2019 F350 6.2L 4WD build thread; HPI flatbed, ATO AterraXL composite camper, Carli/King, 37s, 4.88s, etc

ramblinChet

The simplest solution is usually the best. A solution that can solve multiple problems adds huge value.

For my AEV Prospector and FWC it was necessary to step up on something to unlatch and latch my camper top - I also required a step between the bumper and the ground for entering and exiting the FWC. A simple Worx Step Stool solved both issues for me. I open the back door, pull it out, unlatch my top, place it near my rear bumper and step up into my FWC. They only cost $40 so they are a low cost alternative.

I think the aluminum steps are cool but the create problems. The biggest one for me is they take up much valuable real estate directly behind the camper. If I need to exit and go up to the front of the vehicle I am walking backwards for 6-8' and then when I hit the ground I turn around and walk back another 6-8' and then begin to go where I was planning. This may not be as significant an issue for some but for as much as I am in my camper, the wasted time adds up.

The aluminum steps do not have handrails either so you are "walking the plank" for a number of steps. I am not as well balanced as I was years ago and when carrying things into the FWC or just opening the rear door and placing them on the floor, a step stool makes life simple. Also, if you are on a long drive and pull into a rest area to crash for a few hours, good luck on stretching those steps out - you are either going to stick out into the path of vehicles or if you back in, you will cross a sidewalk. It seems minor, but when it limits my choices I search for other solutions.

I think if they made some steps that only went back a few feet I would take another look at them but for now my "less is more" solution has been working well for the past year. The step stool I use is at a reasonable limit though for my AEV Prospector with 37s. I stand 5'10" and can reach the FWC clasps easily. If you are shorter and have a bigger truck, this stool may not be enough for you.

In use at Blackwater Creek State Forest in Florida:
2022-11-25_10.48.34.jpeg

Worx Storage Step Stool:
worx.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I think the aluminum steps are cool but the create problems. The biggest one for me is they take up much valuable real estate directly behind the camper.

Not at all.

I had the exact same camper as you, different color. I had the big wide tork lift steps and the fit perfectly right inside the door of the FWC in the wasted space.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Horses for courses on the steps, YMMV. We'll see how well my plan works. If the Torklift SuperGlo steps were a bit narrower, they could work.

You won't find my rig in the classifieds anytime soon...enjoying it. Have some further improvements to make, but overall I'm really chuffed with this setup. LOVE the petrol engine (although MPG is crappy until hopefully the Forscan for 37s helps a bit, also with optimal shifting)--quiet and no fuss. Carli susp rocks. Camper is easy to use and comfortable; no setup!

Besides, if I sell it, RAM5500 won't provide as much heckling entertainment here.

Last edited:

wfv56

How’s the camper in cold weather? Any condensation? When I toured the ATO and saw the Attera being built I was surprised how thin the walls were. Maybe 1/2 inch thick panels. I was also curious if it would be hard to keep the textured paint clean. Cool camper keep the content coming.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How’s the camper in cold weather? Any condensation? When I toured the ATO and saw the Attera being built I was surprised how thin the walls were. Maybe 1/2 inch thick panels. I was also curious if it would be hard to keep the textured paint clean. Cool camper keep the content coming.

Haven't had the chance to camp in it in below freezing temps. It's been sitting out in 18degF weather, Truma at 45deg, and no condensation inside that I can feel. However, no one has been inside it and breathing at this temp. So, I'll have to report back on condensation with a live human in it, in sub freezing temps.
I have heard from one other AterraXL owner that his camping in freezing temps with 3 humans has created condensation on the inside of the walls, with the heater on, and he has the new ATO air recirc option (I do not). I can't recall if he had any windows cracked (I haven't so far in my camping).

Yes, the walls are thinner than OEV, TC, etc. But that also = less curb weight for the AterraXL.

Textured surface; yes, it's more difficult to keep clean, especially in regards to bugs on the front. It wouldn't be my preference for exterior/interior finish, although I understand the idea behind the "bedliner" type coating and possible improved durability over a smooth gel coat finish.

Thx much!

wfv56

That was my fear on the textured paint. I love bedliner type paint for scratch resistance but find it holds dirt and bugs with a iron fist.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That was my fear on the textured paint. I love bedliner type paint for scratch resistance but find it holds dirt and bugs with a iron fist.

Yep. Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter.

Update;
--bottom step is at fab shop for some slightly longer legs.
--fab shop will be modifying my 2nd row dog platform, to make it a 2pc unit, so that I can remove the right rear "40%" section when needed and allow a family member to sit back there for specific trips. 60% section will remain dog area and storage.
--fab shop needs to router my Lagun table mount to allow the dinette table to slide to the driver side, which opens up the bathroom area on the passenger side.
--have some camper upgrades to employ; electrical/heating (shore power plug, water and battery heat blankets, heat blanket for Shurflo water pump, etc), etc.
--lots more electrical work on the truck (dual band radio, SAR communications, etc).
--unsure if I mentioned it previously, but contemplating going to a 34.4" winter Nokian tire (vs my 33" Blizzak), so that I'm closer to my 37" spare size...plus the 34s will look more proper than the skinny 33s.
--more stuff I'm not remembering right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles