2019 Honda CRF 450L

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Tex68w - Are you happy with your hitch carrier?

I was going to use Dad's small tilt bed trailer to pick up the bike tomorrow, but I just learned that he hasn't repacked the hubs - ever - in 35 years. I'll get to that soon enough, but I won't take it on the highway until the bearings are happy, so I'm borrowing a bike trailer from a friend. Regardless, I'll probably want a hitch rack at some point.

Well for starters, congrats on the bike, that's awesome! Looking forward to your thoughts on it and build thread.

I like it a lot. The only other one I would consider is the Ultimate MX Hauler and I wouldn't use it if you have to use hitch extensions or drops because it'll move around too much. In regards to mine I can't say enough good stuff about it. Contact them directly and they will likely give you a discount too.

shade

Well for starters, congrats on the bike, that's awesome! Looking forward to your thoughts on it and build thread.

I like it a lot. The only other one I would consider is the Ultimate MX Hauler and I wouldn't use it if you have to use hitch extensions or drops because it'll move around too much. In regards to mine I can't say enough good stuff about it. Contact them directly and they will likely give you a discount too.
Thanks for the advice. I have a Harbor Freight carrier I bought for a 200 lb scooter emergency. It's rated for 400 lbs. When the standard HF multiplier of 0.5 is applied, that equals 200 real pounds. It might carry a 300 lb bike, but I don't want to find out if it can't.

I haven't heard back from the seller after my minor counter offer (same price, but toss in a front disc guard), but I'm pretty sure the bike is mine. Any build thread will be boring, but I may post some photos from my wanderings. Since I'm starting from scratch, I'll be buying non-horsepower items, like a helmet & gloves, and a toolkit. Nothing sexy like a Vortex ECU or a new dash.

I've read the last 100 pages and first 60 of the advrider thread, working my way forward from 61 now. I figured reading the last 100 pages would reveal any showstoppers. I've seen a few things I may add later on, but the best thing I can possibly add right now is miles - and maybe a seat. :)

Wallygator

Adventurer
Agreed! Definitely a seat. That's on my list as well. I'm already standing up within a half mile of the house. I was hoping it would break in, hasn't so far.

shade

Agreed! Definitely a seat. That's on my list as well. I'm already standing up within a half mile of the house. I was hoping it would break in, hasn't so far.
I know that's a likely upgrade, but I'm hoping to put it off. Maybe warmer temperatures will help it soften up. It can't be any worse than the rental canoe seats I've used. :)

Due to C19, I'll have to see when (if?) my credit union, insurance agent, and the DMV are open. It'd be nice to get all of that taken care of in one shot while I have the bike on a trailer, in case there's a need for a VIN verification. I could try to get the seller to take a personal check, but I wouldn't blame him for refusing. I'm only a friend of a friend, and check fraud is so rampant I wouldn't accept a check from him, either.

I'm up to page 120 on the advrider thread. I finally had to Ignore messages from Marrs to thin the derp. No doubt he knows some things, but I'll go back for that knowledge if I need it. I hope Honda has an ECU reflash that tames the throttle a bit, but my bike is also past the worst of that at 650 miles, so it may not be horrible. I watched the video of the guy popping up at the 2018 presser. Man, that still has to bother him.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I know that's a likely upgrade, but I'm hoping to put it off. Maybe warmer temperatures will help it soften up. It can't be any worse than the rental canoe seats I've used. :)

Due to C19, I'll have to see when (if?) my credit union, insurance agent, and the DMV are open. It'd be nice to get all of that taken care of in one shot while I have the bike on a trailer, in case there's a need for a VIN verification. I could try to get the seller to take a personal check, but I wouldn't blame him for refusing. I'm only a friend of a friend, and check fraud is so rampant I wouldn't accept a check from him, either.

I'm up to page 120 on the advrider thread. I finally had to Ignore messages from Marrs to thin the derp. No doubt he knows some things, but I'll go back for that knowledge if I need it. I hope Honda has an ECU reflash that tames the throttle a bit, but my bike is also past the worst of that at 650 miles, so it may not be horrible. I watched the video of the guy popping up at the 2018 presser. Man, that still has to bother him.

The seat won't get softer or better in time, you either live with sitting on a 2x4 or you upgrade, it's that simple. The snatchy throttle won't go away either, it's a matter of it shutting off fuel as you roll off the throttle and the fact that it is so lean in stock form. It get's maybe 10% better in time but not enough to justify living with it IMHO. There's no evidence of an ECU update and there's only one guy touting that the 20's are different/improved so I wouldn't hold your breath there, Honda isn't known for going out of their way to fix things that need attention and/or admitting to them lol. That said, the horn bracket recall still perplexes me and spits in the face of my last statement lol.

Haha @nepa aka Marrs is definitely a different breed, I still don't understand the whole gibberish talk thing but he definitely has some knowledge with these bikes and the older CR/CRF's as well. I've spoke with him on the phone a few times and even gave him a few stock parts for free so that he could do some R&D on them, he's a normal guy on the phone and in PM's he types normally so who knows what that is all about. He's been MIA and/or rather quiet as of late so that's a good thing haha.

Yea, the WranglerStar guy that looped the bike at the presser is something else. I used to follow his channel on youtube mostly for tool reviews but once he got into bikes he started to annoy me and show his goofball/numb nuts side. I think he was only invited because of his youtube channel presence and that's another world from us regular folks but he will never live that moment down haha.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Springers off and headed to Cali, the bike looks so sad with out them haha. Now to do some deep cleaning, L&I the bearings and rewire the GPS and USB port.

46hdBEc.jpg

aMLMtmg.jpg

shade

The seat won't get softer or better in time, you either live with sitting on a 2x4 or you upgrade, it's that simple. The snatchy throttle won't go away either, it's a matter of it shutting off fuel as you roll off the throttle and the fact that it is so lean in stock form. It get's maybe 10% better in time but not enough to justify living with it IMHO. There's no evidence of an ECU update and there's only one guy touting that the 20's are different/improved so I wouldn't hold your breath there, Honda isn't known for going out of their way to fix things that need attention and/or admitting to them lol. That said, the horn bracket recall still perplexes me and spits in the face of my last statement lol.

Haha @nepa aka Marrs is definitely a different breed, I still don't understand the whole gibberish talk thing but he definitely has some knowledge with these bikes and the older CR/CRF's as well. I've spoke with him on the phone a few times and even gave him a few stock parts for free so that he could do some R&D on them, he's a normal guy on the phone and in PM's he types normally so who knows what that is all about. He's been MIA and/or rather quiet as of late so that's a good thing haha.

Yea, the WranglerStar guy that looped the bike at the presser is something else. I used to follow his channel on youtube mostly for tool reviews but once he got into bikes he started to annoy me and show his goofball/numb nuts side. I think he was only invited because of his youtube channel presence and that's another world from us regular folks but he will never live that moment down haha.
I'm home with the bike, and still have time for a nap. Insurance & DMV will happen tomorrow. I straddled the bike and nearly flat footed it, so that was encouraging. I'm sure the suspension can use some adjustment, but at least I'm not going to be dancing on my toes.

I'll see how the seat goes. It sure is narrow, no doubt about that. Otoh, compared to the OEM seat on my friend's XR650R, it's plush. If it works out like my bicycle seats, I'll be happy with it for awhile as long as I ride often, which is my goal.

I'm not holding my breath for a reflash. Honda does occasionally surprise folks, though. I had a 2006 Civic Si with very annoying rev hang associated with the throttle-by-wire, and they fixed it a few months after it was released, so it can happen.

What's on the menu for your suspension?

another_mike

Adventurer
You can change the oil in 10-15 minutes, even less if you forgo the oil filter and change it every other OCI. I don't recommend that, but some do it. Oil filters are $7/ea, oil filter o-ring is $3/ea, drain plug o-ring is $2/ea. Honda GN4 10W-30 is $6/qt, buy six quarts and you can do the first five OCI's. Some replace the o-rings every other OCI, but I replace mine every OCI, an extra $5 every 1,000-ish miles isn't going to break me lol. So at retail prices you can do a complete OCI with new oil, filter and o-rings in under 15 minutes for less than $20.

I drain my oil into one of those round plastic oil pans and then add it to my 15qt oil container which I take to the city recycle center to dump when it gets full. You can possibly increase the oil capacity with a Hinson or Rekluse clutch cover but I have yet to confirm whether or not they do and if so by how much. I will be replacing mine if I can get confirmation of an increase, no replies from Hinson or Rekluse just yet.

The 450L has very good on-road characteristics for it's class, just looking at it you wouldn't expect it to perform almost as well as the 250L on the slab but it does. You talk of these 1,000 mile trips and I think you'd be fine on the 450L for that type of riding, just throw some dirt and gravel in for the Elle along the way to keep her happy. The first thing I would change on the bike, especially if you're going to put down that kind of mileage would be the seat, the factory seat is horrid. Acerbis and Seat Concepts both have seats for it and I'd look into Enduro Engineering as well, but I am not sure if they offer one for it yet.

In regards to the video, he makes some good points, too many key board warriors bickering over tiny silly details instead of getting out and riding. I don't think that ADVRider has gone down the crapper but it has certainly changed over the years, but what forum hasn't? In regards to the fuel tank, I don't see the need for anything bigger than the IMS3.0, if I need more I bring a bladder or MSR bottles. The 3 gallon doesn't take away from the looks, feel or handling of the bike, you get into those bigger tanks and they are not only ugly but they change the cockpit space too much and will certainly start to impact the balance and handling.

Thats the first thing you'd do on the bike? Seems the consensus on ADVrider is everyone must buy a vortex as the first mod to fix the throttle....

shade

Thats the first thing you'd do on the bike? Seems the consensus on ADVrider is everyone must buy a vortex as the first mod to fix the throttle....
From what I've seen, seat trumps ECU/emission fiddling on that thread, but only by a small margin. I wonder if a Rekluse kit would tame the throttle tip-in without requiring a new ECU & exhaust. If so, I might go that route, since I want to keep the bike quiet. Early days for all that, though.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm home with the bike, and still have time for a nap. Insurance & DMV will happen tomorrow. I straddled the bike and nearly flat footed it, so that was encouraging. I'm sure the suspension can use some adjustment, but at least I'm not going to be dancing on my toes.

I'll see how the seat goes. It sure is narrow, no doubt about that. Otoh, compared to the OEM seat on my friend's XR650R, it's plush. If it works out like my bicycle seats, I'll be happy with it for awhile as long as I ride often, which is my goal.

I'm not holding my breath for a reflash. Honda does occasionally surprise folks, though. I had a 2006 Civic Si with very annoying rev hang associated with the throttle-by-wire, and they fixed it a few months after it was released, so it can happen.

That's awesome, welcome to the fold haha. You made the right choice here and will have a fantastic bike to grow into.

The horn bracket on the 2019's would crack and then the horn could get logged into the radiator. They replace the original single bolt bracket with a double bolt bracket and a new horn. Seems kinda silly but there were a few on the forums who had theirs crack. All dealers should have parts for the swap, it takes all of three minutes to do. Verify with your dealer so that they can have the parts on hand for your particular bike and have it done the next time you take it in.

Suspension is on its way to AHM in California for an overhaul/rebuild, new springs and revalve. It should settle the rear end down and give me a better all-around performance for the many facets of riding that my bike sees. I am excited to get it back and see the difference.

I always say that the two best things you can do to dirt bike/dual sport is a new seat and swap to your preferred tires. The Vortex is a must do in my opinion but some don't agree and I am not going to advocate for telling others to drop another $1400 on the Vortex and exhaust until they are ready. Ride it long enough and you'll come to that conclusion yourself.

Wallygator

Adventurer

Congratulations! That's awesome. You will learn to love it once you dial it in for yourself. An again all you need to fix the ECU is the JD Jetting tuner. It's all I have and it has fixed 98% of the issue with the stock mapping. If you decide to get one let me know and I can give you the settings I settled on, works great. I am also living with the seat until I start taking long rides on the thing. I stand up a lot. I have not done the horn recall either. My horn is bolted to the Flatland Racing radiator guards and has no way of reaching the radiator. It seems solid, time will tell.

shade

I'm putting together a toolkit. What wrench are you guys using for the front axle? I can see that clearance is very tight, and I'm not going to grind the mount for more room.

I've also seen that some aluminum wrenches aren't really strong enough for the axles. It looks like a steel, boxed end wrench with a thin wall socket adapter would be a good solution.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles