2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Alright found them and I’m continually more impressed with the Chevy.

Ford Ranger
Supercab 4x2 1860
Supercab 4x4 1650
Supercrew 4x2 1770
Supercrew 4x4 1560

Chevy Colorado
Z71 4x2 extended cab long box 1510
Z71 4x2 crew cab short box 1503
Z71 4x2 crew cab long box 1609
Z71 4x4 extended cab long box 1472
Z71 4x4 crew cab short box 1619
Z71 4x4 crew cab long box 1805
Zr2 4x4 extended cab 1607
Zr2 4x4 crew cab 1503

Tacoma abysmal as noted before.

Assuming all of us about going to ignore the 2wd trucks....the most direct comparison of the supercrew 4x4 ford packs 57 more lbs of payload than the zr2 and the zr2 comes with 57 more lbs of bumpers, skid plates, and sliders. The supercab ford 4x4 has 43 more lbs of payload. I’d say the zr2 is miles ahead of that fx4 package so let’s compare the z71 which is probably more comparable anyway, supercab has 178 on the Chevy. Fair. The supercrew has 59 LESS lbs of payload than the z71 shortbox crew cab. And if you want a long box to sleep out of or carry more gear, you get an extra 245 lbs to work with in the Chevy. Or 55 less lbs that the max the ford offers but 2 more seats.

Last edited:

Fullkontact

looks like Tacoma holds its value much better then anything else in class. personally I have looked at all 3 and ZR2 would be my choice if I were going this route. Buddy is a tech in a large Ford dealership for 38 years and he said after seeing them all day long they don't do much for him but he did say they are selling the crap out of them.
Well at least ford is selling them. That’s good. I was surprised to see the release the ranger again but it’s great for competition. I have a few friends who drive older versions and they swear by them. I wonder if dodge will come back with the dodge Dakota in the future....?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I wonder if they will have some sort of solar charging kit for those trucks but then again you would probably need more power than what a little solar panel and produce to ramp it back up.
Portable solar charging for an EV is impossible at this point, as in it would take several weeks to charge from a single trip.

Just to put numbers to it, let's say it requires 180 kW-hr to go 400 miles. That means a 200 watt solar panel will take 900 hours of ideal sun to return the energy. Charging stations for vehicles are on the order of 72 kW, e.g. 72,000 watts.

Now realistically for traveling backcountry you wouldn't need to recharge in 30 minutes so you could get by with perhaps 8 hours, which would then only require around about 25,000 watts of solar.

Even a gasoline generator, say a 2 kW, would take a few days to recharge you.

For comparison a gallon of gasoline contains about 33.5 kW-hr of energy. So a 5 gallon jerry is about 167.5 kW-hr. Those are ideal numbers, an internal combustion engine is fairly inefficient at converting energy from gasoline.

Last edited:

Fullkontact

Portable solar charging for an EV is impossible at this point, as in it would take several weeks to charge from a single trip.

Just to put numbers to it, let's say it requires 180 kW-hr to go 400 miles. That means a 200 watt solar panel will take 900 hours of ideal sun to return the energy. Charging stations for vehicles are on the order of 72 kW, e.g. 72,000 watts.

Now realistically for traveling backcountry you wouldn't need to recharge in 30 minutes so you could get by with perhaps 8 hours, which would then only require around about 25,000 watts of solar.

Even a gasoline generator, say a 2 kW, would take a few days to recharge you.

For comparison a gallon of gasoline contains about 33.5 kW-hr of energy. So a 5 gallon jerry is the about 167.5 kW-hr.
I assumed it would be near impossible to get a good charge with solar. The tech just isn’t there quite yet. However when the rivians do come out I would like to check one out. Most of my trips are over 3-4 day weekends only and maybe a couple hundred miles if that. I’d be interested for sure especially as a daily driver considering I drive 67 miles one way to get to work

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I assumed it would be near impossible to get a good charge with solar. The tech just isn’t there quite yet. However when the rivians do come out I would like to check one out. Most of my trips are over 3-4 day weekends only and maybe a couple hundred miles if that. I’d be interested for sure especially as a daily driver considering I drive 67 miles one way to get to work
EVs work well as long as there's infrastructure to leverage. I think hybrids are more practical and will be for the foreseeable future for traveling away from civilization. Honestly the railroads figured it out decades ago. A diesel hybrid 4wd would be almost ideal. Perhaps technology will improve but there's also laws in physics that we don't yet know how to break.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was saying in general to the new ford ranger. Personally I guess I’m not a fan especially when Chevy released the ZR2 amd Toyota still holds the line with their tacos
I would say the Ranger FX4 is more meant as a competitor to the Z71 and TRD off road packages. And I think it holds up well to them. I will agree maybe not as capable as a ZR2 / Bison or TRD Pro. But, it is not meant to be and is about $15,000 cheaper than those trucks here.

If they do come out with a Ranger Raptor i'm sure it will be priced equivalently and will perform equivalently to a TRD Pro / ZR2..

nickw

Adventurer
So the Ranger payload I've seen tossed around is about 1800. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the zr2 has poor payload though. According to the spec sheet the ZR2 has a payload of 1503 lbs. The Z71 shortbed which is probably closer in line with the Ranger is spec'd at 1619 and the Z71 long bed which gives the ability to sleep in the back as it's roughly the length of a full size bed is 1805 - the same as the Ranger number I've seen though there isn't a spec sheet I can quickly find at Ford.com.

For comparison the Tacoma Off Road short bed is spec'd at 1175, the Off Road Long Bed is spec'd at 1120, and the Pro at 1175. The chevy looks pretty good on paper honestly.

The forum isn't letting me upload screenshots because files can't be written to the server for some reason but either way you can check those out if you wish.
I guess I was looking at the ZR2 "Bison" @ 1100 per this (although it just says ZR2)....although it looks like the std. ZR2 still only tows 5000:

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/colorado-zr2/2019.tab1.html

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
5000 is weak but more than enough for what I’m doing off road. I’ve heard tales the Tacoma struggles with even 3000 though. The rangers towing is definitely a big win for the ranger but I’m just more concerned with payload and seating personally. Girlfriend. 2 85 lb doodle dogs. So I’d still say the zr2 is out for me just because one of those dogs and me need room
To sleep in the back on solo fishing trips. I think that z71 long bed crew cab with the new trail runner package that provides 2 skid plates, rockers, and the tire upgrade seems to be the sweet spot for me real world use.

Also I hate that there are inconsistencies across places you can find specs. Mine came from chevys website too, if you click on Colorado, then specs, then compare models. Where is the most reliable info found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickw

Adventurer
5000 is weak but more than enough for what I’m doing off road. I’ve heard tales the Tacoma struggles with even 3000 though. The rangers towing is definitely a big win for the ranger but I’m just more concerned with payload and seating personally. Girlfriend. 2 85 lb doodle dogs. So I’d still say the zr2 is out for me just because one of those dogs and me need room
To sleep in the back on solo fishing trips. I think that z71 long bed crew cab with the new trail runner package that provides 2 skid plates, rockers, and the tire upgrade seems to be the sweet spot for me real world use.

Also I hate that there are inconsistencies across places you can find specs. Mine came from chevys website too, if you click on Colorado, then specs, then compare models. Where is the most reliable info found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question - the info / specs are all over the place, I've run into the same problem trying to decipher it all. But to your point, excluding the special "offroad" models e.g., Raptor, ZR2 Bison, TRD Offroad, etc, they are all fairly equivalent for payload, are close enough for most of us....it comes down to all the other little things.

Fullkontact

Dodge / Ram has stated they are working on a mid size truck. Possibly based on the Gladiator chassis but aimed at a different market. So, I'm doubting the SFA will remain.
I’ll have to look into that. I can see them using the gladiator frame. I’d still like to test drive one of those too. The dealers where I’m at in western KY do t have any yet except for special orders.

Fullkontact

EVs work well as long as there's infrastructure to leverage. I think hybrids are more practical and will be for the foreseeable future for traveling away from civilization. Honestly the railroads figured it out decades ago. A diesel hybrid 4wd would be almost ideal. Perhaps technology will improve but there's also laws in physics that we don't yet know how to break.
Yes the future is going to be exciting but I still think we are years behind the all electric vehicle thing as far as sustainable charging solutions and never ending power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles