2019 Ram Power Wagon

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well I went to see one of the only 2019 Power Wagons currently on dealer lots in Texas at the moment today. It's a loaded model with the Ram Boxes. For starters, I like the idea of the Ram Boxes, but I hate how much bed space you lose and the fact that you can't run a standard camper or FWC in one equipped with them. The overall HD/2500/3500 facelift is nice, I love the small changes to the interior lights, the overhead controls, the glove box, and the dash/gauges in general. I am not sure how I feel about the massive iPad-esque center screen but it's something to behold. I am not too keen on the dial transmission selector but I know that's the future for most manufacturers so eventually you won't have much of a choice in that area so you can start to assimilate now or just get angry about it lol. Having the two extra gears in the transmission is almost worth the tradeoff. The fender flares have an odd step/pocket at the peak and I am not sure why they chose that design element over simply leaving them flush like on prior years. And the headlights, while not their top tier offering, are light years ahead in both function and aesthetics over the prior projector version. It's a shame they don't offer the active model like found in the 2019 Limited trucks.

All in all I think it's definitely a nicer truck than the previous years, the few technology advances that irk me are probably here to stay for the most part, so we will have no choice but to accept them. I am disappointed that they chose to continue to use the same wheel and tire package for the new truck and they are still the much too small 33" Dura-Crap's. The loss of the the extra cup holders in front of the center console sucks but there are still a dozen or more throughout the truck. Still no factory auxiliary/upfitter switches which is a shame, but I do see it as a possible option online. I did find it odd that Ram in general has sought to bring back CD players and disc changers in the 2019 trucks, the salesman claimed that was a common request/complaint amongst their consumers after the purchase via surveys. Who are these people?

At the end of the day we decided to pass as I really don't want another black vehicle and I simply refuse to buy a truck with Ram boxes as it eliminates my build options down the road. It's located in Port Lavaca, TX at Port Lavaca Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for $7K off of sticker should any of you feel froggy. I will be waiting for more of them to hit dealer lots and the new to wear off before I make a move as I know there's still some meat on the bone there with the pricing. A stripped down chassis cab diesel 4x4 is still an option on the table as well so we have some talking to do and figuring out what it is we want in the end before we commit to a new Power Wagon.

GflmdUI.jpg

KixUO9i.jpg

NUczKnR.jpg

bhtzvaz.jpg

8WOLjpo.jpg

Beq15qq.jpg

EBV9NZl.jpg

NcVU8q0.jpg

dsdMR4O.jpg

bFODhnc.jpg

pAubmNq.jpg

2lPNzwL.jpg

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Thanks for the pics of the interior changes, I’m interested in how it drives with the 8 speed. I felt the 66rfe wasn’t well matched to the engine, any reason you didn’t take it for a spin?

I dislike the loss of the centre console, I used the one of the cup holders for a ram cup holder iPad mount for mapping apps. It worked perfectly in that spot.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thanks for the pics of the interior changes, I’m interested in how it drives with the 8 speed. I felt the 66rfe wasn’t well matched to the engine, any reason you didn’t take it for a spin?

I dislike the loss of the centre console, I used the one of the cup holders for a ram cup holder iPad mount for mapping apps. It worked perfectly in that spot.

I did, I didn't get it above 50mph though so it's hard to say how the new transmission plays overall. I didn't notice anything significant around town other than it felt a tad smoother than the 6-speed. Again, I don't want to be the guinea pig for the new transmission and screen lol.

sdemarcus

The new PW's look great, and you would enjoy being the envy of the road when people see it. Your previous PW was beautiful, and I'm sure the only thing that kept you from keeping it was the MPG/payload plague. However, the unique capabilities and presence of these trucks is worth the sacrifice in my opinion. The dial shifter has its critics, but like you said it's the way ram is moving forward with their product. The huge touch screen is a great idea, I'm just not sure how you would like it a year or two down the road. I also agree that black looks great, but ages horribly and I will never own another black truck... ever again. Your dad's PW is my favorite color, and I wish I could have found one in that color for my budget... oh well I love my red one. I'm pulling for you to put another build thread on here with the new PW as the center piece.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
PW won't fit on the car carriers with larger tires than that. They will never see anything larger.

I bought a new high-roof Sprinter back when Dodge had them. The delivery charge was insane due to them only being able to fit 2 or 3 on the single level trailer due to the height.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I did find it odd that Ram in general has sought to bring back CD players and disc changers in the 2019 trucks, the salesman claimed that was a common request/complaint amongst their consumers after the purchase via surveys. Who are these people?

Count me in. I bought my PW with the 6-disc changer in the dash, but it broke three times because the mechanism couldn't take the bouncing around. Replaced it with an Alpine head unit with a single slot. I like CDs for trips because radio coverage in the boonies is spotty, as is cell signal coverage in a lot of areas. I use Pandora a lot but their playlist gets as repetitive as my CDs.

Re the 2019 PWs, they sure look fat, almost bloated. Must be the stylists getting carried away and adding fake bulk to compete with the StuporDuty crowd. I absolutely hate the giant screen. The knob for the trans reminds me of the old MoPar pushbutton shifters from the 60s. You'll get used to it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The new PW's look great, and you would enjoy being the envy of the road when people see it. Your previous PW was beautiful, and I'm sure the only thing that kept you from keeping it was the MPG/payload plague. However, the unique capabilities and presence of these trucks is worth the sacrifice in my opinion. The dial shifter has its critics, but like you said it's the way ram is moving forward with their product. The huge touch screen is a great idea, I'm just not sure how you would like it a year or two down the road. I also agree that black looks great, but ages horribly and I will never own another black truck... ever again. Your dad's PW is my favorite color, and I wish I could have found one in that color for my budget... oh well I love my red one. I'm pulling for you to put another build thread on here with the new PW as the center piece.

Many thanks, I was partial to it as well. I was just getting started when I decided to let her go, but I am sure @dogman1911 will continue to do it justice as I know he already has few nice mods waiting back home for it. He just needs to get out of the middle east and back home so that he can enjoy it.

As for myself, there will certainly be other full size trucks in my future and more than likely there will be one at some point later this year. I will admit I am torn between Ford and Ram and in regards to the Ram I am partial to the PW, but I can't deny the attraction and idea of a chassis cab and flat bed build. We shall see.

I am pretty stoked for my dad's PW and the Mojave color, he loves it so far and already has it up on 35's and he just ordered some steps and a few other goodies for it as well. It won't be long and he'll have it with their camper in tow out to Colorado for some fun on the trails.

I love the manual tcase lever

What's the price tag though?

The manual t-case lever is indeed one of my favorite things about these trucks, I love the one in my TRD Pro 4Runner, too. Sticker was lower $65K, with a $7K discount making it just above $58K.

D45

Explorer
58k isn't that insane, but too crazy for me to ever spend on a truck

I'd just buy a used 2500 with the 6.4L for $25k and build it

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I like the interior updates on the 2019, but not enough to give up my 2012 (paid for with 57,000 miles on it). I’m hoping that in 2022 there will be a new body style and a more powerful Hemi under the hood. I’d think about a change then.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'll pass. If anything PW I would choose the Tradesman with the PW option. All the good parts of the PW without the fluff. Or a 6.4 chassis cab, build from there.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I agree that the Tradesman PW still makes the most sense. While I am wow'd by all of the new fancy bits, they aren't a must have for me. I am going to sit back and see what happens with the Super Duty in the fall along with keeping a watchful eye on the new Bronco as well. If the 10 speed transmission in the SD is a hit and the Highboy becomes a thing, I will have a hard time going back to a Ram. A stripped down diesel chassis cab is still an option on the table in both makes as well. A flatbed with underslung storage boxes and a flatbed FWC is still a setup I'd like to explore.

SoTxAg06

I agree that the Tradesman PW still makes the most sense. While I am wow'd by all of the new fancy bits, they aren't a must have for me. I am going to sit back and see what happens with the Super Duty in the fall along with keeping a watchful eye on the new Bronco as well. If the 10 speed transmission in the SD is a hit and the Highboy becomes a thing, I will have a hard time going back to a Ram. A stripped down diesel chassis cab is still an option on the table in both makes as well. A flatbed with underslung storage boxes and a flatbed FWC is still a setup I'd like to explore.

I’m curios about the 7.3 that’s coming out in the super duty as well. I kind of hope Ford makes a power wagon competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior