2019 Defender

OCD Overland

Explorer
Isn't the Wrangler the only successful Jeep product currently?
They sell more Cherokees and Grand Cherokees than Wranglers, and everything in their lineup sells pretty well.

Plus, while the Wrangler is a great vehicle, you have to attribute a part of it's success to the fact that it currently has no real competition in the US market. The defender will be competing for a slice of Wrangler's slice of the market. Add in Ford's likely entrance with a new Bronco, and you can see why LR is having a hard time figuring out how the new Defender will make money in the US.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've argued until I'm blue in the face on what I think LR should do with the Defender to steel some Wrangler market but I have very little confidence they'll go that route and instead will go upmarket and even worse, it's looking more and more like independent air suspension. As for the success of the Jeep product line over-all I'd have to do some research but I think they're doing OK with some of the other stuff as well.

Trying to compete with the Jeep Wrangler, in the Wrangler's market segment in the U.S. (BTW, also LR's largest market) is a lose/lose proposition for LR. The Wrangler OWNS that segment, there is no competition, there is also a large parts and accessory economy built around the Wrangler, no other make/model can claim that. LR would have to take a percentage of the Wrangler market from Jeep, an impossible proposition with an imported vehicle. As much as I love Front Runner, they will never be able to support a new Defender to the same degree that Quadratec supports the Wrangler, as an example. As a niche vehicle, LR can set the price point, sell fewer vehicles, and still make some money. This is the exact reason why Ford will never build the teaser Bronco and Chevy will never make a Wrangler wannabe, to steal market share you have to have either a cheaper product, or a better product.

dsm02c

Adventurer
I've argued until I'm blue in the face on what I think LR should do with the Defender to steel some Wrangler market but I have very little confidence they'll go that route and instead will go upmarket and even worse, it's looking more and more like independent air suspension. As for the success of the Jeep product line over-all I'd have to do some research but I think they're doing OK with some of the other stuff as well.

Every time I go to the dealer to pick up parts I'm reminded that, as a brand, it seems Land Rover is headed in the opposite direction of its original heritage. I would assume a new defender is going to end up on something like the discovery sport chassis with a different body. It's a shame... Would love to see a revival of what they have been about previously.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Every time I go to the dealer to pick up parts I'm reminded that, as a brand, it seems Land Rover is headed in the opposite direction of its original heritage. I would assume a new defender is going to end up on something like the discovery sport chassis with a different body. It's a shame... Would love to see a revival of what they have been about previously.
Sticking with their original heritage caused the brand to basically fail and have to be bought out numerous times. As much as we all love the classic rovers, farm tractors don't qualify as globally competitive automobiles anymore. If the brand wants to exist, it needs to evolve. Evoques being the number one seller is a perfect example of this( and I do not like them at all).

I bet the new defender will be a disappointment to most on this forum, but will also probably be capable enough to go where 90% of the people who criticize it would never even drive it anyway

wildorange

Observer
Sticking with their original heritage caused the brand to basically fail and have to be bought out numerous times. As much as we all love the classic rovers, farm tractors don't qualify as globally competitive automobiles anymore. If the brand wants to exist, it needs to evolve. Evoques being the number one seller is a perfect example of this( and I do not like them at all).

I bet the new defender will be a disappointment to most on this forum, but will also probably be capable enough to go where 90% of the people who criticize it would never even drive it anyway

I'm not a fan of the Evoque either however the vehicle also has it's fan and followers, along with images circulating the web of the forthcoming Disco 5 looking more sporty than its current box type design it's famed for.

It's been debated many times in some magazines, forums and exhibition shows that many do/did not want the Defender to cease production and hoped it would continue as long as it met it's new critera in both improved engine, chassis and emissions requirement.

dsm02c

Adventurer

I don't disagree with anything you said... The brand as a whole can stay with 130k luxo trucks and crossovers designed by posh spice, if that's what keeps it around I'll take it. I just want one of the product offerings to be able to be wheeled hard. Yes, I can push my LR4 hard but keeping up with a JKUR with mild work is, well, work. I was just hoping the new defender could fill the space for LR as a hardcore capable off-roader while they continue making status symbols for the 99% of buyers gracing their showrooms...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It's interesting that most brands try to build some sort of "halo" car, such as the GTR, LFA, NSX, 918, LaFerarri, Z06, etc.... What we all want is the polar opposite, an anti-halo Defender for the masses. Simple, durable, cheap, capable. With which the brand legacy can carry on.... much like a Halo car.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Thinking some of the largest clients for a new Defender would be the British armed forces and agriculture, which are diametrically opposed to the current product direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles