a big company like Ford to go after. It would cost them hundreds of millions and the returns on that investment would be both minimal and speculative. Basically they would be betting that there is a huge demand out there for small, cramped, rough-riding 2 door SUVs, and I just don't see that.

When all is said and done, most people need a vehicle to haul their butts to and from work, to the grocery store, and to take the kids to soccer practice and violin lessons and the dog to the park. If it has off-road capability, that's great and people will find it desirable, as they do with the 4runner, the Tacoma and the other 4 door pickups available on the market. But it still has to do the mundane drive-to-work and soccer-mom duty as well.

2 door Jeep like SUVs are too specialized for that kind of duty and that's why their appeal is limited to a small number of enthusiasts who are willing to put up with the limitations of such a vehicle. There is a reason that every other 2 door Jeep-like SUV has disappeared from the market over the past 25 years.

jadmt

ignore button user
I think People hoping for a Wrangler competitor will be disappointed. Me included.

Trophycummins

Adventurer

You've seen it? I'm assuming you work for Ford? Is the teaser sheet accurate of the shape? Or are you not even allowed (most likely NDA) to discuss that?

I work for ford in a sense, but not directly. With that said, there are those who do not work for ford that have seen it.

We can’t discuss anything.

Yeah a little backstory, just so we know you aren't full of it.

I work for someone who is a Ford influencer. You can try to figure out who that person is if you look through my build threads.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Also, regarding it being a wrangler competitor: it may not be initially, but it will be eventually. You’ll see what I mean by that at release.

99Discovery

Adventurer
MartinJmpr,

You can still have a 4-door SUV that seats 5 comfortably and a wheelbase in the 100" range. Granted, the sheet 'teaser' by Ford appears to be a 2-door, but you could still fit 4-doors on a 100" wheelbase and be a boxy design.

I'd be ok with that.

I actually LOVE the 2-door JL, but the 4-door is waaaay too big. My next Overlander will probably be a 4Runner because of this. But if Ford can fit my family of five in <108" wheelbase, that would be something we haven't seen since the XJ Cherokee and Land Rover Discovery days...

jadmt

ignore button user
Also, regarding it being a wrangler competitor: it may not be initially, but it will be eventually. You’ll see what I mean by that at release.

I hope so, but my Ford source said it was going to be big. I said big like a hit he said no physically big. I hope he's wrong.

motoboss

Bad Influence
I see it as a modren version, Cherokee sized suv. With that goal I think it would be well received. I mean the Cherokee is still a sought after family, soccer mom trail rig and a modern diesel model would be awesome.

VroomSIX

Honestly, I think Ford knows how important the Bronco brand is. They see the huge explosion in the vintage 4x4 scene and how the Bronco is revered just like the FJ40 and CJ/Wrangler. This really goes in line with their new corporate strategy of going all in on SUV's and Crossovers. Though a Raptor is already considered a Halo model, it's a bit too extreme for some and not very approachable for the regular consumer as it's a specialized product. Though the Bronco won't be mass market, it'll have a much bigger pool of potential customers than a Raptor (ie, 4-Runner, Discovery, Cherokee, Explorer, etc.)

If they don't mess with the formula too bad, it'll be a runaway hit.

My predictions:

-ECOboost 4-cyl as base engine (260ish hp)
-2.7TT V6 ECOboost as optional motor (340ish hp)
-Low-Range Gearbox
-Automatics trans Only
-Switchable partime to full time AWD
-Factory Lockers
-Built in Tow points front and rear
-Already designed with future customization in mind.
-Robust charging system with integrated upfitter switches

Am I pretty close TrophyCummins? :sneaky:

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Honestly, I think Ford knows how important the Bronco brand is. They see the huge explosion in the vintage 4x4 scene and how the Bronco is revered just like the FJ40 and CJ/Wrangler. This really goes in line with their new corporate strategy of going all in on SUV's and Crossovers. Though a Raptor is already considered a Halo model, it's a bit too extreme for some and not very approachable for the regular consumer as it's a specialized product. Though the Bronco won't be mass market, it'll have a much bigger pool of potential customers than a Raptor (ie, 4-Runner, Discovery, Cherokee, Explorer, etc.)

If they don't mess with the formula too bad, it'll be a runaway hit.

My predictions:

-ECOboost 4-cyl as base engine (260ish hp)
-2.7TT V6 ECOboost as optional motor (340ish hp)
-Low-Range Gearbox
-Automatics trans Only
-Switchable partime to full time AWD
-Factory Lockers
-Built in Tow points front and rear
-Already designed with future customization in mind.
-Robust charging system with integrated upfitter switches

Am I pretty close TrophyCummins? :sneaky:

My own theory: one engine option.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Trophycummins, you throw everybody off with the screen name. You are still in a Ford?

Currently in all sorts of vehicles.

I have my 17F150 with front/rear long travel
95 bronco which is currently getting long travel and caged.

Currently working on an m1101 trailer and looking for an ambo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94