2019 G550 Overland Build - Completed w/ Pics

Freeb25

I have always liked the fact that they started out as a military vehicle and then slowly introduced them to the US market as Range Rover's only real competition. I drove a 4 runner (4 inch lift, 35" tires decked out with a brush guard/bumper/skid plate attachment from my senior year in HS until my junior year in college. For some reason, I bought a BMW 328 and then an M3 4 years later (didn't regret that one............the E46 Gen is still the best looking version in my opinion). That '04 M4 was the last time I bought a daily driver that wasn't an SUV. The 1st gen Range Rover Sorts came out in 2006 so I bought one immediately. I loved the look but the early generation Sports were built on the LR3 platform so I bought my first of 5 subsequent Range Rovers in 2006 (2006 RR HSE, 2010 RR HSE, 2013 RR HSE, 2014 LWB RR Supercharged, & 2018 RR SVAutobiography Dynamic). Point being, I was the Range Rover version of you until a few months ago. My wife got a 2019 G550 right after they came out. She loved it but we have 3 young kids so the lack of a 3rd row made her realize how necessary it was when you're carting around kids. I got her a Navigator and decided to take her G550 to work one day. I fell in love immediately. I'm very keen on outdoor activities namely 4x4 mountain trail exploring and fly fishing and I think Land Rover has decided to abandon the roots of the original Range Rover in favor of what I think is too aerodynamic for a proper 4wd vehicle. Granted, they're still capable off roaders but you've got to go back 2 generations if you want to do any sort of suspension modification or put on A/T Wheels. The fact that Mercedes went to an independent front suspension makes me think that they have no plans to abandon the G-Wagens original DNA. Anyway, sorry you had to read my life story but I was trying to emphasize the allegory. I've attached some pictures in chronological order (hopefully). I am waiting on one more major modification which is a LeTech winch bumper and skid plate.
Hey man love the ride I was wanting to do the same lift and size tires. I was wondering if you had any rubbing from the 33 inch tires?

jeev

Hey man love the ride I was wanting to do the same lift and size tires. I was wondering if you had any rubbing from the 33 inch tires?
Originally there was a little bit when I reversed with the steering wheel turned fully to the right. We fixed that w/o having to cut into the wells. Occasionaly when the front wheels are articulated at a particular angle, there is a little rub but it doesn't really bother me. Side Note: I have H&R Spacers (30mm) and the offset on my wheels is +35. I would imagine you could eliminate the rub altogether with a different offset.

mightymo

Observer
Good information and clean ride. I have 33s, and experience a bit of rub. I was wondering if the 30mm spacers would help alleviate that. Seems like it helped?

jeev

Good information and clean ride. I have 33s, and experience a bit of rub. I was wondering if the 30mm spacers would help alleviate that. Seems like it helped?
Honestly I couldn't tell you because I had the 33's and the spacers put on at the same time.

38snubby

IMHO I probably wouldn't run 20" rims on an overland build. Not a lot to work with if you air down or need to use that sidewall.
I agree with you, and I am thinking of buying a G550 but I would want to downsize to an 18" wheel if I did. It would be nice if there was a nice set of icon wheels that could fit this vehicle.

jeev

I agree with you, and I am thinking of buying a G550 but I would want to downsize to an 18" wheel if I did. It would be nice if there was a nice set of icon wheels that could fit this vehicle.
My G550 is also my daily driver which is why I have the larger rims. Plus, I am more of a "weekend overlander" so I've never needed anything more than a jack, a tire repair kit, and/or a spare. That said, if you're going to take on trails where you're going to be back country for days or weeks at a time and your vehicle is the only thing you're relying on, I'd recommend 16" to 18" beadlocks. A good option in 16" are Hutchinson Rock Monster 1873 or the Rock Monster 2059 if you want 18's.

Unrelated: So I finished doing all the upgrades to my G-Wagen. What's the general rule of thumb in this situation............create a new post or just adding final pictures to this thread?
post?

jeev

Here is the finished product. Additions and modifications listed below.

• 2019 Mercedes G550
    • Purchased new January 2019
    • Selenite Grey
  • Lift Kit
    • 50mm
    • Coil Spring only
  • Rear Spare Tire
    • Full size spare
    • To fit on the stock spare tire mount, I had to have an adapter machined which has caused another problem
  • Wheels & Tires
    • Black Rhino Trabuco Wheels
      • Matte Black Finish
      • Size 20 x 10
    • Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires
      • Size 33 x 12.50R20
    • H&R Spacers
      • 30mm
  • Front Runner W463 Regular Rack
  • Front Runner Expedition Rail Kit
  • Front Runner Wind Fairing
  • Front Runner Rack Accessories
    • Axe Bracket
    • Hi Lift Jack Bracket
    • Shovel Mount
    • Maxtrax Mounts
  • Rotopax 1.75 Gallon Mounting Kit & Jerry Cans x 2
  • 50" Rigid Midnight E Series LED bar
  • Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
  • LeTech Winch Mounting Kit
  • LeTech Front Skid Plate
2019 Mercedes G550 (33).jpg2019 Mercedes G550 (32).jpg2019 Mercedes G550 (28).jpg2019 Mercedes G550 (30).jpg2019 Mercedes G550 (31).jpg

38snubby

My G550 is also my daily driver which is why I have the larger rims. Plus, I am more of a "weekend overlander" so I've never needed anything more than a jack, a tire repair kit, and/or a spare. That said, if you're going to take on trails where you're going to be back country for days or weeks at a time and your vehicle is the only thing you're relying on, I'd recommend 16" to 18" beadlocks. A good option in 16" are Hutchinson Rock Monster 1873 or the Rock Monster 2059 if you want 18's.

Unrelated: So I finished doing all the upgrades to my G-Wagen. What's the general rule of thumb in this situation............create a new post or just adding final pictures to this thread?
post?
Thanks for the info. Your rig looks great. I love that front winch bumper.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
by Ted Simon
From $17.54
Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
by Tim Slessor
From $13.4
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99