2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

erstwild

Pretty cool to see more small American made trucks, although I detest ford vehicles, since I manage a fleet of them.

Interesting. As a fleet manager, I would appreciate your input. What do you think is generally better? I’m looking for something with a circa 3000 lb payload for a camper. I’ve been tending towards a base regular cab F-250 with the 6.2L gas engine. I’ve heard ford diesels are a mixed bag.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Base ccsb SD is 3100#. So consider a 350. A Camplite 6.8 is 2800#. I guess it'll work with a 250 and some more spring, but you'll be over sticker, as usual.

The diesel costs you 1000#. Upscale option packs are quite heavy as well. All of those cameras and butt massagers add up. A diesel 350 plat is hardly any better than a gas 250.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
Ah. Wasn't clear what you meant. Well you can get a super cab with the rear seat deleted (factory option). I know it isn't the same.

Another thing that was surprising to me, the locking rear diff seems to be an option on any configuration. So you can buy the XL 4x2 w/locking rear diff. Seems to be that every other manufacturer has you buy their super duper off road version before you can get a locker.

erstwild

Base ccsb SD is 3100#. So consider a 350. A Camplite 6.8 is 2800#. I guess it'll work with a 250 and some more spring, but you'll be over sticker, as usual.

The diesel costs you 1000#. Upscale option packs are quite heavy as well. All of those cameras and butt massagers add up. A diesel 350 plat is hardly any better than a gas 250.

Good points indeed. The camper shell I’m planning on picking up and lightly outfitting only weighs 850 lbs empty, so I think I would be in the clear with a gas F250.

Explorerinil

Observer
Interesting. As a fleet manager, I would appreciate your input. What do you think is generally better? I’m looking for something with a circa 3000 lb payload for a camper. I’ve been tending towards a base regular cab F-250 with the 6.2L gas engine. I’ve heard ford diesels are a mixed bag.
The fleet I manage is all fords and all police vehicles ranging from explorers, Taurus, f150. I do communicate with the person that manages a road maintenance fleet, again all fords and trucks. We buy fords and many government fleets do because ford will sell their government fleet products at at extremely reduced price. I currrently have a 2017 expoloer with 9k, it’s on it’s 3rd battery, 2nd water pump, new wireing for the turn signals, new brakes and it rattles and clangs like a 30 year old vehicle. I can go down the list of problems we have had with fairly new vehicles that would surprise you. As far as the f250 and f350, the newer 2011 plus have been reliable, prior to that they were riddled with problems. The new 6.2 and 6.7 have been very good, the early 6.7 has a few issues, but according to the mechanic, fords are a total pain in the ass to work on. They had a 98 dodge 3500 cummins they just got rid of, he was pissed, said it was the last problem free truck that was easy to service, still has its original trans.

I would consider a f250 with the 6.2 or even the 6.7... but don’t plan on working on that yourself.

For a small truck, Nissan or Toyota.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The fleet I manage is all fords and all police vehicles ranging from explorers, Taurus, f150. I do communicate with the person that manages a road maintenance fleet, again all fords and trucks. We buy fords and many government fleets do because ford will sell their government fleet products at at extremely reduced price. I currrently have a 2017 expoloer with 9k, it’s on it’s 3rd battery, 2nd water pump, new wireing for the turn signals, new brakes and it rattles and clangs like a 30 year old vehicle. I can go down the list of problems we have had with fairly new vehicles that would surprise you. As far as the f250 and f350, the newer 2011 plus have been reliable, prior to that they were riddled with problems. The new 6.2 and 6.7 have been very good, the early 6.7 has a few issues, but according to the mechanic, fords are a total pain in the ass to work on. They had a 98 dodge 3500 cummins they just got rid of, he was pissed, said it was the last problem free truck that was easy to service, still has its original trans.

I would consider a f250 with the 6.2 or even the 6.7... but don’t plan on working on that yourself.

For a small truck, Nissan or Toyota.

+100. That's my experience as well.

Ford always offers a few terrible disposable vehicles, because that's what people want. Taurus, Topaz, Tempo, Ranger, Econoline, Exploder. Yep, the Explorers have never been anything I'd call good.

Fords drivetrain and suspension is cake, but interior, dash, engine are all harder to repair than GM and Dodge. Dodge is kinda easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles