Tex68w

Beach Bum
That must be a new policy because I've ha many orders in the $1000+ range over the years and never once have I run into that problem. It's nice that they give you a little money back to spend on future purchases too.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Klim Carlsbad jacket & pants
Klim Tactical Pants with armor (they have a pair without)
Gaerne SG-12 boots

The Carlsbad set seems to strike a good dual-sport balance. I may end up with a better ventilated top for summer, but I'd still want a jacket like the Carlsbad regardless.

I decided on the base pants so I wouldn't have to ******** with sagging long socks, and for a little more protection. If I ever get knee braces, I'll be ready.

The SG-12 is well reviewed. It's overkill for what I'll be doing any time soon, though. Otoh, I've read many crash stories that mention upgrading boots after breaking something, but I haven't seen that mentioned after crashing with the SG-12. Late model Sidi boots have apparently dropped in durability, so I went another way.

I'll be that guy, with nice kit and no experience. I'll try not to let that bother me. :)

I've never run the Carlsbad line but I own a lot of Klim gear and short of some Adventure Spec and the new Mosko Moto line there's not much that can hold a candle to it. I found the Tactical pants to be annoying so I run the shorts now, much easier to get on and off after a long sweaty day too.

I switched to the Gaerne SG-12's for a few years, I think I went through two pairs before I went back to Sidi. The Gaerne are every bit as good as the Sidi TA's but the soles don't hold up as well, but they are easily replaceable via a competent cobbler. I wouldn't say that Sidi quality has dropped in recent years but I buy only buy their top model so who knows in regards to the budget stuff. Full on motocross boots like the SG-12's and Crossfire 2/3's can be considered overkill for dual sport by some, but I will tell you that it's worth it when it comes to the threat of a fibia/tibia compound fracture. Less stiff boots are easier to flex/roll and get injured in, I've seen it first hand, so if you can handle a stiffer, more cumbersome pair of rugged MX boots while riding and walking then definitely go that route every single time. I have a narrower foot and the Sidi compliment that better and I like that you can replace the hardware.

Don't worry about looking like a squid in the top kit while learning to ride, it's better to buy once, cry once and know that you've got quality kit for when you need it and it'll last longer too. I always tell my other half, you can't put a price on my life, so buy the best.

shade

That must be a new policy because I've ha many orders in the $1000+ range over the years and never once have I run into that problem. It's nice that they give you a little money back to spend on future purchases too.
I was told it's just the first 90 days. With all of the package theft and fraud going on, I see the point of trying something like that, but it I'm not convinced it does much to combat crime other than slowing down the process.

shade

I've never run the Carlsbad line but I own a lot of Klim gear and short of some Adventure Spec and the new Mosko Moto line there's not much that can hold a candle to it. I found the Tactical pants to be annoying so I run the shorts now, much easier to get on and off after a long sweaty day too.

I switched to the Gaerne SG-12's for a few years, I think I went through two pairs before I went back to Sidi. The Gaerne are every bit as good as the Sidi TA's but the soles don't hold up as well, but they are easily replaceable via a competent cobbler. I wouldn't say that Sidi quality has dropped in recent years but I buy only buy their top model so who knows in regards to the budget stuff. Full on motocross boots like the SG-12's and Crossfire 2/3's can be considered overkill for dual sport by some, but I will tell you that it's worth it when it comes to the threat of a fibia/tibia compound fracture. Less stiff boots are easier to flex/roll and get injured in, I've seen it first hand, so if you can handle a stiffer, more cumbersome pair of rugged MX boots while riding and walking then definitely go that route every single time. I have a narrower foot and the Sidi compliment that better and I like that you can replace the hardware.

Don't worry about looking like a squid in the top kit while learning to ride, it's better to buy once, cry once and know that you've got quality kit for when you need it and it'll last longer too. I always tell my other half, you can't put a price on my life, so buy the best.
We'll see if the Tactical Pants bother me. I don't mind wearing tights for cycling, and I thought they might be more comfortable than dealing with long socks. When I start riding more difficult terrain, I'll add knee braces, which may be more comfortable with tights.

The complaints I've read about Sidi boots falling apart was in reference to their Crossfires. Someone wondered if a change in adhesive was to blame; beats me. I have a fairly wide foot, so the generous toe box of the SG-12 may be better for me anyway.

I've never had any joint problems or broken bones, and I want to keep it that way. It's easy to carry a pair of shoes if I need to walk more than MX boots allow. To each their own, but some of the excuses for wearing floppy boots don't show much imagination for the potential end result.

I know I'll look like a goof as I learn, no matter the gear; no big deal. I used to wear bread bags over my socks while riding my bike in the winter, so I appreciate being able to afford good gear today.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The Crossfires that had the sole issues were the SRS models that allow you to unscrew and replace the entire sole, they make Crossfire SRS's and Crossfire TA's. I believe the adhesive was ultimately to blame. The TA's are sewn on soles with a metal toe plate just like the SG-12's. I have run three pairs of the Crossfire TA's and two pairs of SG-12's and I can confidently say that the Sidi TA sole holds up better and the readily available replacement parts for the Sidi's is a plus as well . These are the only two boots I'll wear anymore but the SIdi's do fit me a little better in the foot bed.

shade

RMATVMC has decided that I've spent enough money that I no longer have to re-order my orders, so my new headlight and a few other things are on their way. I really want my boots more than anything. Wearing clunky steel toe work boots isn't the best.

shade

So, a few exchanges.

The Klim Carlsbad pants are just long enough that I'm going to return them for the short version. I'll never wear them with shoes, so it makes sense to have them sit a little short than long. Otherwise, the jacket fits well, and the gear is top notch. I may still buy an undershirt with armor & a jersey for really hot days on trails, but for anything on the road or with a little speed, the Carlsbad seems solid.

I like the Bell helmet ok, but decided to exchange it for a Klim Krios Pro. I wanted a helmet that could be configured for a visor or goggles, and the Krios Pro can do that ok. The fragile straw tech also seems to be effective. I've read some complaints about flaky visor hardware for early models. I hope Klim sorted that out by now.

And I still haven't ridden the damn bike! I worked plenty of overtime last week, have to work today, and have to help someone do some other work tomorrow. I don't have moto boots or a helmet at the moment, but I'd still like to at least tool around a parking lot during the next few days.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Klim Krios and Krios Pro are very light weight helmets, that's their target niche. They aren't the same quality fit and finish as an Arai, Shoei, Bell, etc. They are noisier and have less ventilation control as well, but you're aways going to have trade offs just like anything else. Im on my second Krios and while I love the look and the weight I'd probably be happier with one of a few other helmets, but for the money I can't complain. I wear my Bell for strictly off-road riding and the Klim is my dual sport and ADV lid.

shade

Klim Krios and Krios Pro are very light weight helmets, that's their target niche. They aren't the same quality fit and finish as an Arai, Shoei, Bell, etc. They are noisier and have less ventilation control as well, but you're aways going to have trade offs just like anything else. Im on my second Krios and while I love the look and the weight I'd probably be happier with one of a few other helmets, but for the money I can't complain. I wear my Bell for strictly off-road riding and the Klim is my dual sport and ADV lid.
I decided that I may need both types, but I really need a DS/ADV helmet now more than an offroad helmet. The Krios Pro is supposed to solve some of the vent shortcomings of the Krios, and that's worth a little more money. I'd prefer Klim skipped the Transition lens and put that money into more refinement, particularly the visor attachment/pivot system, but I'm not running the K shop.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I decided that I may need both types, but I really need a DS/ADV helmet now more than an offroad helmet. The Krios Pro is supposed to solve some of the vent shortcomings of the Krios, and that's worth a little more money. I'd prefer Klim skipped the Transition lens and put that money into more refinement, particularly the visor attachment/pivot system, but I'm not running the K shop.

Yea, I usually have multiple helmets to suit my needs for the riding and conditions at hand. Klim is most likely to continue to focus on weight, visibility, and ventilation more so than safety features, durability, and functionality. If you want a refined ADV lid then Schuberth is the answer.

shade

Yea, I usually have multiple helmets to suit my needs for the riding and conditions at hand. Klim is most likely to continue to focus on weight, visibility, and ventilation more so than safety features, durability, and functionality. If you want a refined ADV lid then Schuberth is the answer.
Schuberth packs a lot into 4 lbs, but it's still 4 lbs. If Klim is smart, they'll use the E1 as a target for features, but still undercut it on weight. Koroyd looks like good safety tech. The major complaints with the Krios Pro seem to be the cheezy visor attachment more than anything else.

I hope Koroyd, MIPS, & 6D push safety to higher levels. The FIM standard seems to be a move in the right direction.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Some of your top tier helmets will have all of the whizbang safety features and some will focus on weight and ventilation, but few will ever do all of that because they can't all coexist. Lightweight isn't usually quiet, comfortable and well padded isn't usually light, well built and durable isn't usually cheap and licensed safety features aren't either. Klim isn't a helmet company, they are clothing company that makes and/or licenses helmets for the sake of capturing more market share from their already loyal customer base. I wouldn't look to Klim to be the leader in helmets, at least not anytime soon.

I like the Krios' I have/still own but there are better helmets out there. That said, I haven't had any issues with the visors and I find that complaint a little over blown. At the end of the day we all have different needs and desires when it comes to our brain buckets and there isn't any one right answer. I've owned helmets from Shoei, Arai, Klim, Suomi, HJC, Bell, Simpson, Scorpion, AGV, and Fly. They've all had their strengths but there hasn't been any one brand or model that comes close to being the best all around. A lot of these brands focus solely on hitting a price point and sadly for the large majority of riders their budget is all that matters. I ascribe to the philosophy of I can't put a price on my head so I try to buy the best that I can afford but looks, fit and features do matter when it comes time to purchase. I'd rather have someone wear a $99 Fly or HJC special than not have anything on at all

shade

I'll wear earplugs, so the volume of a light CF helmet won't be an issue. As long as the visor behaves, I think the Pro will be fine for me.

I read up on Klim's Euro sourced helmets. I doubt they'll jump into a new production arena as long as they can make money with it outsourced.

After reading a little on the FIM standard, that may help advance helmet safety & tech as buyers prove there's a demand for that rating outside of competition. The bicycle helmet market developed the same way. There will always be cheap helmets, but the tech is so much better today than when I was wearing a first gen Bell helmet 30 years ago.

Halligan

Adventurer
Any updates shade? I picked up my 450l a few days ago. Still waiting for the rest of my riding gear to arrive before I hit the dirt. I do have a helmet, gloves and boots so its neighborhood streets only for the next week or so.

I also dropped some coin on bike parts as well (seat, skid plate, rear rack, rack bag, hand guards, grips, throttle tube, tires) and will be tinkering with the bike once they arrive.

Even scheduled a few trips up to New Hampshire to do some riding so I'm pretty stoked. My bank account on the other hand, not so stoked.

shade

Any updates shade? I picked up my 450l a few days ago. Still waiting for the rest of my riding gear to arrive before I hit the dirt. I do have a helmet, gloves and boots so its neighborhood streets only for the next week or so.

I also dropped some coin on bike parts as well (seat, skid plate, rear rack, rack bag, hand guards, grips, throttle tube, tires) and will be tinkering with the bike once they arrive.

Even scheduled a few trips up to New Hampshire to do some riding so I'm pretty stoked. My bank account on the other hand, not so stoked.
Not really. Congratulations on the bike!

Just puttering around empty streets and parking lots a few times. I should have time this week to actually spend some time riding every day. I also need to get it registered. I zip tied the original temporary tag on it for now so I won't look like a goob on a dirt bike, but I don't think the 2018 date will hold up to much scrutiny. I have insurance, and that's what really matters.

My Seat Concepts order may arrive this week. It's been longer than the COVID-19 delay notice said it would be; I'm not going to bother them for at least another week.

I ordered a Klim Baja S4 jacket today. I knew that the Carlsbad would be too hot in the summer unless I was on the highway, and I know better than to ride in a T-shirt. I plan to add armor + jersey when I start riding more technical stuff where lower speeds and impact protection are more important than abrasion protection at road speeds.

I've been getting caught up on the big Thumper Talk thread. Interesting ideas about changing the fueling with some resistor work. Defeating the fuel cutoff on deceleration would be a step in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94