2019 Tundra

phsycle

Adventurer
Owning a ford and a bunch of Toyota’s... the fit and finish on the Ford is better... and ford hasn’t had to recall frames yet.. but I’d also argue that no mfg builds their vehicle to average 500k miles... they don’t need to.

I don't think the fit and finish is better with the Ford, but there isn't much difference. They both have their little quirks, but both seem of good quality. Even longevity, there are probably just as many F-series reaching 1M miles as Tundra's.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I don't think the fit and finish is better with the Ford, but there isn't much difference. They both have their little quirks, but both seem of good quality. Even longevity, there are probably just as many F-series reaching 1M miles as Tundra's.

Agreed. I think nowadays everyone builds a pretty good truck. Buy whichever truck you prefer for whichever reason you prefer it....

Clutch

<---Pass
Owning a ford and a bunch of Toyota’s... the fit and finish on the Ford is better.

It is all about perspective. Ya know.

One of my buddy's owns an electrical contracting business. Company trucks are the new aluminum bodied Fords, and his personal ride is a Tundra...he thinks the the Tundra is the better built truck. Only reason he runs Fords for his business is because Toyota doesn't make a 1 ton.

but I’d also argue that no mfg builds their vehicle to average 500k miles... they don’t need to.

I know, Toyota builds them to go a Million... :p

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
i have had three fords. all of them consistently had issues. we use f150s at work and they are falling apart at 150k. i've had 10 toyotas that were regular daily drivers (i've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 30, but these were hop in and go to work/school/store/family/etc rigs). one was on par with the piss poor quality of the ford. the outdated electronics doesn't' bother me too much as i don't understand how to use most of the crap anyways. i have gotten pampered with power windows and power locks through the decades, but i don't miss having seat heaters, rear dvd players and 20 different satellite radio systems. i'll stick with toyota.

Dalko43

Explorer
What's funny about Ford is that brand has the biggest consumer base (based on the sales #'s) and arguably some of the most loyal fans who will defend the "Built Ford Tough" theme tooth-and-nail.

And yet the only 2 trucks, that I can recall anyways, which had catastrophic failures (meaning they stopped functioning properly) on TFL tests were Fords: one was a F-150 with the new v6 diesel; the other was a F-250, with a gasoline engine I believe.

Now, do those two examples lead me to think all Ford's are unreliable POS' vehicles? No. It could have just been luck of the draw. But it is ironic that those two trucks failed given how hyped up and popular the brand is within the North American market.

All 3 of the domestic truck companies have come a long way in terms of build quality since the early 2000's. All leave a little to be desired. Maybe even the venerable Toyota brand does too in some cases; I think the Tacoma's new 3.5l v6 (besides being an inadequate truck engine) is known to smoke while going up steel inclines....I'm not sure if Toyota NA has given a clear explanation for that yet.

Every vehicle and every brand has its quirks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've owned plenty of Ford's and plenty of Jeeps and Toyota's. I've consistently had far more issues with the Jeeps than either of the others. The Toyotas are without a doubt the most reliable and dependable of the bunch but they have their glaring issues as well. Those include awful infotainment systems, bland interiors, long in the tooth designs, underpowered drive trains, terrible fuel economy and small fuel tanks. To some the long held designs can be seen as a good thing as well as the uninspired interiors and I personally prefer the lack luster fuel economy over a unreliable engine and drive train.

In regards to the Ford's being crap, I laugh at that statement. I have owned four SuperDuty's, two F-150's (one was a Raptor) along with a few Mustang's (Roush, Cobra, and GT500) and one Explorer (ok that one was crap). All of those vehicles were great, they were reliable, powerful, and always had top of the line (at the time) amenities/options. Aside from the 1995 Explorer, the only issue I ever had with any of those was a broken sunroof that was covered under warranty.

I will agree that the Toyota usually has better resale and will likely hold up better in time (small parts/interior/etc.) but they are in no way better vehicles in every regard. Toyota desperately needs to update their infotainment system as well as their premium stereo option. Their paint is thin and chips easily and the sheet metal is thin and creases/dents/dings rather easily as well. In regards to the Tundra, well it would be my third place 1/2-ton pick at this moment ahead of the GM offerings and the awful Nissan. I have no real use for a half-ton so the Tundra is of no interest to me personally, but I hope that they do a major update to it in the coming years because it is long overdue.

jadmt

ignore button user
I just test drove a 2019 Tundra limited and while it was nice it did not make me want to buy it. It was well equipped and after rebates and what not ~$40,000 which seemed like a decent price but visually the F150's look 10X better to me.

Dalko43

Explorer
I've owned plenty of Ford's and plenty of Jeeps and Toyota's. I've consistently had far more issues with the Jeeps than either of the others. The Toyotas are without a doubt the most reliable and dependable of the bunch but they have their glaring issues as well. Those include awful infotainment systems, bland interiors, long in the tooth designs, underpowered drive trains, terrible fuel economy and small fuel tanks. To some the long held designs can be seen as a good thing as well as the uninspired interiors and I personally prefer the lack luster fuel economy over a unreliable engine and drive train.

In regards to the Ford's being crap, I laugh at that statement. I have owned four SuperDuty's, two F-150's (one was a Raptor) along with a few Mustang's (Roush, Cobra, and GT500) and one Explorer (ok that one was crap). All of those vehicles were great, they were reliable, powerful, and always had top of the line (at the time) amenities/options. Aside from the 1995 Explorer, the only issue I ever had with any of those was a broken sunroof that was covered under warranty.

I will agree that the Toyota usually has better resale and will likely hold up better in time (small parts/interior/etc.) but they are in no way better vehicles in every regard. Toyota desperately needs to update their infotainment system as well as their premium stereo option. Their paint is thin and chips easily and the sheet metal is thin and creases/dents/dings rather easily as well. In regards to the Tundra, well it would be my third place 1/2-ton pick at this moment ahead of the GM offerings and the awful Nissan. I have no real use for a half-ton so the Tundra is of no interest to me personally, but I hope that they do a major update to it in the coming years because it is long overdue.

Just for the record: I didn't say Fords were "crap" trucks.

With regards to Toyota's shortcomings: I mostly agree. The designs are dated and somewhat inefficient compared to the competition. The 1GR-FE v6 4runner is running with an old engine design, and the platform itself has seen very little change in the last 10 years. With that said, the overall design (engine and chassis) is arguably the most reliable BOF midsized SUV out there (yes, even in comparison to the Jeep)....which is why that vehicle sells like hotcakes despite its old powertrain combination.

Same thing for the Tundra: everyone rails on that design being old, which it is. But it's also arguably one of the most robust and reliable 1/2 tons on the market. Despite the fact that other OEM's claim higher towing and payload numbers, the Tundra still has the biggest front brakes (maybe that has changed with the new Ram 1500 and Gm Silverado), the biggest rear differential, and the lowest gearing (4.30's). Most of the trim levels lack a front air dam (which is a trick most other OEM's use to enhance efficiency, to the detriment of offroad worthiness). So yeah, the Tundra is a hog on fuel, but the counter-argument is that Toyota made very few compromises to the vehicle's towing and 4x4 capabilities...they focused on reliability and robustness instead of high mpg #'s, unlike other OEM's.

The dated infotainment systems don't really bother me. So long as it works, that's all I care about. I honestly think its stupid to put too much money into vehicle infotainment, as they're outdated after only a few years and most people prefer to use mobile devices for music and navigation anyways.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I find it a little funny that people are always going on about "they don't make them like the used to", and when Toyota comes along as says here you go, here's a reliable 1/2 ton truck that has a proven pedigree and just continues to work, and function reliably without any major changes for a decade or more.... people completely lose their stuff and complain that Toyota needs to get with the game because they don't have fans in the seats, or 47 heated and cooled cup holders, or change the design of their front bumper every two years, or throw out mileage numbers that mean squat when us "explorer's" throw large tires, and 1500 pounds of junk on our trucks and drive around on dirt roads in 4x4 all day long.
I narrowed my truck choices down to 2, the Tundra and the Power Wagon. I wanted a gas truck, have no interest in diesel whatsoever. I looked at the Power Wagon, because honestly it ticked off all the off-road boxes with it's standard equipment. But I went with the Tundra for it's pedigree and proven long-term reliability. Now I realize everyone has their anecdotal "yeah, well my Dodge truk if 250 years old and still running" or "yeah well, my Toyota Camry's Bluetooth doesn't connect me to Facebook properly 110% of the time".
Here's my anecdotal story, I bought a 2015 Dodge Caravan with 100K kilometers on it for a work van. At 105K Km it crapped it's motor and cooling system on me....for which I had to pay to repair at a tune of $5K. No warranty, no nothing.....just me out of pocket. That there, ruined any thought I may have had of purchasing any Chrysler product...ever again.

So I'll stick with my antiquated 2014 Tundra, keep on putting thousands of miles on it exploring this great continent of ours, and leave the folks who demand for the latest and greatest audio system in a truck to argue over who's touchscreen is larger.

Clutch

<---Pass
What feels dated on the Tundra? The interior between it and the current F150 are fairly similar. I am not much into electronic gizmos...so maybe I am missing something. And the rest of the trucks are nearly the same chassis-wise. Other than the Ford having Turbos and a 10 speed trans. Which...do we really need a 10 speed trans in a 1/2 ton truck??? Have a 4 speed in our SUV and that is more than enough, imo.

These are both 2018's.

2018_ford_f_150_dashboard.jpg

2018_toyota_tundra_dashboard.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Here's my anecdotal story, I bought a 2015 Dodge Caravan with 100K kilometers on it for a work van. At 105K Km it crapped it's motor and cooling system on me....for which I had to pay to repair at a tune of $5K. No warranty, no nothing.....just me out of pocket. That there, ruined any thought I may have had of purchasing any Chrysler product...ever again.

So I'll stick with my antiquated 2014 Tundra, keep on putting thousands of miles on it exploring this great continent of ours, and leave the folks who demand for the latest and greatest audio system in a truck to argue over who's touchscreen is larger.

Certain FCA vehicles have a decent reputation for being robust. Jeep's and Ram HD's are generally well-built, but even those 4x4's have issues with build quality. The problem is that the brand overall has had poor reliability and build quality....it's better than it was 10 years ago, but it's still not in league with some of the competition.

Probably a similar argument to be made for GM, maybe even Ford. GM and Ford talk about how they're done with building cars (which is partly a matter of semantics, as most modern "SUV's" are nothing more than slightly lifted cars). But the thing is there is still a demand for low-cost, but efficient and reliable commuter sedans....but people seem to prefer a Toyota, Honda or Subaru over a GM or Ford. I think the domestic OEM's have made some progress in terms of build quality and reliability, but they still have a lot of ground to cover in order to catch up with the more reliable brands.

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
What feels dated on the Tundra? The interior between it and the current F150 are fairly similar. I am not much into electronic gizmos...so maybe I am missing something. And the rest of the trucks are nearly the same chassis-wise. Other than the Ford having Turbos and a 10 speed trans. Which...do we really need a 10 speed trans in a 1/2 ton truck??? Have a 4 speed in our SUV and that is more than enough, imo.

These are both 2018's.

View attachment 488234

View attachment 488235

Having owned a '15 Tundra (and 08, 11 crewmax's as well)… and a 16 F350...

Entune is horrible. No other way to say it. It's HORRIBLE.
Toyota nixed the transmission temp guage in '14.
Toyota nixed reclining rear seats in... ~12?... I think. Ford doesn't have it either, but at least ford has behind rear seat storage.
Ford has had integrated brake controllers for a decade+.
IMHO, the tow/haul mode on the Tundra is useless when towing 7k#... I (and a buddy) always manually shift to stay in 5 and not end up with gear searching between 5 and 6
The in-dash information screen in the Tundra is essentially useless and old. And doesn't even control the odometer
The center console organizer is a $60 "Toyota parts department only" add-on to a $50k truck.
IIRC, Toyota is the only vendor who requires a person spend extra for any sort of "step" into the box (IIRC, $300 for a bolt on fold-away step)

F350 complaints...
I much prefer the floor shifter on the Tundra.. available on the 150; I get that.
Rear seat isn't as large as tundra...
Tow/haul mode downshifts too easy, IMHO, and can cause high exhaust pressure when in a long downhill (or using the engine brake in combo).
I do prefer the way the Toyota transmission shifts
I like the concept of movable pedals, but the Ford doesn't move enough
doesn't have the super usable "cell phone holder" built into the center console like the Tundra
I hate the alignment of the box to cab - it looks funny in the rear view
REALLY miss the soft open tailgate of the Tundra

I realize this is apples and oranges. If Toyota had invested in the Tundra the way Ford, GM, RAM and even Nissan have been investing, i'd likely be in a different place. Currently, I find myself looking at F350 DRW trucks. Do I need one? Nope. But given that I have the Tacoma/4runner for DD, would a dually come in handy from time to time? Yup.

And since I'm in the complaining mode... anyone have a good recipe for getting skunk off of a dog's skin? /damn dog.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I agree that no manufacturer deliberately builds their vehicles (at least their non-commercial ones) for the 500k mile mark.....

I’d argue that Toyota knows how and does make a SUV with that kind of mileage target. It’s called the Land Cruiser, but at least in the US, people don’t want to pay the price that it takes to get a vehicle built for that kind of duty cycle.

I guess you could argue the same for Ford with their commercial class super duties, but again it’s really about the price target people want to pay in the non commercial retail market. Value engineering at its finest.

Clutch

<---Pass
Having owned a '15 Tundra (and 08, 11 crewmax's as well)… and a 16 F350...

Entune is horrible. No other way to say it. It's HORRIBLE.
Toyota nixed the transmission temp guage in '14.
Toyota nixed reclining rear seats in... ~12?... I think. Ford doesn't have it either, but at least ford has behind rear seat storage.
Ford has had integrated brake controllers for a decade+.
IMHO, the tow/haul mode on the Tundra is useless when towing 7k#... I (and a buddy) always manually shift to stay in 5 and not end up with gear searching between 5 and 6
The in-dash information screen in the Tundra is essentially useless and old. And doesn't even control the odometer
The center console organizer is a $60 "Toyota parts department only" add-on to a $50k truck.

F350 complaints...
I much prefer the floor shifter on the Tundra.. available on the 150; I get that.
Rear seat isn't as large as tundra...
Tow/haul mode downshifts too easy, IMHO, and can cause high exhaust pressure when in a long downhill (or using the engine brake in combo).
I do prefer the way the Toyota transmission shifts
I like the concept of movable pedals, but the Ford doesn't move enough
doesn't have the super usable "cell phone holder" built into the center console like the Tundra

I realize this is apples and oranges. If Toyota had invested in the Tundra the way Ford, GM, RAM and even Nissan have been investing, i'd likely be in a different place. Currently, I find myself looking at F350 DRW trucks. Do I need one? Nope. But given that I have the Tacoma/4runner for DD, would a dually come in handy from time to time? Yup.

And since I'm in the complaining mode... anyone have a good recipe for getting skunk off of a dog's skin? /damn dog.

Thanks...so just little nit-picky things then. All of that tranny stuff would go away if they threw in a manny trans...which I hate auto trans for towing. That 26' bobtail we rented for the move had a big ol' CAT diesel in it...and was wishing for a manny. The auto was horrid. You could over-ride it to an extent, but it didn't like it. Stay in fricken 3rd for this climb damnit! It wouldn't...

There are times I want a bigger truck, then my wife says to me...you know you'll just get pissed that you can't fit it back in where you like to camp. Yes dear...I know...

Not sure why Toyota doesn't invest more into it, maybe they feel they don't have to. Seems like they sell enough to keep loyal Toyota people happy. As it seems most of us long term Toyota fans, say the same thing...go look at other offerings and say to ourslves, it is nice, but it isn't a Toyota. I like the Fords...but not sure if I could buy one for that very reasoning.

Skunk out of a dog...ummm yeah good luck with that! The tomato juice thing is BS...

Try this: https://newengland.com/today/living/home-remedies/skunk-odor-removal/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles