2019 Honda CRF 450L

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's what I have. Supposedly you have to recess the lower for it to fit, but no one has tried shaving down the tool itself as far as I know. Again, I haven't tried it on mine and with the fork tubes off to be serviced I can't go out and confirm it for you at the moment.

shade

I wish they provided a maximum torque rating and dimensions. I doubt either will be a problem since they're steel, and still pretty light looking: http://www.cruztools.com/wheelaxle.html

Motion Pro tools aren't cheap, but I like their detailed spec sheets, instructions, and videos.

When is your suspension due back? I hope you get a quick turnaround since this is prime riding weather. One of my friends has a Hawk (yeah, I know) and is itching to get some rides in with me. I told him I probably should have insurance & a helmet first. DMV has issued an amnesty since they're C19ed up, so I'll carry a copy of the title & bill of sale with me for now.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wish they provided a maximum torque rating and dimensions. I doubt either will be a problem since they're steel, and still pretty light looking: http://www.cruztools.com/wheelaxle.html

Motion Pro tools aren't cheap, but I like their detailed spec sheets, instructions, and videos.

When is your suspension due back? I hope you get a quick turnaround since this is prime riding weather. One of my friends has a Hawk (yeah, I know) and is itching to get some rides in with me. I told him I probably should have insurance & a helmet first. DMV has issued an amnesty since they're C19ed up, so I'll carry a copy of the title & bill of sale with me for now.

Yea the MP tools are the ones that are bending. The rear has to go to 94 which is high but the Cruz is steel and should be fine.

I am hoping they get it back out the door by the end of next week, we are headed to Arkansas for a dual sport tour through the Ozark and Ouachita Forests in a few weeks so I need it all buttoned back up by then. It's already bumping into the 90's down here and most don't ride locally June-August so unless I am doing night rides or heading out of state I won't be missing much.

shade

I just carry some long zip ties with me. Works great at keeping the tire on the rim if you get a flat. You can limp out. Also have heavy duty tubes.
I may do that, too. Otoh, I know I'll be taking long rides on gravel far from home or truck, so it'd be nice to do a proper repair instead of limping 50 miles.

Looks like the Tusk steel fits, and should take the rear torque: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-racer-axle-wrench-p

You can change the oil in 10-15 minutes, even less if you forgo the oil filter and change it every other OCI. I don't recommend that, but some do it. Oil filters are $7/ea, oil filter o-ring is $3/ea, drain plug o-ring is $2/ea. Honda GN4 10W-30 is $6/qt, buy six quarts and you can do the first five OCI's. Some replace the o-rings every other OCI, but I replace mine every OCI, an extra $5 every 1,000-ish miles isn't going to break me lol. So at retail prices you can do a complete OCI with new oil, filter and o-rings in under 15 minutes for less than $20.
I picked up the Works Connection EZ drain kit to use tomorrow. The previous owner changed the oil at 250 miles, and I figure it's due for another at 660 miles. There's a busy Amsoil dealer nearby, so I may go that route for oil & Wix filters if his prices aren't crazy.

Last edited:

shade

@Tex68w - Iirc, you're riding with a Bell Moto-9 Flex. Any complaints?

I'd like a dual purpose helmet that works well with goggles or a face shield, but I'm not sure that exists, so goggles it is.

shade

I love my Bell, very good helmets. I also have a Klim Krios for more dual sport, ADV, street use.
Thanks. That's probably the way I'll go, with a second MIPS helmet for road use.

I hate getting crap in my eyes, and I'm sure to be riding in the backwash of my friends for some time.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
With the bike down while the suspension is out I finally got around to installing the Motoxeno/JCR Speedshop dual USB port. I decided to wire it to the accessory plug on the left side behind the radiator instead of further cluttering the wiring by running it direct to the battery. With the factory Rental bar pad and the Giant Loop Zig Zag handlebar bag on there is little real estate left to mount it. I elected to mount it on the left side so that it would be closer to the closed zipper on the handle bar bag as I plan to place whichever device (phone, inReach, Sena) is being charged in there while I ride and this would lead to less clutter from the wires since they can run directly into the closed bag.

I chose to have the LED light and power button facing me so that I can see that it is on and charging while riding and that works out well because there isn't enough room behind the bars and controls to mount it facing the other direction in that spot. I left a little extra wiring in the harness should I decide to change out bars or lose the factory pad in the future, if so I'll move it further inboard.

Rpnz7Ra.jpg

9OXamxi.jpg

R5XWxA4.jpg

lhFGAUp.jpg

shade

Looks proper. It'd be cool if there was a weather boot that'd fit over the cable to keep crud out of the port while in use. It might be possible to make one out of Sugru.

I can't see wanting a 12V cigarette port on the bike. If I need a higher amp connector, I'll install a fuse Anderson Powerpole connector to the battery.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I followed the suggestion of a member on another forum and moved the USB port to behind the headlight mask. I used 3M double sided tape instead of velcro and situated it to where I could easily access it while on the bike and still operate the on/off button as well.

sha15HQ.jpg

ZELbn95.jpg

Xj7U9sM.jpg

shade

Better protection, there.

One of my co-workers would use that as yet another way to explain why you really need a 900 lb HD like his, or at the very least, an Africa Twin. I'm sure his pig has all sorts of charging ports, and a rolltop desk.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Suspension is done and on it's way back. Apparently the forks had a lot more wear and tear than the norm but nothing to be alarmed about. Hopefully I'll have it all back on the bike and buttoned up by next Wednesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier