2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

nater

Adventurer
I cant tell you how many times I have made that mistake when configuring my 2019 PW (should be here next week!)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I thought Ram dropped the G56 for 2019.

I believe the irony here is that a decade ago manuals could handle more power than an automatic but that flipped recently and engines exceeded the clutch holding capacity. There just aren't enough sticks being sold to justify scaling big truck designs down to medium duty.

Also used to be that manuals were better on gas than autos. That changed as well...

nickw

Adventurer
I thought Ram dropped the G56 for 2019.

I believe the irony here is that a decade ago manuals could handle more power than an automatic but that flipped recently and engines exceeded the clutch holding capacity. There just aren't enough sticks being sold to justify scaling big truck designs down to medium duty.
It's a concern for hi-perf cars too. The clutch holding pressure required to tame 700+ HP is STIFF, resulting in poor pedal feel. Some OEM's have gotten around that by using some sort of power assist (I believe it was Lambo), which was complicated and $$. They gave up and said screw it, you get a better performing, faster shifting, "auto", deal with it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's a concern for hi-perf cars too. The clutch holding pressure required to tame 700+ HP is STIFF, resulting in poor pedal feel. Some OEM's have gotten around that by using some sort of power assist (I believe it was Lambo), which was complicated and $$. They gave up and said screw it, you get a better performing, faster shifting, "auto", deal with it.
Indeed, dual clutches were/are used for example. But the cost/benefit/marketing clearly does not favor adapting even existing technology, forget anything novel, to mass market vehicles.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If the clutches inside an auto trans hold, we can make a dry clutch that's similar. Or make a large multiplate WET clutch like bikes have. I think my Ducati has a dozen clutch plates.

There's plenty of high horsepower and torque clutches out there. Top fuel dragsters have no transmission. They slip a clutch nearly all the way down the track.

Dual clutch semi auto transmissions are a different thing entirely. Shifting from 1st to second super quickly in a race car runs the risk of engaging both gears at the same time.

Essentially throwing the trans into a bastard version of reverse and blowing it to smithereens. Or locking it up, and then blowing up just the same. A dual clutch semi auto is actually two entire transmissions and clutches. One inside the other like a Russian doll. Trans 1 grabs 1st, then trans 2 grabs 2nd gear, then trans 1 grabs 3rd and so on. If there's any error, hopefully clutch engagement soaks it up.

See:
dual-clutch-transmission-13.gif

It's unlikely that you'll see any such tech in a 4x4 truck. Those companies don't have the class or competence to pull it off. That's why 4 auto systems automatically engage the front axle willy nilly. Which is stupid, instead of just switching to part time 4wd, and unlocking a simple diff in the xfer case for TRUE AWD. if they can't figure that one out, semi auto dual clutch electronic manual transmissions are way beyond them.

And yes, controlling a auto slushbox with paddle shifters is nowhere near as nice as a semiauto manual. That's junk as well.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

If the clutches inside an auto trans hold, we can make a dry clutch that's similar. Or make a large multiplate WET clutch like bikes have. I think my Ducati has a dozen clutch plates.

There's plenty of high horsepower and torque clutches out there. Top fuel dragsters have no transmission. They slip a clutch nearly all the way down the track.

Dual clutch semi auto transmissions are a different thing entirely. Shifting from 1st to second super quickly in a race car runs the risk of engaging both gears at the same time. Essentially throwing the trans into a bastard version of reverse and blowing it to smithereens. Or locking it up, and then blowing up just the same. A dual clutch semi auto is actually two entire transmissions and clutches. One inside the other like a Russian doll. Trans 1 grabs 1st, then trans 2 grabs 2nd gear, then trans 1 grabs 3rd and so on. If there's any error, hopefully clutch engagement soaks it up.

See:
dual-clutch-transmission-13.gif
I wasn't thinking about dual-clutch transmissions, but dry clutches with a pair of rings that replace a single faced friction disk and pressure plate.

No matter how we parse it the traditional clutch and transmission had a good run and the next step had to be a hybrid. Honestly as much as I like rowing gears mechanically there's no reason not to use an automatic or hybrid. It's more a user interface to me, being solely in control instead of being another variable the drivetrain controller is using.

There is just no economic reason to bother adapting any of it to a passenger vehicle or truck is my point.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That still looks alot like a dual clutch.

Multi disk clutch:

108286d1333731111-help-dry-clutch-screen-shot-2012-04-06-9.49.20-am.png

With hydralic master cylinder, regular olde manuals can still work fine.

Generally, those dry plates, have a little play. Sometimes they can get grabby if one tweaks on the shaft a bit. (or in the above pic ''basket'') Using that design wet, solves that mostly.

DaveInDenver

That still looks alot like a dual clutch.

Multi disk clutch:

108286d1333731111-help-dry-clutch-screen-shot-2012-04-06-9.49.20-am.png

With hydralic master cylinder, regular olde manuals can still work fine.

Generally, those dry plates, have a little play. Sometimes they can get grabby if one tweaks on the shaft a bit. (or in the above pic ''basket'') Using that design wet, solves that mostly.
You are very likely the subject matter expert, I don't keep up with all the comings and goings. I hear things about modified clutches and girdles for NV5600 and G56 but I have zero first hand or anecdotal experience to draw on.

This is what I picture a dual acting clutch looking like, from a Porsche, but I can see the alternating in the one I posted, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior