2019 F350 4x4 custom HPI flatbed/AT Atlas topper

rruff

Explorer
From this photo angle it doesn’t seem that the frame has moved what so ever.

What are you looking at to say that the frame hasn't moved?

I'm skeptical because it seems to violate physics. The F350 frame is open C channel designed to be flexy, unless something changed recently. Softer long travel springs will reduce this but they certainly won't eliminate it. When you are crossed to the limit like that (near the point of tire lift off) all the weight is still focused on two corners; the suspensions just lets you get more crossed up before this happens. If the frame isn't isolated from the bed/camper, then the bed/camper would need to be stiff and strong enough to keep the frame from flexing, and I don't think that's likely. Maybe they reinforced the frame itself? I still don't think the camper would be so nicely lined up and undistorted when crossed up like that... not without a pivot.

Joek6.5

What are you looking at to say that the frame hasn't moved?

I'm skeptical because it seems to violate physics. The F350 frame is open C channel designed to be flexy, unless something changed recently. Softer long travel springs will reduce this but they certainly won't eliminate it. When you are crossed to the limit like that (near the point of tire lift off) all the weight is still focused on two corners; the suspensions just lets you get more crossed up before this happens. If the frame isn't isolated from the bed/camper, then the bed/camper would need to be stiff and strong enough to keep the frame from flexing, and I don't think that's likely. Maybe they reinforced the frame itself? I still don't think the camper would be so nicely lined up and undistorted when crossed up like that... not without a pivot.

I believe on the 2017+ fords they’re fully boxed frames now because of the weight savings from the aluminum body panels. And even then on my 2016 with the same suspension set up as the GG truck I can twist up the suspension a decent amount and the frame maybe moves a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, I remember seeing that, but his Dodge 2500 is a boxed frame (photo below) while yours is not. Ford F250s also went to boxed frames in 2017.
image-19-jpg.289255

F-Super Duty's (ie F250, F350, F450, F550)?

rruff

Explorer
F-Super Duty's (ie F250, F350, F450, F550)?

Just the F250 (and the 150 prior). If the others have changed I don't see any mention of it. At any rate your frame looks like a basic open C ladder type. On a boxed frame each rail would be an enclosed tube.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Just the F250 (and the 150 prior). If the others have changed I don't see any mention of it. At any rate your frame looks like a basic open C ladder type. On a boxed frame each rail would be an enclosed tube.

Not saying you're wrong, but why would Ford only box the frame on the F250 (and prior) 150, and not the 350+?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Kentucky truck plant is boxed frames. 250, 350, 450 civvy models.

Real work trucks come from the Sheffield Lake Ohio plant and all have C channel frames. 350, 450, 550, 650, 750. Only from the cab forward is boxed. It's possible that some of their small 350's there, are boxed frames, but I doubt it.

Flex equals strength. I remember standing in the service hallway of a ship in a storm and watching the hallway bend at least 20' with the ship. The door at the end of the hallway would actually disappear over a bent horizon.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Kentucky truck plant is boxed frames. 250, 350, 450 civvy models.

Real work trucks come from the Sheffield Lake Ohio plant and all have C channel frames. 350, 450, 550, 650, 750. Only from the cab forward is boxed. It's possible that some of their small 350's there, are boxed frames, but I doubt it.

So you mean;
Kentucky is pickup trucks.
Ohio is commercial (chassis-cab) trucks, yes?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
All 2017+ Super Duties are fully boxed frames.

This will help for CHASSIS-CAB trucks, pg3; https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Chassis Cab&year=2019
--AN OPEN C-CHANNEL FRAME aft of cab features a standard 34" frame-rail width.
--A HIGH-STRENGTH STEEL FRAME, fully boxed under the cab and forward, is 8 times stiffer than the previous generation. The frame handles a wide range of upfits, from flat and dump beds to wrecker, service and delivery bodies. Up to 10 crossmembers enhance strength, with key crossmembers through-welded to increase stiffness.

And here for PICKUP trucks, pg6; https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2019
--UP TO 24 TIMES STIFFER THAN THE PREVIOUS GENERATION. Thanks to a fully boxed ladder frame made with high-strength steel and through-welded, closed-section crossmembers.

Joek6.5

This will help for CHASSIS-CAB trucks, pg3; https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=Chassis Cab&year=2019
--AN OPEN C-CHANNEL FRAME aft of cab features a standard 34" frame-rail width.
--A HIGH-STRENGTH STEEL FRAME, fully boxed under the cab and forward, is 8 times stiffer than the previous generation. The frame handles a wide range of upfits, from flat and dump beds to wrecker, service and delivery bodies. Up to 10 crossmembers enhance strength, with key crossmembers through-welded to increase stiffness.

And here for PICKUP trucks, pg6; https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2019
--UP TO 24 TIMES STIFFER THAN THE PREVIOUS GENERATION. Thanks to a fully boxed ladder frame made with high-strength steel and through-welded, closed-section crossmembers.

I didn’t know that about the chassis cab trucks. Thanks for the info.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I doubt mounting matters with that goose truck. The box is only a few feet long! And metal.

Be careful with long flatbeds. There's a reason home brewed flat beds cause frame failures exactly between the cab and bed.

IIRC, my service body is hard mounted in just two spots forward, and rubber or spring mounted on the rest. T plates that rest on top of the frame, and bolt to the sides of the frame.

If you blow apart a perfectly good MT tire. Cut out a couple feet of it's tread. Knock a hole in that and you have a perfectly good rubber pad.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah! That thing is going to be killer. As you know, I have a Hawk flatbed - you mentioned wanting the cassette toilet. I HIGHLY endorse that decision. I use the toilet ALL the time - yes it's weird taking a dump in the middle of your kitchen but I have to tell you - the design of that toilet makes dealing with emptying it very easy and non-gross. AND I'm the guy who has no problem dropping a deuce in there (I've heard from people who say, "ONLY use it to PEE!" my feeling is I paid for it, I'm going to USE this thing.) I don't put toilet paper into it, that goes into little plastic doggy bags that I tie up and throw in the trash. But emptying the cassette toilet into a regular toilet is easy.

I've got just about every option on my camper so if you have questions about stuff - fire away. One option I wouldn't get again is the extend to king size bed option - we never need to make the bed that big. And, you have to carry the extra cushions if you're going to make it into a king bed - they fit on the bed when the top is down but they do get in the way if you don't end up pulling the thing out to king configuration. I'd skip that option.

Oh yeah, I don't know what they're spec-ing for their solar components now but I chose to install my own choices: Victron BVM and Victron MPPT controller - 2x100 renogy panels that I mounted to the factory installed yakima racks (I would get those - let the factory drill into the roof).

Cool thing about the cab and chassis choice is the closer together frame rails allows deeper side boxes on the flatbed - and because they're perfectly level - the upfitters like them better for installing flatbeds. You will have that spare tire issue to deal with though and I do agree, those suckers are heavy so if you're putting it up high... start working out.

I got my F350 in XL trim but it came with cloth seats and upfitter switches, locking diff. etc... actually it pretty much looked like yours before I put the Wet Okole seat covers on it. I wanted XL trim because I didn't want carpet inside my cab - not having carpet is AWESOME. So much easier to clean and the best part is, if you want carpet just through some floor mats in there. Plus you don't get the enormous chrome grill - yeck. I've only used one upfitter switch for my ARB Dual Compressor - I use that compressor A LOT and I'm actually thinking about picking up another one to wire in as a redundant system- that's how valuable a compressor is for me where I go.

I picked up a gas engine for all the same reasons you described - I really like it - mine is the 6.4 (or is it 6.2?) and it's got plenty of power. I had to pull my dad out of some Baja mud and when I looked back he was wagging behind me like a rapala being trolled.

You guys DO love your gas capacity - man. I have an additional 5 gallons in a jerry can mounted on the back of my camper - I like having it. That brings me to 39 gallons I think - has seemed to be enough so far.

I also carry a full size Pro-Eagle aluminum floor jack on a mount on the back of truck opposite of my jerry can - it's the same one they have on trophy trucks. After having to balance a bottle jack on a rock to get my truck high enough to make a repair on a **************** dirt road in Baja I swore I'd get the right jack if I made it back... so it's on there, it has a flatplate on the bottom so you can slide it on sand and it won't sink in (I'm kind of manic about jacks though - I also carry an ARB inflatable jack for getting elevated when you're to the frame in sand... and a scissors jack for prying things apart... yeah I'm nuts).

Oh yeah, one more thing - I also got the inside shower option for the Hawk. Everybody usually says it's not a good option... but.... when there are clouds of mozzies out side and your ballzack is so funky it's batwinging to the inside of your thighs... you might like a nice hot shower inside. It's awkward but it works.. and my girl demanded it. I'd do it again.

Ok, looking forward to more pics and updates. Oh - are you putting airbags on that F350?

Thanks for your feedback John.

We thought about the cassette toilet, we like the ease of dumping, but we already have a smaller Thetford porta-potti with "cassette" section in the bottom of it. We're thinking we'll upgrade to the 565e "Curve" Thetford porta potti, and modify the standard storage cabinet (to right of entryway) to accept the Curve on a slide-out tray.
Thx on your inside shower thoughts. If/when we need to shower inside (foul weather, winter), we'll probably fashion a shower curtain to hang from the ceiling, and step into a plastic tub and shower in it. Both of these will allow us maximum storage in the porta potti cabinet, and under-dinette floor storage area.
Good suggestion to throw the t.p. into a doggie bag vs the toilet, to save on waste volume capacity.

No king bed option, queen'ish is big enough for us.

2 Roof Mounted Solar Panels - 160 Watt w/ 30 AMP MPPT Controller $1995
(They mean 2 160W for total of 320W, as single 160W w/ 15A MPPT is $1050)
Overland Solar, which I'm told is a lower quality division of Victron.
It doesn't sound like the FWC solar wiring is very accessible, to allow us to upgrade the wiring to higher quality in upgrading to our own solar configuration. Currently torn on purchasing FWC's $1995 setup, or rolling dice and adding our own high quality solar components for less.

Good point about chassis cab and deeper below-frame storage!
Figuring out what to do on the spare tire situation. Asking for the flatbed to have a rear 9500lb winch, so might have "the engineering dept" get creative with some way to use it to hoist the spare(s) up/down from the flatbed deck.

Agreed on XL and vinyl floor, no chrome grille.
Wow, 2 ARB dual compressors? How many water wings are you blowing up for the kids at da beach? ;)

Yours is 6.2L as well (6.4L is the '08-10 turbo diesel that had a ton of issues).

Thanks for the suggestion on the Pro Eagle! I was expecting to get a beefy bottle jack w/ base for sand/snow. Do you have the 2ton Beast or 3ton Kratos? https://www.proeagle.com/collections/all

Airbag in rear susp; have considered it if needed, but hoping that with the Carli/Deaver susp, and keeping the build as light as possible, I wouldn't need them. If I do any, I think I'd look to Hellwig;
#6119, last product listed on this page; https://www.hellwigproducts.com/pro.../?Year1=2019&Make=Ford&Model=F-350 Super Duty

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Here's a pic of the gas can and jack mounted - you might make a similar rack and mount your tire to it.
View attachment 562983
View attachment 562984
The trapezoid of aluminum diamond plate is there to protect the back of the camper from getting donkey punched by the handlebar of my dirt bike when you're on a bumpy road. You can see it's already taken a couple of hits.
View attachment 562987
Back drawer doubles as table and autopsy surface. You can see where I mounted the rack that holds my jerry can, maxxtraxx and Pro-Eagle jack.
View attachment 562989
Here's a shot at the XPCamper factory when it was getting finished up.
View attachment 562990
And a picture through the cross body box - I think you're making this a dog hotel with a crawl through tunnel? Ain't "custom" cool? Can't wait to see how you work that out. I've got an ARB fridge on one side (it sits on that sliding tray) and a 30 gallon water tank on the other - so 50 gallons total water capacity... LOVE having more water than 20 gallons in the FWC.

Looks like your Pro Eagle is the black 2ton model, no offroady tires. Why no offroady tires like the Beast has?

Thx for all of your pics, looking good!

I like your rear drawer. Never know when you'll need that surface to autopsy a sasquatch or the like.

How many inches do you have between top of cab and bottom of camper cabover?

Yes on "canine chalet" as I call it. ;) Will have access window on the aft side, that mates up to FWC cab access window. And then on front side of the "canine chalet" box, where my rear window currently is, will be another surface that mates between rear of cab and front of "canine chalet" box. Hopefully Alum-line doesn't freak out with all of the requests I'm trying for here.
Good call on the secondary fridge! I have a Nat'l Luna Weekender 50L that would fit nicely in the lower section of "canine chalet" box as needed.
Thinking about trying to fit the largest poly water tank (w/ heating element in it) between the frame rails directly aft of cab. Could use this w/ a water pump to pump from this aux tank to the fresh water supply port on driver side of FWC. I agree on having more than 20gal water when needed.

PS--not many care for a donkey punch. ;-)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I doubt mounting matters with that goose truck. The box is only a few feet long! And metal.

Be careful with long flatbeds. There's a reason home brewed flat beds cause frame failures exactly between the cab and bed.

IIRC, my service body is hard mounted in just two spots forward, and rubber or spring mounted on the rest. T plates that rest on top of the frame, and bolt to the sides of the frame.

7'L or less, and aluminum.

How long of flatbeds? Not going with homebrew on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior