shade

Lifting the bike isn't a struggle, but it's a little fiddly getting it positioned on the lift to where it's centered on the platform and on the peg anchors. Even with the lift's two wheels locked, the steel wheels slide on smooth concrete. I'll get better with time, but it's not so bad now.

Speaking of lifting, I added a Tugger strap up front for a good center mounted handle. I bought a seat strap, but with a rear flat rack, it's not really necessary. I may give it to a friend.

I was a little harsh about the boys. My problem is that every time I started to get interested in whatever Ewan was doing, Charley ruined it for me. Then there was whatever was going on with Ewan fretting about his wife riding with them, and I was done. I'm sure there are good sections of the shows, but I find Lyndon a lot less annoying, at least on the first tour I've been watching. Maybe he'll have an awful childhood friend join in and I'll be off him, too.

The video I posted earlier covering Lyndon in the 2014 Mongolian Rally is a good place to start with him. The ultra prepared, solo engineer-mechanic faced failures that shouldn't have happened - just like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea the wife thing was annoying with Ewan and now that they are divorced it’s even more ridiculous lol.

I got to ride a T7 a few weeks back, I’m sold. It’s not a very refined bike (when compared to the GSA) but it’s amazing for the price and it’s a better weight and size than a GSA so I couldn’t be more pleased. I’ve already started buying parts for it so it’s a done deal in my eyes. I just need to wait until the end of the year and see if we relocate. If we move by the end of the year I might snag a new 300 first and put the T7 back another six months or so. Either way it works out I’m excited.

shade

I'm impressed by the Klim Baja mesh jacket. This is the first I've had a chance to ride with it, and I found it very comfortable. Of course, this is also the first mesh jacket I've ever worn, so there's that.

I'm letting the bike cool off before raising the shift lever a bit. I've been meaning to do it for awhile. It's awkward to get my boot under it, so I end up shifting using the welt of the sole, which isn't a very good way to do it. It started to rain, so it was time to get home anyway. I may get some more miles in later this evening once it dries.

I think I've hit on the key to living with the jerky low rpm throttle response in 1st. Get out of 1st as soon as practical, and avoid it as much as possible. There may be a Vortex in my future if it doesn't smooth out by 1000 miles.

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
ECU/exhaust upgrade parts list

$700 - Vortex ECU
(I could run the Vortex with the OEM-ish settings with the OEM exhaust. Kind of a waste, but it'd be quiet, while addressing some EPA/CARB induced deficiencies.)

$120 - Honda CRF450X header: Part #18320-MEY-670
$53 - Honda Protector (heat shield): Part #18323-MEY-A30
$10 - Honda mounting hardware for heat shield
$4 - Honda exhaust gasket: Part #18291-MEB-670

or
$270 - FMF CRF450X Stainless MegaBomb header: Part #041577
(I doubt I'd benefit from whatever performance comes from spending $100 more.)

$350 - FMF CRF450X Q4 HEX S/A muffler: Part #041578

I'm not in a hurry to order any of that, of course.

Shade, just want to let you and others know that I don't think the part number you list for the factory CRF header is the correct pipe. I ordered this pipe for my 450l and I went to install my FMF muffler today stuff did not line up right. That part number you list seems to stop with 2017 450X's so maybe something has changed.

If you did end up installing this pipe let me know what i'm doing wrong. Otherwise I need to order the correct Honda part or go Megabomb.

Halligan

Adventurer
I'm impressed by the Klim Baja mesh jacket. This is the first I've had a chance to ride with it, and I found it very comfortable. Of course, this is also the first mesh jacket I've ever worn, so there's that.

I'm letting the bike cool off before raising the shift lever a bit. I've been meaning to do it for awhile. It's awkward to get my boot under it, so I end up shifting using the welt of the sole, which isn't a very good way to do it. It started to rain, so it was time to get home anyway. I may get some more miles in later this evening once it dries.

I think I've hit on the key to living with the jerky low rpm throttle response in 1st. Get out of 1st as soon as practical, and avoid it as much as possible. There may be a Vortex in my future if it doesn't smooth out by 1000 miles.

Get the Vortex. My bike runs is so much better since I switched. No more extreme Jake Brake action when off the throttle and way smoother overall. Riding in the woods is easier, less stressful, and even less dangerous because power delivery is more controlled. I've hardly had any flame out's and bike seems happier. I think it will add to then overall longevity of the engine as well by running cooler (fan barley kicks on now).

Halligan

Adventurer
Looks like the correct 450X header pipe is 18320-MKE-A40 plus whatever other parts and pieces you need to make it work. Once I added it all up I may just go with the Megabomb because all the parts are nearly $300.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Get the Vortex. My bike runs is so much better since I switched. No more extreme Jake Brake action when off the throttle and way smoother overall. Riding in the woods is easier, less stressful, and even less dangerous because power delivery is more controlled. I've hardly had any flame out's and bike seems happier. I think it will add to then overall longevity of the engine as well by running cooler (fan barley kicks on now).

Smart move! I've been telling people this for the last year and half now, it's one of the most validated upgrades for this bike behind a new seat and better tires.

Looks like the correct 450X header pipe is 18320-MKE-A40 plus whatever other parts and pieces you need to make it work. Once I added it all up I may just go with the Megabomb because all the parts are nearly $300.

I went with the MegaBomb header from day one and I couldn't be happier.

Halligan

Adventurer
Smart move! I've been telling people this for the last year and half now, it's one of the most validated upgrades for this bike behind a new seat and better tires.

I went with the MegaBomb header from day one and I couldn't be happier.

Yes sir the Vortex is money well spent. I also swapped my seat out last week for a new Seat Concepts which is also a huge improvement.

I should of ordered the MegaBomb initially but everything I want is back ordered. I ordered the Q4 muffler but it was backordered over a month so place I ordered my muffler from swapped my order to a PowerCore with optional quiet insert which is basically a Q4 because it was in stock.

The MegaBomb header is still back ordered as well so I went to my Honda dealer today returned the wrong stuff and ordered the proper stock 450X pipe and accessories. I should have that next week. Now I'm going to reinstall the stock exhaust and go for a ride.

coastalcop

I'm replying very late on this, but in reading I didnt see that you added a Rekluse clutch yet. This is one of the best mods out there IMHO. I rode one crf 250 in marble falls, Ive been a rider for over 40 years and this was a gamechanger in that I could focus on the trail and simply use throttle modulation when overcoming obstacles. It really was that good. I wouldnt necessarily race with one, but I installed one in the missus wr250r and she loves it, I do plan on upgrading my wr250 as well.

It does look like they make two models for the 450L

Count on the initial install to take longer than you expected (getting lever travel and spring rates correct) but once adjusted, you will love it !

I looked at the 450 but honestly, the wr250r does everything I ask of it and more.

On Klim gear (most of mine is Klim) they do offer a discount for brand ambassadors, military, and first responders, you have email them to get the codes.

Fyi my SIDI adventure boots are still going strong after 5 years of trips (roughly 75 offroad trips) , but YMMV .

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm replying very late on this, but in reading I didnt see that you added a Rekluse clutch yet. This is one of the best mods out there IMHO. I rode one crf 250 in marble falls, Ive been a rider for over 40 years and this was a gamechanger in that I could focus on the trail and simply use throttle modulation when overcoming obstacles. It really was that good. I wouldnt necessarily race with one, but I installed one in the missus wr250r and she loves it, I do plan on upgrading my wr250 as well.

Count on the initial install to take longer than you expected (getting lever travel and spring rates correct) but once adjusted, you will love it !

I looked at the 450 but honestly, the wr250r does everything I ask of it and more.

On Klim gear (most of mine is Klim) they do offer a discount for brand ambassadors, military, and first responders, you have email them to get the codes.

Fyi my SIDI adventure boots are still going strong after 5 years of trips (roughly 75 offroad trips) , but YMMV .

I agree that the newest version of the Rekluse Auto Clutch is pretty good, I wasn't a fan of previous versions. I too am considering one down the road but I think I'd find it more useful on the two-stroke woods bike where I'll spend the majority of my time in first and second gear. It's very useful in helping to keep you from stalling the bike.

I prefer the Sidi Crossfire boots, I actually just picked up a new set of Crossfire 3 SRS's and retired my Crossfire 2 TA's this past week. I have run mostly Sidi boots/shoes for my cycling, street and off-road footwear needs. The only other off-road boot I have owned, liked and whole heartedly recommend are the Gaerne SG-12's, they are very similar to the Crossfire TA's with their welt soles and metal reinforced toe box.

I only run Klim clothing, have for years, I agree it's the best. I have inquired about Military and Veteran discounts in the past and I was told that they did not offer anything, I might have to look into that again. It would be the difference in me ordering direct through Klim versus through online vendors who offer sales and discounts. I have a large gift card with them that I need to use soon and an added discount would be nice.

The WR250R is a great bike and certainly top dog in the 250 Dual Sport segment, but the 450L is in another league in every way. A few of my riding buddies are on WR250R's but one of them is soon to replace his with a WR450F with a street legal kit. I love Yamaha, I just wish that they would do more updates to their bikes, some of the current models haven't changed in nearly 15 years.

coastalcop

I agree that the newest version of the Rekluse Auto Clutch is pretty good, I wasn't a fan of previous versions. I too am considering one down the road but I think I'd find it more useful on the two-stroke woods bike where I'll spend the majority of my time in first and second gear. It's very useful in helping to keep you from stalling the bike.

I prefer the Sidi Crossfire boots, I actually just picked up a new set of Crossfire 3 SRS's and retired my Crossfire 2 TA's this past week. I have run mostly Sidi boots/shoes for my cycling, street and off-road footwear needs. The only other off-road boot I have owned, liked and whole heartedly recommend are the Gaerne SG-12's, they are very similar to the Crossfire TA's with their welt soles and metal reinforced toe box.

I only run Klim clothing, have for years, I agree it's the best. I have inquired about Military and Veteran discounts in the past and I was told that they did not offer anything, I might have to look into that again. It would be the difference in me ordering direct through Klim versus through online vendors who offer sales and discounts. I have a large gift card with them that I need to use soon and an added discount would be nice.

The WR250R is a great bike and certainly top dog in the 250 Dual Sport segment, but the 450L is in another league in every way. A few of my riding buddies are on WR250R's but one of them is soon to replace his with a WR450F with a street legal kit. I love Yamaha, I just wish that they would do more updates to their bikes, some of the current models haven't changed in nearly 15 years.

Oh the WR250 is no 450L for sure. The 450L is in a class of its own in the factory street legal department and Honda reliability is well known (my first bike a 77 z50 is STILL being used by kids in the family out on a farm in East Texas). However, for me comparing what I would try on the 450L vice the wr250r , I see tib/fib fractures in my future on a 450L ;). So I stick to something less likely to make me think Im a younger and better rider than I am.....

Very Glad youre out there having a great time though!

shade

Shade, just want to let you and others know that I don't think the part number you list for the factory CRF header is the correct pipe. I ordered this pipe for my 450l and I went to install my FMF muffler today stuff did not line up right. That part number you list seems to stop with 2017 450X's so maybe something has changed.

If you did end up installing this pipe let me know what i'm doing wrong. Otherwise I need to order the correct Honda part or go Megabomb.

Sorry about that. I'll update my parts list with the correct number you found. I'm sticking with the OEM exhaust for awhile longer.

Otoh, I'm leaning toward a Vortex purchase. I really don't like the snatchy throttle, to the point that I think it is a bit of a safety issue. Running a Vortex with the stock exhaust would be just fine for me as far as power goes. Going V would also make a larger tank more necessary. And then there are those cool ASV levers that would work better ... sigh.

I may eventually install a Rekluse, but I really want to gain proficiency with a traditional clutch first. To that end, gaining better control of throttle response would be a step in the right direction.

One downside to the Klim discount is that it requires ordering direct from them, and their customer service isn't always on par with retailers like Revzilla. Still, if you qualify and the concept of the discount doesn't bother you, 30% is hard to ignore.

coastalcop

Sorry about that. I'll update my parts list with the correct number you found. I'm sticking with the OEM exhaust for awhile longer.

Otoh, I'm leaning toward a Vortex purchase. I really don't like the snatchy throttle, to the point that I think it is a bit of a safety issue. Running a Vortex with the stock exhaust would be just fine for me as far as power goes. Going V would also make a larger tank more necessary. And then there are those cool ASV levers that would work better ... sigh.

I may eventually install a Rekluse, but I really want to gain proficiency with a traditional clutch first. To that end, gaining better control of throttle response would be a step in the right direction.

One downside to the Klim discount is that it requires ordering direct from them, and their customer service isn't always on par with retailers like Revzilla. Still, if you qualify and the concept of the discount doesn't bother you, 30% is hard to ignore.

When i was at hidden falls on an unfamiliar bike (the rest of the group went with quads) the rekluse was a gamechanger, no worries about stalling, great throttle control, etc. That said, i installed the first one on the missus wr250r (she loves it) , and havent yet done mine. It is in the plans though.

Klim customer service has been spot on with me so far (I havent yet had a warranty claim) , and I appreciate the discount they offer "here"

Tex68w

Beach Bum
When i was at hidden falls on an unfamiliar bike (the rest of the group went with quads) the rekluse was a gamechanger, no worries about stalling, great throttle control, etc. That said, i installed the first one on the missus wr250r (she loves it) , and havent yet done mine. It is in the plans though.

Klim customer service has been spot on with me so far (I havent yet had a warranty claim) , and I appreciate the discount they offer "here"

Thanks for the link to the VIP deal, I'll submit mine tonight. HF is great but it's not where I want to ride every weekend, part of me thinks you can have more fun out there on a trials bike than you can on a dirt bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles