2019 Ford Ranger Taking Orders

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think gasoline engines are quickly starting to rival diesels in terms of complexity in emissions, induction and combustion strategies. I also think diesel industry is on the verge of realizing technological breakthroughs which potentially could offer huge improvements in emissions and efficiency. Political winds and business strategies will likely be deciding factors in whether or not those technologies stay popular. Anyone who is definitively claiming that one technology will be dominant while another one will be dead in 10 years is relying on wild assumption rather than educated guess...technology is evolving at the rapid rate compared to 10-15 years ago.
Time will tell. I think for now, I'll try and stick with NA engines. I'd like to drive and see a new Ranger but, I don't know if I'd consider one based on the engine. I'm not 'sold' yet.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Ideally it would've been near perfect if Ford had offered only diesel, a baby powerstrocke, mated with the 10 speed.

But still, my attitude is postie about the new ranger.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Apparently the ranger now is more popular in Australian than the Hilux.

Yes, I've read a couple of comparison tests that favored the Ranger over the HiLux as well. Take it for what you will. The Ridgeline beat out the Tacoma and Ranger in a comparison test I posted in another thread.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Yes, I've read a couple of comparison tests that favored the HiLux over the Ranger as well. Take it for what you will. The Ridgeline beat out the Tacoma and Ranger in a comparison test I posted in another thread.

Just as a FYI - the link you posted has the Ranger in 1st spot over the Hilux....

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I shell say that I don’t like the Honda Ridgeline, but to be absolutely honest it’s a perfect truck for big urban dwellers who almost never leave the urban areas. This is actually the vast majority of the small truck owners. In my neighborhood, in nyc, I see quite a few Tacomas prepared for crossing arctic and Mongolia... but they never leave the parking lot. :D

Apparently Ram is also bringing a small truck too. Only god knows if it’s a new Dakota with V8.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
If I did the 1/8 to 1/4 mile conversion right it’s high 13’s in the 1/4 mile. Honestly with a 93 octane tune I thought it’d be faster. That fuel range is looking smaller and smaller...

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Surely does! I think I've read a couple tests that ranked the Ranger over the Hilux.
Gotcha, you said you read a couple test that favored the Hilux over the Ranger then linked the article that showed the Ranger over the Hilux, I was expecting a link supporting the Hilux :)

Most of the reviews I've read rank the Ranger over the Hilux to be honest.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Gotcha, you said you read a couple test that favored the Hilux over the Ranger then linked the article that showed the Ranger over the Hilux, I was expecting a link supporting the Hilux :)

Most of the reviews I've read rank the Ranger over the Hilux to be honest.
Oops! You're right. I didn't realize I did that. That was a typo I meant to say Ranger over the HiLux. Both the articles I posted ranked the Ranger over the HiLux. Ranger seems very well liked abroad.... fixed it now..

nickw

Adventurer
If I did the 1/8 to 1/4 mile conversion right it’s high 13’s in the 1/4 mile. Honestly with a 93 octane tune I thought it’d be faster. That fuel range is looking smaller and smaller...
Thanks for sharing. High 13's seems pretty legit to me but ****** do I know. The dyno is impressive as well, torque numbers are right in line with the domestic diesel Colorado and overseas Diesels....albeit at a higher RPM, 2k give or take.

Dalko43

Explorer
I still want to see an in depth comparison between the US-spec Ranger and the global version.

Everyone keeps saying that they're "basically" the same chassis/platform, but I wonder if Ford made some changes to the NA-version to make it lighter and more efficient.

nickw

Adventurer
Oops! You're right. I didn't realize I did that. That was a typo I meant to say Ranger over the HiLux. Both the articles I posted ranked the Ranger over the HiLux. Ranger seems very well liked abroad.... fixed it now..
No worries, I was confused! Yeah, when I was in AUS/TAZ Rangers were everywhere, the locals I talked to seemed to love them. They are a bit more refined I think which is part of it, but you'd think since they have been selling there for several years, if there was an inherent reliability issue, it would have effected sales, but they seem to be holding up every bit as good as the Toyotas.

That is part of the reason why I wanted one of this gen before they re-style or "Americanize" them....who knows what the next gen will bring, could go either way...

nickw

Adventurer
I still want to see an in depth comparison between the US-spec Ranger and the global version.

Everyone keeps saying that they're "basically" the same chassis/platform, but I wonder if Ford made some changes to the NA-version to make it lighter and more efficient.
I would too. They made changes for sure, beyond the obvious, engine and Trans, the rear axle is different. The US ranger uses a common axle that both the Chevy Colorado ZR2 and Jeep Rubicon use, lockable 220mm, sourced from the US distributor Dana. The interior looks to be effectively the same along with the body. Frame may be different as well, though they are both fully boxed.

The global ranger can carry significantly more than the US ranger, close to 700 lbs. Based on what I've read between the Hilux and Tacoma, folks generally think it has to do with Frame integrity. I believe the Hilux is fully boxed while the Tacoma (last gen at least) was C channel, which is a can of worms I don't want to open. I know the Ranger is fully boxed FWIW. I'm sure frame strength certainly has something to do with it, but also suspension stiffness / acceptable NVH (lets be honest, what's ok in AUS and Africa isn't going to fly here) and gov stipulations all come into play.

Dalko43

Explorer
I would too. They made changes for sure, beyond the obvious, engine and Trans, the rear axle is different. The US ranger uses a common axle that both the Chevy Colorado ZR2 and Jeep Rubicon use, lockable 220mm, sourced from the US distributor Dana. The interior looks to be effectively the same along with the body. Frame may be different as well, though they are both fully boxed.

The global ranger can carry significantly more than the US ranger, close to 700 lbs. Based on what I've read between the Hilux and Tacoma, folks generally think it has to do with Frame integrity. I believe the Hilux is fully boxed while the Tacoma (last gen at least) was C channel, which is a can of worms I don't want to open. I know the Ranger is fully boxed FWIW. I'm sure frame strength certainly has something to do with it, but also suspension stiffness / acceptable NVH (lets be honest, what's ok in AUS and Africa isn't going to fly here) and gov stipulations all come into play.

All of the above may be true, though I don't if we can read too much into the different tow/payload ratings for overseas Rangers and Hilux's...The methods/standards for rating a US-spec pickup's tow/payload capabilities are not the same as what's used overseas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles