2019 Ram 2500 or 2020 Ford F-250???

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have decided to push up my purchase of a new truck to this fall, possibly as early as next month (I am sure some of you aren't surprised lol). I can go one of two ways here, option one: I can keep it mild and stick with a base model trim with a few options, this means a Tradesman Level 2 group or base XLT. I can pick up a decently optioned 2019 Tradesman Cummins Diesel 4x4 2500 for $48K ($8,800 off sticker) and start building with a Carli or Thuren kit and add my bumpers/winch, tires, load leveling air bags, and wheels of choice and still be in under $60K. It won't have the nice LED headlights or the fancy 12" infotainment screen or any of the eagle eye 360 cameras, but it'll have push button start, a diesel, rear locker, and all of the room I could ever need. I am not sure what the Ford will have standard or where it'll be priced because they haven't released the 2020 builds on their website yet, not sure why as they are due to hit dealer lots next month?!
Option two: I can buy a higher trim level truck like a Lariat with the Tremor package or a Laramie Longhorn and have all of the bells and whistles they have to offer. This will likely add $20-25K to the sticker. My ass and hands will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer, I'll have a mini big screen in the dash with any info one could ever ask for, blast my music loud, and see really well at night with the LED headlights, but is all of that worth an extra $400+ per month? I am wow'd by the gadgets and flashing lights just like they want me to be and I have always purchased top trim trucks like the King Ranch model, but I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze especially when these things are well into the $80's now.

I plan to start some small contracting on the side next year and I could use a reliable, no frills work truck without looking over the top when I drive up to a clients home/business. A nicely built base model can become a very good tow rig platform for the weekend excursions with the trailers for the dirt bikes, hauling the boat, and possibly to carry a FWC from time to time in a few years. Of course all of this can be done with a fancier trim level truck but I'd be less inclined to actually use it like a truck or take it off-road, etc.

Deep down I am a Ford guy, they have always been good to me and for some reason I lean towards their styling and I love the keypad entry on the door. I know I'll likely end up paying more for one and at this moment I have no idea where the 2020 MY trucks will sit in regards to trim levels, options, or price. On the other hand, my Power Wagon opened my eyes to how far Ram has come along in recent years and for the most part they are now equals. I can get a better deal on a Ram and it's hard to argue against the Cummins and lets not forget that they have more aftermarket options when it comes to quality lifts and bumpers, etc.

Which of the two truck makes would you choose? Which trim level would you go with and why? I feel like you can't lose here either way.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I suggest getting a 3500 if you get a CTD,that 2300lbs of payload evaporates pretty quickely with bumpers,tires,house batteries,tool box, big shocks,ect.

Good point! I am guessing that you vote RAM? What about trim level and options?

chet6.7

Explorer
Good point! I am guessing that you vote RAM? What about trim level and options?
I have a 2014,it has been recall after recall,I am in a Ram because of the Cummins.
I just rolled over Sexton Summit and Siskiyou Summit near, or, at max GVW,the Cummins made it fun. I don't know if things have changed,but I wanted a manual transfer case shifter,I could only get that in a Tradesman.That may not be important to you though. I would go for the Asin trans,I would get dual alternators,that may come with the snow plow group,skid plates may come with that was well.My off the lot Tradesman doesn't have map lights,I miss those.I think the rear diff LS is standard on a 3500. I went with a short bed,my first,it is nimble for what it is,but every time I haul lumber,or go on an interstate run like I just did,I miss the room of a long bed. A long bed would allow a replacement fuel tank with more capacity in the stock position.Ford may have the edge here, if their DEF tank is located differently than Ram.
I would look hard at the Ford.
The new 7.3 gas interests me,but a new motor is always something to be a bit cautions of.The Tremor interests me as well,it is more of what I want VS a Power Wagon,but it may be a ways off,and I suspect dealers my be trying to gouge customers even more that usual. I wondered how long you could go without a truck,I went without one for several years,to accomplish something else,I hated not having a full size PU.

Explorerinil

Observer
If your getting a diesel, nothing beats a cummins, espically combined with the Aisin trans. If your not sure on if you want a gasser or not, hold out and see what the 2020 super duty brings with the 7.3.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a 2014,it has been recall after recall,I am in a Ram because of the Cummins.
I just rolled over Sexton Summit and Siskiyou Summit near, or, at max GVW,the Cummins made it fun. I don't know if things have changed,but I wanted a manual transfer case shifter,I could only get that in a Tradesman.That may not be important to you though. I would go for the Asin trans,I would get dual alternators,that may come with the snow plow group,skid plates may come with that was well.My off the lot Tradesman doesn't have map lights,I miss those.I think the rear diff LS is standard on a 3500. I went with a short bed,my first,it is nimble for what it is,but every time I haul lumber,or go on an interstate run like I just did,I miss the room of a long bed. A long bed would allow a replacement fuel tank with more capacity in the stock position.Ford may have the edge here, if their DEF tank is located differently than Ram.
I would look hard at the Ford.
The new 7.3 gas interests me,but a new motor is always something to be a bit cautions of.The Tremor interests me as well,it is more of what I want VS a Power Wagon,but it may be a ways off,and I suspect dealers my be trying to gouge customers even more that usual. I wondered how long you could go without a truck,I went without one for several years,to accomplish something else,I hated not having a full size PU.

The new Tradesman has an option for the electronic shift on the fly transfer case shifter, it is no longer manual like the Power Wagon, but I assume that if you elect not to choose that $295 option you can stick with the manual lever?! I am only seeing the 68RFE 6-speed transmission in the 2500, dual alternators is an option (dual at 380amp or dual at 440amp) and one that I have always chosen in my SD's but most on the lot Tradesman trucks only have the single 220amp. The snow plow group is now called the Snow Chief Group and it only comes with the single 220amp alternator and the t-case skid and limited slip rear diff are included. Map lights are standard on a level 2A Tradesman, but don't appear to be on the lowest model, I couldn't live without those. I am more of a short box guy, I don't need a long box nor do I care for how they look, but I am aware of their advantages. The 6'4" box comes with a 31gal fuel tank where the Ford has a 34gal tank on the short box, that difference is negligible.

The Ford has an option to stick with a manual t-case in the XL and XLT trims but you must have a split bench 40/20/40 setup for that. You can pick and choose your options more freely with the Ford and supposedly on the 2020's you can elect for the LED headlamps as a standalone item on the Lariat and up trims.

I would like to have LED headlamps as they were fantastic on my 2017 F-250 but I learned to live without them on the PW, that said, we both hated them and longed for the LED's once more. I guess I could always go with a Morimoto in the aftermarket. I like the manual t-case shifter but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I have owned and enjoyed three 6.7L Super Duties so I have faith in that engine and their 6-speed but I would have even more peace of mind with the Cummins, that said I am not sure how the 68RFE rates? Upfitter switches are a preference and can be optioned on both but always seem to be missing from on the lot trucks in the lower trims. Both trucks have 6-speed transmissions but Ford will have a 10-speed in the 2020 trucks this fall, the 8-speed in the RAM appears to be reserved for the Hemi only. I am sure that having more gears leads to better fuel economy but I have never longed for more than six and I hated how all over the place my fathers 10-speed was in his Raptor so I am not sure that any of that matters.

I have only gone six months without a truck but it has been plainly evident that I have missed having one. From wet stinky clothes/shoes at the beach/fishing, to sandy and muddy equipment and dirty dogs, I have missed having a bed to keep those items out of the vehicle. Traveling to Colorado last month with a heavy trailer full of gear, tools, equipment, and dirt bikes was a pleasant experience in a buddies diesel and that pretty much sealed my fate in regards to getting back in a truck, I realized then that I was fooling myself and needed to get back in a HD and preferably a diesel.

Ill admit that I am split between the RAM and the Ford as they both have their strong suits. I am Ford guy at heart but the 2019 Ram looks good and I am finding myself drawn to the Cummins, it's price, and the aftermarket advantage. I really wish that Ford would release the 2020 on their website so I can have a better understanding of what I would be getting with a new Ford and where it would sit in the money. That said, I doubt that the Ford would be competitive in pricing.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Push button start?
Heard a good story about that yesterday. I have a friend who drives a Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. She's a short girl, so she sits on a substantial pillow when driving her Ram. Going to work a few days ago at 2am on a winding road, she shifted around adjusting the pillow and in the process, bumped the push button start button on the dash with her knee. The engine turned off...the lights turned off...no power steering...luckily she was able to see enough of the roadside markers to bring the truck to a stop without mishap. And luckily the road was deserted at this early hour.
No one hurt and no damage done...but why should it be possible to kill a truck moving at 70 mph by inadvertently tapping that button??????

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Throw it in neutral and hit the button again, problem averted. Not only that, this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone doing something like that, I have had lots of push button start vehicles and I have never come close to such a scenario.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Throw it in neutral and hit the button again

Most people can't think clearly when the SHTF. Remember when Toyota was having the "unintended acceleration" problem a few years ago? There was a Camry that supposedly encountered that situation, crashed and killed driver and passengers. The driver was a California Highway Patrolman. Why didn't he just pop it into neutral and hit the brakes? He had time to get on the cell phone and report the problem before the crash. Of all people, he should have been able to execute under pressure.
As an aside, there is an open recall on my Tundra for that problem. Toyota wants to reflash the electronics so that driver cannot apply throttle and brake at same time. That restriction is not acceptable on a truck that goes off road, so my truck does not go anywhere near a dealer.

I wasn't going to respond on this thread, but I would vote for the Ram based on my 15 years with a PW. Best truck I have ever had. Nothing wrong with the Ford, but I would avoid the high zoot version of either truck because there is too much electronic crap to go wrong over time and to distract you on the road. Other than good headlights, there is nothing about the higher trim levels that appeals to me. I would pay extra to avoid remote start and proximity and start buttons and TPMS and touch screens and traction control and hill descent assist and lane change assist and all the other crap they are putting on trucks these days.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
One of the questions I have is how does the limited slip diff in the RAM rate when compared to the electronic locking diff in the Ford?

LimaMikeMike

Observer
One of the questions I have is how does the limited slip diff in the RAM rate when compared to the electronic locking diff in the Ford?

Your old PW had a LSD in the rear when it wasn’t locked. It’s a geared unit that is similar to the standard LSD in the 2500/3500 without the locking portion of course. So you should have a point of reference compared to a locker, 100% locked is locked no matter who makes it.

The big difference is that the ford elocker generally locks without having to clean the magnets every so often.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I’ve been shopping the two brands as well, but 1/2 tons. I like longevity, which means I like simplicity. So I was shopping for Tradesman and XL trims. In the lower trims, I felt Ford had the edge. Both in ergonomics and quality. But the Ram was cheaper. Both seem like good trucks. I will most likely go with a Ford personally. I like the engine options and the wife likes the ride quality better.

Regarding lockers vs LSD, no LSD will perform like a locker. I am getting a locker in the F-150. Ram has the option for a rear locker in the 1500. But maybe not in the 2500/3500?

Explorerinil

Observer
The f150 I drive for work has the locking rear axle, it locks both wheels in until around 20mph, it works great. My ram has the LSD rear diff, in the mud and nasty snow i have purposely got the rear wheels spinning to see if both spin, they do, however it doesn’t feel as locked in as the rear locker ford offers.

Get the dual alternators, I have it and run a ton of electronic gear, I never have any issues and don’t get that weird thing batteries do when you have a heavy drain or load and they and the alternator are trying to keep up.

You can get the LED head lights on the tradesman as an option, I think it’s called the safety... something option, can’t remember the exact name.

You can still get a lever 4x4 shifter from what I’ve seen. I have the dial shifter and didn’t want it, I spewed my truck out and was going to order it and they found the exact same truck at a nearby dealer, only issue is it had the dial shifter... to not wait 6 weeks I went with the truck with the dial 4x4 shifter. I got to say it works just fine, my friend has 200k on his ram now, no issues ever with the dial 4x4 shifter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles