2019 Fuso FG Gas Truck 4x4 Option?

erstwild

I've been on the fence about getting a FUSO as the base vehicle for my new expedition camper (mostly due to post-2007 diesel emissions system problem and transmission issues). Yesterday, I found out that they are making a gas engine version now for the 2019 model year which is also supposed be cheaper:

http://www.mitfuso.com/en-us/models/gas-truck

Does anyone here know anything about these? Is 4x4 an option? GM V8 6.0 Liter Engine, Allison 6 speed transmission, Assembled by Freightliner in US. Sounds good.

Last edited:

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Just between you and me ....
EarthCruiser and FUSO have been in talks for some time about the V8 chassis. There are some very significant issues (not so much mechanical, more to do with compliance and saftey) to overcome before we can get serious.
That said I am told we our get the first chassis in May to start to play with, worst case we get a fun delivery truck. :)

erstwild

Just between you and me ....
EarthCruiser and FUSO have been in talks for some time about the V8 chassis. There are some very significant issues (not so much mechanical, more to do with compliance and saftey) to overcome before we can get serious.
That said I am told we our get the first chassis in May to start to play with, worst case we get a fun delivery truck. :)

Wow...that does not exactly inspire confidence. So you wouldn't recommend just buying one and dropping a prefab 13' Total Composites box on the back at the moment, lol? I'm not planning on "pushing the limit" offroad, but a big comfortable 4x4 camper. It does sounds like 4x4 is an option though if EarthCruiser is taking a look I can conclude?

lanceatm

They are not going to build a 4x4 x factory , it will have to be a converted to 4x4. Changes to gearing mean changes to emission compliance certification, in particular California.

erstwild

They are not going to build a 4x4 x factory , it will have to be a converted to 4x4. Changes to gearing mean changes to emission compliance certification, in particular California.

Ahh, that is quite a gotcha there. I'll skip this option if it would require a further aftermarket 4x4 conversion. Thanks for saving me a lot of time!

weissbrewer

Observer
what will it take to get Hino to bring in the 300 4x4 to the us? Seems like they are missing a bunch of sales that Domestic full size trucks are taking from landscapers/snow contractors

lanceatm

One would think Isuzu would have a NPS in the brochure, they have great market share in the light cab over trucks in North America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles