2019 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab LWB weekend adventure truck build

random

Observer
Take care when mounting rear view cameras. Some fool mounted the one on my work truck shell a half inch below the third brake light. No problem in daylight, but at night the brake light flares out the camera to the point you can't see anything.

moderndaynorseman

Take care when mounting rear view cameras. Some fool mounted the one on my work truck shell a half inch below the third brake light. No problem in daylight, but at night the brake light flares out the camera to the point you can't see anything.

I've seen rear view cameras that are built into a third brake light, so I wonder if they'd have the same issue. I was planning on getting this one when I get around to a new canopy.

random

Observer
Sounds like you need a duct-tape blinder slapped on there real quick!
That happened the very first time I backed it up in the dark, only marginally effective. I need to make something out of sheet metal. Or, just gripe about it until they retire the truck.
I've seen rear view cameras that are built into a third brake light, so I wonder if they'd have the same issue. I was planning on getting this one when I get around to a new canopy.
Mine is a very fisheye type lense and it is mounted 1/2" below the LED third brake light, which sticks out 3/4". I'd imagine the folks building them into lights put a little more thought into it than the folks who installed this shell. All our other trucks have the camera in the bumper.

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
I have front and rear windows on my ovrlnd. I can see pretty decently out the back, plus they let more light in when in camper mode. just my 2c
I hear ya, I think the barn door windows with the blocked center won't be super useful. The hatch window wouldn't be bad. I'll probably mock it up in cardboard and see what it looks like from the drivers seat. I can always add windows later myself too if I want more light.

sideburns

When I get around to ordering a new canopy to replace the one I've got right now (going with an aluminum ARE topper with a full height hatchback rear door and full length side doors, no windows to save cost), an always on rear view cam is going in place of the mirror and I'll get some tow mirrors at the same time to help out with side visibility as well.

The topper I have right now already cuts out a lot of visible area even with front, back, and side windows, so I figure a good camera will actually give more visibility than a full set of windows. If you wanted to go super high tech, you could even install some more cameras on the sides to cover your blind spots.
I'm looking at two headunits that offer 4 camera support. Wish there were better(1080P or better refresh rate) cameras available, and headunits with higher resolution too. There are a couple cameras out there, but they're 20x the cost of standard backup cameras and barely better than the 480p or 720p cameras when you hook them up with standard RCA hookups. Might look into doing a full custom setup with an 8-10" tablet and a security camera for rear view and two sideview cameras. Would be pretty awesome.

moderndaynorseman

I feel you on the low image quality from the cheaper options out there. Kind of surprising when you can get 1080p dash cams just about anywhere for dirt cheap these days.

sideburns

I swear I made a post covering this stuff last week... But:unsure:

Picked up some Trail Ridge Tow mirrors, w/Power and Heat. NIB craigslist find. My truck didn't come with heat, so the plugs didn't fit. So I put the stock plugs on them and wired in two extra wires for heat. Haven't decided where to put the switch yet, so it's just sitting in the glovebox loose for now. Love mirrors that don't fog immediately after I've scraped the frost off them. Bigger mirrors and wide angle mirrors are nice too. I don't love how they look, but there aren't any other mirror options out there.

Got the switch panel housing in place, and the switches wired, but I need to tap into the trucks wiring and choose where to go through the firewall and where to put the fuse box. It's cold and I'm being indecisive about it.

Got a Fumoto oil drain valve to install, the new style where it rotates and uses orings.

Ordered some driving lights from Diode Dynamics, their SS3 Pro SAE Driving with clear lens. Was going to wait for new LED Morimoto headlights, but decided I can always sell these or swap lenses to turn them into floods if they aren't needed anymore.

Got to test out ABLS a bit in the snow. Works well for when I get just a little crossed up on very articulated bits, but isn't much use when I lose traction in deep snow as it has to lose momentum before working. Also works good when I drop two tires in a ditch or deep snow while passing other vehicles, lets it climb out using traction of the tires still on the road. Still going to want at least a rear locker. Probably pick one up after I get the camper.

Been getting about 11-13mpg around town this winter, been warming it up for 5-10min in the morning before my 8-10min commute, so that's killing it a lot, was getting 14-15mpg before it got cold out. Been getting 16-17mpg on 70mph highway driving. Should be okay with that, hopefully the camper doesn't drop it too much, or I'll need a bigger fuel tank. Really like to stay around 250mi highway range(14mpg x 19gal). I think I could get away with that and a single jerry can. I think if I can't get at least 14mpg highway I'll probably be getting a bigger tank. Not super worried about the camper killing <45mph fuel economy, so range when I'm in the backcountry should be similar.

checking in after some time with the lift: Have you had any coil bucket contact with the combination of the top spacer and the ADO springs?

sideburns

checking in after some time with the lift: Have you had any coil bucket contact with the combination of the top spacer and the ADO springs?
No, but I am running the Mevotech(SPC duplicate) UCA which has extra clearance and 5100s have internal bumpstops so they don't allow enough droop to make these hit.

sideburns

Here are a couple of month old photos from a "winter" adventure, usually I'd be stopped by deep snow on this road at 2000' elevation by December, Feb 1st I was able to get up to 5000' before encountering some 4' drifts that stopped me. Shows what the mirrors look like pretty well. So far I like them, nice having heated mirrors and wide angle mirrors. Wish they didn't stick out quite so far when retracted, but should be nice once I get my OVRLND camper.

Which is now expected in mid/late May! Settled on dual flip up side hatches, Maxxfan reversible roof fan, vinyl layer on tent windows, full height barn doors, lift struts, and an extra 2" on the cabover height(10" deep). Skipping windows to save weight, along with deleting the tailgate should help keep my weight manageable.

Got my Fumoto F103SX installed today when I did my oil/filter change. Sticks down about 1/2" below the pan same as the F133 original style, but now they use o-rings to seal and you can clock them for a better fit and keeps the nipple to the side. Should make draining once I have skid plates much easier.

Have almost 4000 miles on the Toyo Open Country A/T III tires, noise is unchanged, noticeable at highway speeds but not annoying. Still great on wet roads, fresh snow, driven on snow, and wet slushy snow, but not great on ice. If you have persistent snow on your roads that turns to ice, get them siped or a dedicated winter tire. Rotated them today, wear is almost unmeasurable(1/32" compared to the unused spare tire) from new and wearing nice and even, should get 40-50k out of them if I run them down to legal limit, I'll probably replace them at 50% though for better snow and mud traction. Wish Frontiers supported 5 TPMS sensors so I could do a 5 wheel rotation easily, not worth it with having to move a sensor or re-calibrate them when doing rotations.

Can't wait to go explore Arizona and Utah when I go pickup my camper. Hopefully I can take two or three weeks off and pick up the camper on day 3. Leaving tons of time to test it out.

May do a full time review mirror setup with a raspberry pi, like what everlanders have for their truck. Just gotta decide on how to mount it. Otherwise a Fullview FVMR-1100 or 1150 looks okay, if a bit spendy.
20210201_132849.jpgIMG_20210201_184136_512.jpg20210201_133650.jpg20210301_130316.jpg

(none)

Adventurer
Great looking truck, hope you are enjoying it. Don't see too many Frontiers with the ARB front bumper, but i love the look, even though it does stick out a bit far. I've gone down a very similar road on my '17 Pro4X. 17" wheels with 255/75s (sometimes wish i went with the 80s...). I ended up with OME heavies front and rear, recently added firestone airbags with cradles in the back. Liking all of that so far.

You mention rear bumpers in your first post... Not many people run the ARB rear. I do and although it's nice, i wouldn't get it again if i knew what i do now. The side and under protection is nice. The filler plate for under the tailgate is extra, but a good place to add lights and the trailer plug, but what i really don't like is how low it sits and the vertical metal on both sides of the receiver bend as soon as they touch anything. Other than that, its very functional. Hitch works well, the step part of the bumper is very handy.

Also i've had no issues running my Dometic fridge, charging system handles it great. Although i'm still on the stock wimpy battery though.

50994226623_0ce0176b49_k.jpg

50331595771_3d17a62196_k.jpg

31312624128_8226d59fbf_k.jpg

sideburns

You mention rear bumpers in your first post... Not many people run the ARB rear. I do and although it's nice, i wouldn't get it again if i knew what i do now. The side and under protection is nice. The filler plate for under the tailgate is extra, but a good place to add lights and the trailer plug, but what i really don't like is how low it sits and the vertical metal on both sides of the receiver bend as soon as they touch anything. Other than that, its very functional. Hitch works well, the step part of the bumper is very handy.

Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards a Shrockworks bumper/Rigd swingout or Coastal Offroad rear bumper with swingout, depending on if I want to get my spare tire up out of the way to make room for a water tank. Going to be a bit before I do a rear bumper, probably do camper, headlights, camper buildout, solar, then decide if I need the spare tire location for a water tank. Before I spend $2000 on rear bumper setup mainly to get my spare tire out of the way and my hitch 2" higher. If I leave my spare I can just get the Shrockworks and call it good. Otherwise I'll need a carrier.

paulforeman

Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards a Shrockworks bumper/Rigd swingout or Coastal Offroad rear bumper with swingout, depending on if I want to get my spare tire up out of the way to make room for a water tank. Going to be a bit before I do a rear bumper, probably do camper, headlights, camper buildout, solar, then decide if I need the spare tire location for a water tank. Before I spend $2000 on rear bumper setup mainly to get my spare tire out of the way and my hitch 2" higher. If I leave my spare I can just get the Shrockworks and call it good. Otherwise I'll need a carrier.
The camper is going to be awesome! I just built a Coastal front bumper and have a Shrockworks on the rear - both are awesome products. The powder coating on the Shrockworks is awesome; super durable and best quality I've seen. Looking forward to seeing what route you go for the rear end!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94