2019 Ranger 5G Crew Cab

Purchased a new Ranger late 2019 and have been slowly building out my vehicle to do some off grid exploration or overlanding. The list of currently completed mods:

Leer 100r Cap
Smittybilt RTT
Shrockworks Sliders
CVT Awning
Ford Ranger Lifts 2.5" Level
Rigid Lights - A Pillar
Lightforce Switch Fascia
Cheap Fridge (Ausranvik)
12v Anderson Powerpoint in Bed
Plywood Floor in Bed to Secure Cargo to secure equipment

I will add some posts with Pics to see the change in appearance over time.
So I will start with what it looked like when I bought it.
20191230_151547 cropped.jpg20191230_151554 cropped.jpg

After getting the truck the first purchases I made were for a 2.5 inch level and a pillar mounts. Don't have pics of those installs but shortly after that I installed a pair if rigid lights to as well to complete those 2 projects. The level and a pillar mounts are from fordrangerlifts. To add the switches I used a lightforce fascia. Once installed it looks like it was from the factory. Love the fascia.
20200201_142055 cropped.jpg

Next was the Leer Cap. I needed a way that I could haul my gear, my dog, and my kids so I went with a cap. My F150 had a similar setup but I learned from my mistakes of old. This time I picked up a cap with their windoors so I can access my camping gear from the side of the truck. The Fridge is accessible as well which is great. No longer need to pull the fridge out to access my yummy cold treats.
20200128_103702 cropped.jpg20200128_103720 cropped.jpg

So now that I have the cap installed, I can make the move from my last truck. Time to move the awning and the RTT over to the top of the of the cap and get the living quarters established. The install went really easy since it was a straight move over from a setup that was almost identical. The RTT is much easier to get into now that it is on top if the Ranger vs being on top of the F150. Love this setup more every day. This is coming together just like I want.

20200222_121142 cropped.jpg

Alright, quickly getting through all of my mods to date. One of the cool things about this ranger was they wired points into the truck that have power and all we need is a harness to have 12v in the rear. I ordered a harness, clipped the end off and wired on an anderson plug. this gave me a way to power my fridge and not have to worry about the cigarette adapter falling out. I added a couple of d rings to the plywood deck and now have the ability to secure the fridge in the rear of the truck.
20200222_132324 cropped.jpg20200307_124848 cropped.jpg

Latest install was a set of shrockworks sliders. Install was easier than I expected. Used some jack stands to hold the sliders while I moved them into position so I was able to complete the install without anyone holding them for me. Tool about an hour to complete.

20200414_173112.jpg

20200414_180824.jpg

Grassland

Those were bolt on sliders?

If so there is one big advantage Ranger has over F150. No real sliders available for the F series.

Looking good

They are bolt on. Only had to drill one hole to use all the bolts and get full strength. They are solid. That was an issue I had with my f150. Being an 03 I couldn't get anything for it.

So had my first real test on the trails this weekend. Headed out with my son to camp and test out the new truck. Camping was great, little rain and a nice breeze to dry everything out. Woke up in the morning and got to the real work. Trail definitely tested m comfort. I got to start teaching my son how to spot and got to use 4 wheel low, the rear lockers and the sliders. Didn't get pics of every challenge and unfortunately not the worst of what we did, but did get to give it a full test.

DSC04284.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04321.jpg

DSC04323.jpg

DSC04334.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

Not an upgrade, just a great night of camping with my wife. Hard to find the time to escape now that life is taking back over but we were able to get out alone and enjoy the mountains for a night in the RTT and a nice hike the next morning. Love getting to spend time in nature with my family. Actually, now that I think about it, there was a test I performed on this trip. Just before we left for the mountains the Mailman drove by and dropped of a new Terrain Management selection knob which I switched out in about 5 minutes. I used Forscan to turn the feature on since I bought a 4x4 edition and not the FX4. Once I plugged the new switch in it appeared to work. While on the trail I found a nice spot to unweight my tires some to cause slipping to see if the system worked as designed. My initial thoughts are that it did. I think I heard the ABS kick in to push power to the wheels with traction.

DSC04399 cropped.jpg

w squared

Observer
I did not get an FX4 version either - but I did luck out and end up with an e-locker in the rear differential. I know from my Jeep experience that if I end up in a situation with this truck where one locker isn't enough, I'm going to end up winching anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior