2019 Rim Rocker Colorado to Moab Misadventure - Trip Report

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks for the write-up, looks like a great trip. I love the older KLR's, they are much better looking bikes than the 2008+ models. We were in Ridgeway, CO the third week of July last year after coming off of the Million Dollar Highway which we dropped onto after Ophir Pass down into Telluride. We ate at a little Taco bar called Gnar, pretty decent stuff for tacos not in Texas or southern California haha.

I have to admit, I am kind of bummed that you didn't include any pics of those chemically enhanced flirty ladies you joined up with haha. What are your plans for this years ride?

Sounds like you had an excellent adventure aswell! Very pretty area you explored.

Probably should’ve taken that group photo but, their smiles may not have been so great.....The really funny part about the whole interaction with them was when we first pulled into town we stopped in a co-op parking lot. We’re a little tired and trying to get our bearings and I asked if they knew where a gas station was. One hops out of their vehicle and proceeds to explain how to get to a truckstop 90 miles away! She’s up close, petting and being very friendly until her boyfriend/cousin/brother rolls up and she runs off. It’s at that moment we realize right there in the co-op parking lot is some gas pumps! What the heck was she doing sending us 90 miles away!

As for this years adventure we’re looking at doing the RimRocker from the Colorado line to Moab again to explore a little more and actually finish it minus Peale Pass! There is fascinating mining history and structures along the RR that would be very interesting to explore. But, doing a different dirt roads/mountain pass route on the Colorado side. Still camping every night. Once a tentative route is developed I’ll post it.

Of course due to the current C19 situation and economy everything will be up in the air. Also, just life interruptions happen. Last year we had 8 guys going but by the time of the trip came around it was KB and I. Heck a couple guys even bought new bikes to go and 1 guy went through riding school! But, life, wife, girlfriends, kids, jobs, health, Murphy, time and distance showed up and changed plans for them. Hope they can go this year but, we’ll see.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's how it always works. Anytime I plan a group event centered around motorcycles, 4WD, hunting, fishing, etc. I can almost guarantee that 50-70% of those initially in won't make it by go time.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for updates to this years trip, if I have enough of a heads up and it works out with my schedule I just might roll out from Texas and join y'all.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Thanks for the link to your report. Nice job and great photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
RR 2.0-

Currently prepping for a 7 day riding/camping trip along the RimRocker with Ace Brown‘s ROF group. Ill be heading out May 31 and getting home sometime around June 7.

Doing all the usual prep, but having to pack 7 days worth of food on the bike has cause me to redesign my moto camp kitchen. I’ll be the only bike with several 4wd‘s so it’s important for me to carry my own gear and we should be out of reach of any services for up to 2 days.

Here‘s my current reconfigured kit. It has my stove, cutting boards, plate, fry pan, towel, cleaning supplies, spices, utensils and my bar. It folds up nicely and fits in my tail bag. Now onto the clothes.

D7391F45-2CE8-4E8D-8BC2-F1C2C512E489.jpeg270306F8-0125-466B-9C6F-40E8AE84473D.jpeg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
RR 2.0-

Currently prepping for a 7 day riding/camping trip along the RimRocker with Ace Brown‘s ROF group. Ill be heading out May 31 and getting home sometime around June 7.

Doing all the usual prep, but having to pack 7 days worth of food on the bike has cause me to redesign my moto camp kitchen. I’ll be the only bike with several 4wd‘s so it’s important for me to carry my own gear and we should be out of reach of any services for up to 2 days.

Here‘s my current reconfigured kit. It has my stove, cutting boards, plate, fry pan, towel, cleaning supplies, spices, utensils and my bar. It folds up nicely and fits in my tail bag. Now onto the clothes.

View attachment 588193View attachment 588194

Don’t forget that we can carry some of your heavier gear to make the riding easier. I do like those bags. I’ll need to get a closer look during the trip.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
RR 2.0-

View attachment 588193View attachment 588194

Who makes that bag? I thought it was Blue Ridge Overland but that doesn't appear to be what the label reads. Looking forward to the trip report.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Don’t forget that we can carry some of your heavier gear to make the riding easier. I do like those bags. I’ll need to get a closer look during the trip.

Thanks Ace! I hope I won’t need it, But thanks for the kind offer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles