2019 F350 6.2L 4WD build thread; HPI flatbed, ATO AterraXL composite camper, Carli/King, 37s, 4.88s, etc

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Saw em, thought about em, didn't want to be like everyone else, especially RAM550000Thang. ? :ROFLMAO:
But more seriously, I believe I found them to be too wide for my dog entry (they'd hit the door panel), since the rear doors of the truck don't open up 90deg. How wide are they outside-outside; 20"?

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
BTW, I just saw this post/video. Very cool idea to use the Torklift all terrain landing gear;

They appear to only be 6-10" in height adjustment, which is about 1" shorter than I'd need. And, the lack of a new bottom step would mean my first step up is higher off the ground. Anyways, just wanted to share another way to do this.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Seems like the Torklift Steps would be a much more simple option:

@montypower how long have you had yours? I am on about 2 years and they just started getting stiff and a little hard to fold due to road grime build up and such

ADVICE: A drop of TriFlow (mountain bike lube) at all the pivot points, has them working like brand new.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
LameDuck:
One who still hasn't informed the population, nor his homie, how wide the steps are. Therefore is known as a LameDuck.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
WILLIS:
One who has no idea what ya talking about. Width of my steps? I dont even know, The Torklifts are offered in various widths and step #s and such...

FARMERS HALL OF FAME CHARTER MEMBER:
One who knows a thing or two because they know a thing or two.

Guess you don't have a tape measure handy. To help ya out, the Torklift StowNGo's are all 20"W, as I mentioned above; https://www.torklift.com/rv/stow-n-go#specs

And the GloBrite ones are a bit wider yet; https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep#specs

So, I'm unsure where you found various width Torklifts...but to answer the question as to why I didn't just get Torklifts for my application, this is the reason--too wide and I need narrower.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is where you have to take a step (see what i did there?) back and reassess

Having 1 set of steps for both you into camper and dogs into truck seems good in theory, saves some space, but brings too much headache and compromise.

You have any ample room for a nice wider, more stable step for the camper, that can be stowed in an exterior box, and then find a folding ramp for dogs thats kept in truck.

Having been there, done that, you're going to want your camper entry steps as stable and easy to deploy and break down as possible. Oh, i have to pull over to get someone out of my camper, let get my steps, out of my truck, then grab my stool, etc...

Current idea of steps on top of a stool or whatever is just silly. That will get old FAST. Get the right steps for the camper, deal with dogs into truck separately.

You've already boasted you have too much storage, use some of it for the right set of stairs and make your life 10x easier

Take a step back, rethink the logic and start over. I've also been there done THAT... More than once. Part of the game

FWIW: My final solution for the FWC (which would work with yours as well) was a set of the removeable Tork lifts like @montypower that stored right inside the entry door of the FWC and when i needed them, opened camper door, and grabbed them and installed them.

This made great use of dead space and didnt waste any "storage".

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This is where you have to take a step (see what i did there?) back and reassess

Having 1 set of steps for both you into camper and dogs into truck seems good in theory, saves some space, but brings too much headache and compromise.

You have any ample room for a nice wider, more stable step for the camper, that can be stowed in an exterior box, and then find a folding ramp for dogs thats kept in truck.

Having been there, done that, you're going to want your camper entry steps as stable and easy to deploy and break down as possible. Oh, i have to pull over to get someone out of my camper, let get my steps, out of my truck, then grab my stool, etc...

Current idea of steps on top of a stool or whatever is just silly. That will get old FAST. Get the right steps for the camper, deal with dogs into truck separately.

You've already boasted you have too much storage, use some of it for the right set of stairs and make your life 10x easier

Take a step back, rethink the logic and start over. I've also been there done THAT... More than once. Part of the game

FWIW: My final solution for the FWC (which would work with yours as well) was a set of the removeable Tork lifts like @montypower that stored right inside the entry door of the FWC and when i needed them, opened camper door, and grabbed them and installed them.

This made great use of dead space and didnt waste any "storage".

Hehe, cute.

I don't have sufficient room for a big stack of 20"W Torklift steps; rear underflatbed box isn't tall enough....and steps which are again, too wide for use at the rear seat of truck location.
I looked at and already bought a nice set of folding aluminum ramps(now for sale--never used); 7'L overall IIRC...truck is too tall to use them, as they'd be at more than a 45deg angle for the rear dog platform.

To get into my camper quickly, I don't need to unearth the steps; I just grab the black "Codger" handle on the Aterra with my left hand, right foot on the RR tire, grab the inside of Tern door frame and up I go.

I appreciate your sweet and fuzzy thoughts, but I'm already moving forward on the bottom step. It'll all work out well, just you see.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I don't have sufficient room for a big stack of 20"W Torklift steps; rear underflatbed box isn't tall enough....and steps which are again, too wide for use at the rear seat of truck location.

Grasshopper

Open the door to your camper…

What is right inside your door when you enter?

Nothing…. BOOM

That is where the big giant tork lifts fit perfect and it’s a great use of wasted space and makes everything very easy and intuitive

I’ll try to dig up a pic

?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Grasshopper

Open the door to your camper…

What is right inside your door when you enter?

Nothing…. BOOM

That is where the big giant tork lifts fit perfect and it’s a great use of wasted space and makes everything very easy and intuitive

I’ll try to dig up a pic

?

Yep, true. Would need to find a way to lash them down in the camper.
But it still doesn't solve ExhibitA (unusable for dog at passenger rear truck cab door).
XOXO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles