2019 Honda CRF 450L

Wallygator

Adventurer
Nice! Does Baja now have a specific kit? Last time I looked they didn't. Can you please post some part numbers if they don't have a specific kit? Thanks.

An what turn signal kit is that? I don't remember that in your build.

Also judging by the carb, I am guessing the new bike is going to be a two stroke?

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice! Does Baja now have a specific kit? Last time I looked they didn't. Can you please post some part numbers if they don't have a specific kit? Thanks.

An what turn signal kit is that? I don't remember that in your build.

Also judging by the carb, I am guessing the new bike is going to be a two stroke?

They've had the kit for a while now, BD part number is 490050. I swapped out the S2 clear lens for an amber on the high beam, I picked up both the combo and wide angle versions. The signals are part of the complete Dinamick Designs kit, the same signals are used in the rear and are flush mounted to the sides of the fender. The brackets were supposed to be powder coated black, not sure how he missed that before shipping. I'll take them off and have them done at a later point. I've yet to get to ride at night with the new head light but I can already tell that it's going to be a game changer for sure.

I was planning to bring home a 2020 YZ125X which is what all of those parts were for but I found a clean low hour 2015 KTM 200 XC-W and I went that route instead. This marks my third 200 since 2004, I love this motor, I really wish KTM would bring it back. I found a few issues that needed my attention after the initial ride on the way home so she's currently torn down and awaiting new parts and some light maintenance, I should have it back together and on the trails by next weekend. I gave her a thorough cleaning and worked on the pipe some (new hardware, hangers, o-rings and some slight massaging) and she's already slowly being put back together. I will be taking it back to the stock look like in the factory images below, headlight and tail light included. Don't worry, the 450 isn't going anywhere, in fact I'll be riding it in Big Bend for a few days in March.

nJRvf77.jpg

g3d1F8R.jpg

FyYPcV8.jpg

gCRw5Xa.jpg

KXjjbwJ.jpg

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
They've had the kit for a while now, BD part number is 490050. I swapped out the S2 clear lens for an amber on the high beam, I picked up both the combo and wide angle versions. The signals are part of the complete Dinamick Designs kit, the same signals are used in the rear and are flush mounted to the sides of the fender. The brackets were supposed to be powder coated black, not sure how he missed that before shipping. I'll take them off and have them done at a later point. I've yet to get to ride at night with the new head light but I can already tell that it's going to be a game changer for sure.

I was planning to bring home a 2020 YZ125X which is what all of those parts were for but I found a clean low hour 2015 KTM 200 XC-W and I went that route instead. This marks my third 200 since 2004, I love this motor, I really wish KTM would bring it back. I found a few issues that needed my attention after the initial ride on the way home so she's currently torn down and awaiting new parts and some light maintenance, I should have it back together and on the trails by next weekend. I gave her a thorough cleaning and worked on the pipe some (new hardware, hangers, o-rings and some slight massaging) and she's already slowly being put back together. I will be taking it back to the stock look like in the factory images below, headlight and tail light included. Don't worry, the 450 isn't going anywhere, in fact I'll be riding it in Big Bend for a few days in March.

nJRvf77.jpg

g3d1F8R.jpg

FyYPcV8.jpg

gCRw5Xa.jpg

KXjjbwJ.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the links to the parts. That KTM 200 is one of their best bikes ever. Just very reliable and can take a lot of punishment. A great second bike for you.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well I started putting the 200 back together today. I had planed to use all of the new OEM KTM plastics I had (minus the air box sub mount piece) and add the air box piece from Acerbis (factory part was in poor shape and had multiple cracks), but little did I know that Acerbis plastics and factory KTM plastics don't line up and aren't compatible, who knew?! So I had to order a full set of Acerbis plastics piece by piece so that I could get the color combo I wanted. I am currently awaiting the arrival of the rear fender, the tank shrouds and the air box side panels so that I can finish putting the bike back together.

The front caliper got a deep clean and full rebuild, I'm just waiting on the pads so that I can reinstall it all and bleed the brakes. I put the lights back on and moved to orange plastics (air box and side panels will be black and bk/org), I'm not a huge fan of white plastics with the orange, feels too dreamcicle like lol. Instead of rebuilding the factory radiators I opted for stronger, better aftermarket coolers. I ordered up a set of radiators from Myler's and I have to admit, these are very nice. TIG welded, reinforced exterior panels, braced horizontally, new HP cap, I am very pleased. I also added one of those side grab handles to give me a better spot to manhandle the bike from and to keep my hand clear of the hot silencer.

As I removed the awful blue seat cover I realized that the factory seat was still intact and in excellent shape underneath, major score!!! I added Acerbis X-Factory hand guards up front along with the new front fender and lower fork guards. That original 360 wrap design on those fork guards is silly, I ended up cutting out the braces and splitting the top connection so that I didn't have to drop the lowers in order to install them and for easier removal/access when I need to clean the seals. The bike has a recently installed Shorai lithium battery from the previous owner, no complaints there.

Hopefully everything will arrive by the end of the week and I can get out and ride this coming weekend. I am very excited about being back on a two-stroke for my woods riding, wrestling that 450L around was a beating in the tight single track with the whoops and sand. I need to pick out a decal kit for the bike and then keep her in one piece for the majority of next year until I can pull the trigger on a new 200-300.

zGzXqrG.jpg

tcJipDO.jpg

Si6pBiQ.jpg

zgFJKGB.jpg

GYNrzwI.jpg

EYUhwc0.jpg

Eur9JJM.jpg

0V1wcu2.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That KTM 200 is one of their best bikes ever. Just very reliable and can take a lot of punishment. A great second bike for you.

I agree, it's a shame they stopped making it. I plan to use it as my sole woods bike for the majority of 2020 and then I'll more than likely add a new 300 to go along with it and keep this as a backup/loaner and for use on some of the tighter trails I ride. It would be hard to replace this one should I ever get rid of it which is what has me considering keeping it as a third bike.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I agree, it's a shame they stopped making it. I plan to use it as my sole woods bike for the majority of 2020 and then I'll more than likely add a new 300 to go along with it and keep this as a backup/loaner and for use on some of the tighter trails I ride. It would be hard to replace this one should I ever get rid of it which is what has me considering keeping it as a third bike.

I know you will probably end up with a KTM/Husky 300 but if the 300 is going to be a woods/enduro style bike for you then you at least need to check out the Sherco. A great 300. Yes there are some compromises with the Shercos (takes longer to get parts) but I love mine even though I am essentially rebuilding the thing since the last owner neglected it. I will buy another one when I am done with this one. High quality bikes.

An yeah Mylars is awesome. Back in my serious motocross days I used them a lot. :) You would be amazed at the damage they can correct on your radiators. Great company.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I know you will probably end up with a KTM/Husky 300 but if the 300 is going to be a woods/enduro style bike for you then you at least need to check out the Sherco. A great 300. Yes there are some compromises with the Shercos (takes longer to get parts) but I love mine even though I am essentially rebuilding the thing since the last owner neglected it. I will buy another one when I am done with this one. High quality bikes.

An yeah Mylars is awesome. Back in my serious motocross days I used them a lot. :) You would be amazed at the damage they can correct on your radiators. Great company.

Oh yea, I believe they could salvage the original radiators without issue. By the time I shipped them there and back and added supports and a new cap I was within $40 of a new radiator so it made it an easy choice to simply buy new and have them in three days. I'll keep the factory radiators should I ever decide to send them in or for the next owner.

I'd love to check out a Sherco, they had a demo day at Harvest Classic but I was too focused on the Pro Trials event and having one too many beverages to mess with riding new bikes lol. Sherco and TM are both bikes I'd consider if they had a better presence and infrastructure here in the states. Sadly, the closest Sherco dealer is six hours away. It's bad enough that the closest KTM and Husky dealers are two hours away and the only Beta dealer in my region is three hours away and he doesn't even stock bikes. I was very impressed with the Beta 200RR and 300RR that I rode at the demo day and my buddies 390RR-S that I rode in Colorado was almost perfect. Beta is definitely at the top of the list but I can't deny the easy access to parts and usually competitive sales prices of the KTM and Husky at year end closeout. I'd like to consider the Husky over the KTM for the sole fact of getting a linkage and head light and simply to have a different make/color in the garage, the Beta is appealing for this same reason.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well short of the hardware in the air box that holds the blind rivets and clamp for the air filter itself, the bike is completely back together. I ordered new OEM tank plastics/shrouds with the original decals but they are on back order so I resorted to cleaning up the originals and I plastic welded on them some and reused them for now until the new ones come in. Aside from the tank plastics/shrouds and the mud flap, all of the other plastics on the bike are brand new. It almost looks like a new bike from a few feet.

I have a set of IMS Core Enduro pegs coming for Christmas and I ordered up a set of the Acerbis frame guards just to freshen it further. The factory side stand is cracking around the bolt opening (typical) so I've got a Trail Tech replacement on the way. I'll pick up the air box hardware on Wednesday and then she'll be complete. Hopefully she'll be ripping through the woods on Sunday.

I always add a color matched character of some sort to my bikes and this one got Garfield. It's funny how my pissy attitude this afternoon matched his, it must be fate.

nNfgkTH.jpg

GkeR1iQ.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think you're almost due to start a new vehicle build thread... lol Ram Power Wagon? Super Duty diesel? Maybe a Tremor?

Lol, right?!

I’ve actually enjoyed not fixating on a vehicle build for the last half of this year. The poor GX has taken the brunt of random little damage so she’s being moved to full time commuter and beach comber duty, it makes for a great vehicle for the misses to drive to the plant everyday.

Im all over the place in regards to the next build which won’t come until 2021, too many other things that’ll take favor in 2020. As of right now, this is my short list for the next build.

1) 2020/21 F-250/350 diesel 4x4

2) 2021 Ford Bronco (still have to see what it’s going to look like and cost first lol)

3) 2016+ Toyota Land Cruiser (we love our LX570 but I’d I’m going to do a proper build I’d start with a LC)

4) 2020/21 Mercedes Sprinter diesel 4x4 (I love this idea but reliability concerns me and the misses isn’t convinced)

or

2021 Ford Transit AWD

The vans are appealing as dirt bike haulers but I’d have to heavily modify them in order to stand looking at them lol.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Why not build the LX instead of a LC?

So the Power Wagon didn't make the cut? How come?

In regards to building the LX I would have to remove the AHC system and the lack of bumper and slider options for the 570 is a detriment. Maybe that will change in the future, especially if the LC goes away in the next few years like the rumors state, but for now it's a much harder vehicle to mod. Prior to 2016 the LX and LC looked extremely similar so the bumpers and sliders were interchangeable, that made it a lot easier to mod. Have discussed a wild build of the LX with a friend that would include a laundry list of custom work, but at the end of the day I am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. Like I said, that's my current short list, it's possible it can change in the next 12-18 months lol.

In regards to the PW, I love my diesels and with the possibility of another off-shore boat on the horizon in the next two years a diesel truck would be a must. I loved the Power Wagon but I prefer the cab of the Ford and the transmission always concerned me, maybe it's somewhat unfounded and based upon reputations of the past with Dodge, but it was always in the back of my mind. I'm not counting the PW out just yet, but it's not currently a front runner. We may be moving in the next 12-18 months as well, we have to see what work dictates and if we end up in a more urban environment then that will have an impact on this decision as well.

I'd like to have a truck for my towing needs and not have to drive it every day, just park it during the week and use it when needed. We then can keep the GX as the work commuter and beach vehicle and add a third vehicle for true off-road/overland travel which could be a more moderate to extreme build with something on 37's. Possibly the new Bronco or a well equipped 200-series or maybe a nicely built Sprinter to carry the bikes and dogs and kayaks with sleeping quarters all at once. If I am honest with myself, the 4WD van is the most appealing for my overall needs and desires but it is also the most niche and possibly the least user friendly for use on a daily basis. Lots to ponder and consider and at the moment we are getting by just fine with the two SUV's but I'll admit it's kinda boring and mundane not having a modified/lifted vehicle in the garage as an ongoing project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles