2019 Ford Transit van built my way. Dead simple.

rruff

Explorer
Eventually, I would love to install the Foes 2” lift kit.

Ya, just thinking of the places I went with my old 2wd Toyota truck. It never let me down, but the bottom of it was full of dents (including the oil pan and gas tank). A little extra clearance is definitely nice. With 2wd you can't really crawl through the rough stuff.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Ya, just thinking of the places I went with my old 2wd Toyota truck. It never let me down, but the bottom of it was full of dents (including the oil pan and gas tank). A little extra clearance is definitely nice. With 2wd you can't really crawl through the rough stuff.

You can’t really crawl, that is true, but on my van, I can use the park brake to balance out the power between the rear wheels. The other thing I did was get the 4.10 differential so the finals drive would be lower. It does make a difference off-road but I notice it even more on the hills where it has the power without screaming the engine. The funny thing is, the car salesman discouraged me greatly from getting that gear ration. He said I’d drive slower and have worse fuel mileage. He was wrong and I knew he was. So I can go as fast as I like on the highway, but most of the small highways and backroads I’m only going 80KPH (50ish MPH). At those speeds I’m getting 22mpg which is very respectable!

rruff

Explorer
The other thing I did was get the 4.10 differential so the finals drive would be lower.

I think most vehicles are geared too high these days. Just for fun I've been looking at the Quigley 4wd conversions for the Transit and even with your engine they use 3.73 for some reason. 22mpg is great!.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I think most vehicles are geared too high these days. Just for fun I've been looking at the Quigley 4wd conversions for the Transit and even with your engine they use 3.73 for some reason. 22mpg is great!.

It’s all in an effort to get better fuel mileage at highway speeds. The truth is, you’re still driving a van, not a race car. Even the ecoboost struggles to get fuel mileage like that.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
So one of the final things I had built for the van, was rear rack. I did a trip to Tuktoyaktuk this summer and wanted to carry the Jerry cans outside the van. This seemed like the cheapest, most manageable option for now.

996D4832-E78C-4EAB-A066-00B68861D655.jpeg8389D1F9-3455-4579-8C6E-2F4487CE2E75.jpeg

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Other things to mention for now.
The factory tire size was 235/65R16 which is a 28” tire. I increased the diameter to 29” with a 225/75R16. I got a Toyo Open country ATII on the recommendation of a very experienced tire guy. I was a tire guy at the start of my automotive trades career which turned into me becoming a certified automotive technician so while I can give a very educated guess on what’s going to go the distance I’ll always way the options against a professional. Jason at OK tire in Campbell River gave me the advice this time and it lined up with what I was already thinking. On my trip up North which included 1800kms of a dirt highway, I did not experience a single flat tire. Tire pressures played a roll in that though.. get it... roll.

So interior stuff. The factory Ford Lights so great for lighting up the interior but because they’re on a timer, they shut off after awhile. I have not figured out a solution that I like yet so I’ve been using a couple battery powered LED lights for now. They actually work great!

I did install a fantastic fan into the roof and ran it off an auxiliary battery, mounted behind the drivers seat and charged entirely by the solar panel. There is also a battery charger that plugs into “shore power” to keep it topped up if there’s no sun. Future plans is a little more solar power and also having the battery charge off the engine too.

I have a dometic Fridge. For now it’s plugged into the power source on the van. The Body control module systematically shuts everything down, including the power sources after about a half hour. I find I do enough driving to keep the fridge cold enough to last the night.

Water tanks, holding tanks, sinks and pumps. No. I’ll have not of that. Its so easy to start getting overly creative with these ideas that you spend a lot of money. I chose a space saver folding bin, and two 5 gallon water jugs. When I’m parked, I lift the one jug up to the top of the one cabinet, and that’s my running water. It’s simple, and at the end of the day, the counter isn’t cluttered with a permanent sink. The water gets disposed of appropriately and I use biodegradable soap. future growth in this Area of the van is yet to be decided.

Lastly, I’m working on a roof rack design along with a ladder that attaches to the right side rear door. On the left door will be another rack to hold an extra spare tire and two jerry cans. The hitch rack in the previous post is going to be used for my dirtbike when I feel the need to bring it along

1x1_Speed_Craig

The floor was done differently then I’ve seen anyone else do it...

View attachment 546658

Nice work with the simple approach to the van. I took a similar "different" approach to the floor on my 2019 Transit (148" MR). I filled the gaps between the ribs with 1/2" XPS foam, used 1/4" XPS on top of the ribs to level it out, and added 1/4" EZ-Cool on top of the XPS. I then installed 8mm luxury vinyl plank (floating) flooring directly on top of the EZ-Cool. The flooring we used (COREtec Plus 5") has great structural rigidity, so I skipped the plywood all-together to keep things light, and also maintain headroom (I'm 6' 0").

Craig

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94