2019 G550 Overland Build - Completed w/ Pics

jeev

My 1st post so please excuse the length.

I recently decided to convert my G550, in both form & function, into an off roader/overlander/back-up daily driver. I've had a hard time finding parts for the W463a's 2019+ but Jack over at JackWagonOverlanding has been really helpful by verifying the compatibility and ordering the parts for me. As of today, the upgrades I have installed are:
  • Wheels & Tires
    • Black Rhino Trabuco Wheels
      • Matte Black Finish
      • Size 20 x 10
    • Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires
      • Size 33 x 12.50R20
    • H&R Spacers
      • Currently I have 30mm spacers installed but;
      • I have a set of the 50mm spacers on the way so I can compare them
      • It might be an optical illusion but I'd appreciate any input or past experience
      • Issue 1 (I will post some pictures to see what the general consensus is)
        • Advice or Suggestions are welcome
        • The front wheels don't seem to have the same wide stance of the rear wheels
        • Since I have the H&R 50mm spacers on order, I think I will have them installed on the front wheels first to check the offset
        • If it looks off, I will install the remaining 50mm spacers on the rear tires and see how they look
        • That said, has anyone ever seen this topic being brought up (i.e. does the width of the wheels narrow as one moves to the front)?
        • Also, has anyone used different sized spacers on the front and back wheels?
  • Lift Kit
    • 50mm
    • Coil Spring only
  • Rear Spare Tire
    • Full size spare
    • To fit on the stock spare tire mount, I had to have an adapter machined which has caused another problem
    • Issue 2
      • Advice or Suggestions are welcome
      • The base of the wheel is flush mounted against the rear door, thus;
      • The lid that covers the rear view camera doesn't have enough space to open

I have received but not installed the following other modifications:
  • Front Runner W463 Regular Rack
  • Front Runner Expedition Rail Kit
  • Front Runner Wind Fairing
  • 50" Rigid Midnight E Series LED bar
  • G-Raid Winch Mounting Kit (I think I am going to return it and get the LeTech Cable Winch Bumper w/ the Underride protection piece)
  • G-Raid Front Skid Plate
  • Front Runner Tool and recovery item mounts to attach to the
  • Roof Rack
Suggestions, comments, and advice are welcome and appreciated as I'm still a bit of a neophyte when it comes to over-landing (I've been 4x4 trail riding in the Rockies since I was able to drive but they were always 12 day excursions to get to remote fly fishing spots).

6.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

ITTOG

Welcome to the site. Or I guess it could be that you have been here for a while without posting.

Nice vehicle. For your first issue the easiest way to verify is measure from rim to rim on the inside, so under the vehicle. This is the best way to know if the wheels have a difference width. I have never heard of that on a vehicle but doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My guess, it is just an illusion due to the way the front of the vehicle narrows on the hood. Sorry but no input on the second issue.

Metric

Many vehicles have slightly wider front track widths than the rear. They do this for a number of reasons including turn radius improvements.

However, the G-Class has equivalent front and rear track widths (at least that's what they publish. I've never bothered to measure). For 2019 they claim 64.5 inches: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/20...rstResultIndex=0&sortOrder=PublishedAscending

Have you checked out https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/ ? They have started to produce more accessories for the new version of the 463.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
If you haven't had the spare adapter machined yet, I'd suggest having it made oblong with the two bolt circles offset enough to raise the wheel the necessary amount for the camera door to properly function (jealous... it is a PITA to align my hitch when I can't see it with the older high mount camera).

I believe the track width is an optical illusion since the front fender flares are wider to protect from rock ejection and spray when turning.

jeev

I have always liked the fact that they started out as a military vehicle and then slowly introduced them to the US market as Range Rover's only real competition. I drove a 4 runner (4 inch lift, 35" tires decked out with a brush guard/bumper/skid plate attachment from my senior year in HS until my junior year in college. For some reason, I bought a BMW 328 and then an M3 4 years later (didn't regret that one............the E46 Gen is still the best looking version in my opinion). That '04 M4 was the last time I bought a daily driver that wasn't an SUV. The 1st gen Range Rover Sorts came out in 2006 so I bought one immediately. I loved the look but the early generation Sports were built on the LR3 platform so I bought my first of 5 subsequent Range Rovers in 2006 (2006 RR HSE, 2010 RR HSE, 2013 RR HSE, 2014 LWB RR Supercharged, & 2018 RR SVAutobiography Dynamic). Point being, I was the Range Rover version of you until a few months ago. My wife got a 2019 G550 right after they came out. She loved it but we have 3 young kids so the lack of a 3rd row made her realize how necessary it was when you're carting around kids. I got her a Navigator and decided to take her G550 to work one day. I fell in love immediately. I'm very keen on outdoor activities namely 4x4 mountain trail exploring and fly fishing and I think Land Rover has decided to abandon the roots of the original Range Rover in favor of what I think is too aerodynamic for a proper 4wd vehicle. Granted, they're still capable off roaders but you've got to go back 2 generations if you want to do any sort of suspension modification or put on A/T Wheels. The fact that Mercedes went to an independent front suspension makes me think that they have no plans to abandon the G-Wagens original DNA. Anyway, sorry you had to read my life story but I was trying to emphasize the allegory. I've attached some pictures in chronological order (hopefully). I am waiting on one more major modification which is a LeTech winch bumper and skid plate.

Attachments

• a2019 G550 - Stock (2).png
    a2019 G550 - Stock (2).png
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
  • b2019 G550 - AT Tires (4).jpg
    b2019 G550 - AT Tires (4).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • b2019 G550 - AT Tires (5).jpg
    b2019 G550 - AT Tires (5).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
  • c2019 G550 - Lift Kit & AT Tires (9).jpg
    c2019 G550 - Lift Kit & AT Tires (9).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 156
  • c2019 G550 - Lift Kit & AT Tires (6).jpg
    c2019 G550 - Lift Kit & AT Tires (6).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 161
  • d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (1).jpg
    d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (1).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 183
  • d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (3).jpg
    d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (3).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 186
  • d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (4).jpg
    d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (4).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 213
  • d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (5).jpg
    d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (5).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 253
  • d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (7).jpg
    d2019 G550 - Overland Mod (7).jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 248

jeev

Many vehicles have slightly wider front track widths than the rear. They do this for a number of reasons including turn radius improvements.

However, the G-Class has equivalent front and rear track widths (at least that's what they publish. I've never bothered to measure). For 2019 they claim 64.5 inches: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/20...rstResultIndex=0&sortOrder=PublishedAscending

Have you checked out https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/ ? They have started to produce more accessories for the new version of the 463.
Yes, I have about 10 different sites bookmarked. I had a question about a product on JackWagon Overlanding and I was so impressed with his customer service that I told him if he was ok with it, I'd just send him an email with a link to any item I wanted and have him order it for me. I got call today from US Customs b/c the LeTech Bumper Winch setup I want had to be shipped from Germany.

jeev

If you haven't had the spare adapter machined yet, I'd suggest having it made oblong with the two bolt circles offset enough to raise the wheel the necessary amount for the camera door to properly function (jealous... it is a PITA to align my hitch when I can't see it with the older high mount camera).

I believe the track width is an optical illusion since the front fender flares are wider to protect from rock ejection and spray when turning.
Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can get another on made with the modification you suggested.

franticskwerrel

I didn't know they made that many things for W463A. Things like the LeTech I was only ever to find being sold on gwagenparts.com, which looks so shady that I didn't want to even have it in my browsing history.

nbutze

I didn't know they made that many things for W463A. Things like the LeTech I was only ever to find being sold on gwagenparts.com, which looks so shady that I didn't want to even have it in my browsing history.
To get LeTech parts you need to call LeTech USA aka Bill Rader Motorsports (where Gwagen parts gets their stuff) Bill Rader is an absolutely stand up guy and a truly wonderful company to do business with. Give him a call is best. http://www.billradermotorsports.net

jeev

Here is a list of the sites I use that have parts for G Class W463A model year 2019+. Once I have figured out what I want, I make a list then email it to Jack over at Jack Wagon Overlanding and have him order everything for me.

And FYI - LeTech is legit. They're up there with Brabus when it comes to G-Wagen tuning and aftermarket mods.

Attachments

• Picture11.jpg
    Picture11.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 98

Eric Edwards

Adventurer

They make a ton of aftermarket accessories for the G. Check out ORC and you be shocked. Le Tech is excellent gear. The problem is gwagonparts.com gouges you on everything. They just drop ship orders from vendors and then add a huge markup.

Freeb25

I have always liked the fact that they started out as a military vehicle and then slowly introduced them to the US market as Range Rover's only real competition. I drove a 4 runner (4 inch lift, 35" tires decked out with a brush guard/bumper/skid plate attachment from my senior year in HS until my junior year in college. For some reason, I bought a BMW 328 and then an M3 4 years later (didn't regret that one............the E46 Gen is still the best looking version in my opinion). That '04 M4 was the last time I bought a daily driver that wasn't an SUV. The 1st gen Range Rover Sorts came out in 2006 so I bought one immediately. I loved the look but the early generation Sports were built on the LR3 platform so I bought my first of 5 subsequent Range Rovers in 2006 (2006 RR HSE, 2010 RR HSE, 2013 RR HSE, 2014 LWB RR Supercharged, & 2018 RR SVAutobiography Dynamic). Point being, I was the Range Rover version of you until a few months ago. My wife got a 2019 G550 right after they came out. She loved it but we have 3 young kids so the lack of a 3rd row made her realize how necessary it was when you're carting around kids. I got her a Navigator and decided to take her G550 to work one day. I fell in love immediately. I'm very keen on outdoor activities namely 4x4 mountain trail exploring and fly fishing and I think Land Rover has decided to abandon the roots of the original Range Rover in favor of what I think is too aerodynamic for a proper 4wd vehicle. Granted, they're still capable off roaders but you've got to go back 2 generations if you want to do any sort of suspension modification or put on A/T Wheels. The fact that Mercedes went to an independent front suspension makes me think that they have no plans to abandon the G-Wagens original DNA. Anyway, sorry you had to read my life story but I was trying to emphasize the allegory. I've attached some pictures in chronological order (hopefully). I am waiting on one more major modification which is a LeTech winch bumper and skid plate.
Hey man love the ride I was wanting to do the same lift and size tires. I was wondering if you had any rubbing from the 33 inch tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles