2019 Defender

samer0214

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1993 NAS D110 cost about $30K back then? That's $50K in today's money for a Defender with A/C and a roof rack and a manual transmission.

I don't know how any of us would think that a 2016/17 or 2018 D110 would "only" cost $50K, and that's not accounting for an Auto box (which it will surely have), all the electronic ninnies, and luxuries such as central locks, power windows, stereo system, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1993 NAS D110 cost about $30K back then? That's $50K in today's money for a Defender with A/C and a roof rack and a manual transmission.

I don't know how any of us would think that a 2016/17 or 2018 D110 would "only" cost $50K, and that's not accounting for an Auto box (which it will surely have), all the electronic ninnies, and luxuries such as central locks, power windows, stereo system, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there is a whole lot of wishful thinking going on by people who don't understand LRUSA's target market. Hint, we're not it here at ExPo.

haven

Expedition Leader
"What about the JLR brand image is affordable? They sell exclusivity."

That's true in North America. The Defender that is sold worldwide is a different utility vehicle. It has been rumored for years that Tata, the parent company of JLR, will continue to build a basic Land Rover in India for third world markets. Some rumors say the Defender assembly line will simply be boxed up and moved to India.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Which is a brilliant move because it means the "new" Defender doesn't even have to fill the shoes of the old one - because the old one is still being sold! Frees up the designers to go even more after the leisure/lifestyle image and deliver us something that has few desireable features.

However, as I've said previously I do hold out hope that they can at least build something cool. The F-Type is the pattern to follow here. E-Type --> F-Type = Defender --> Defender2

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Also, MSRP of the 1993 110 was about $40k in 1992 when it came out. That equals $67k in today's dollars.

At the same time the MSRP of a standard 1993 Wrangler was $10,500 - 1/4 the cost...

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If its a solid axle 4x4 and I can get a 110-ish one for ~45-50k I'll buy it. Have you priced out a 4 door JK Rubicon lately? That's what they cost.. just under 50 large.. for an effing Wrangler. No rear legroom, barely a trunk area and payload that rivals a Subaru wagon. It's a joke at that price point. I'd gladly pay a little more for a Rover so long as it supplies the utility.

It's the jeep tax people are willing to pay. An optioned out rubicon is what 40 grand and then dealers add 10 grand to the price and fools line up to pay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
It's the jeep tax people are willing to pay. An optioned out rubicon is what 40 grand and then dealers add 10 grand to the price and fools line up to pay it.

Wranglers have grown and size and content. Airbags, and other costly mandated additions weren't an issue then.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Wranglers have grown and size and content. Airbags, and other costly mandated additions weren't an issue then.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was just talking about the jeep tax and insane price for a wrangler. And how dealers add there price to it and people still pay for it. The mandated items is not a justification for price. As there are plenty of other vehicles sold today that cost half as much.

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
We bought an 07 fjcruiser new at 27k. With factory diff lock 6speed manual and other goodies. 9 years and the biggest problem is I need a sway bushing replaced. In 3 years, how many things do you expect to go wrong on the super-engineered truck with all the gizmos?

I mean let's face it, for those of us who have owned land rovers, the don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to reliability/longevity

Blueboy

Adventurer
I mean let's face it, for those of us who have owned land rovers, the don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to reliability/longevity

Well, I'm pretty good with my 21 year old LWB Rangie which I drive all over Italy, France, Switzerland, etc. on and off-highway.

tacr2man

Adventurer
We bought an 07 fjcruiser new at 27k. With factory diff lock 6speed manual and other goodies. 9 years and the biggest problem is I need a sway bushing replaced. In 3 years, how many things do you expect to go wrong on the super-engineered truck with all the gizmos?

half the problem with landrovers seems to be the people that own them , they fiddle about with them and dont always have the requisite knowledge or ability to do things properly .
My father owned a V8 discovery ordered 2 weeks after the UK launch , and delivered 3 months later , he owned it for 26 years,
apart from consumables, he had to replace 1 clutch slave cylinder, and 1 aircon hose. It never let him down , and with over 100,000 miles it towed a caravan on a tour thru France and Germany , returning 19mpg. These are the Landrovers that people dont write about as they do what the owner wants with no problem.

sydneyman

Observer
used to work at a vw/audi/porsche dealership in service. i noticed not too many customers came by to say everything was a-ok. same could be said for the forums.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was just talking about the jeep tax and insane price for a wrangler. And how dealers add there price to it and people still pay for it. The mandated items is not a justification for price. As there are plenty of other vehicles sold today that cost half as much.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, and since you don't appear to be a Jeep JK/JKU owner I don't think you do either. I got my JKU under invoice, as did most of the Jeep owners I've asked.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure what you're talking about, and since you don't appear to be a Jeep JK/JKU owner I don't think you do either. I got my JKU under invoice, as did most of the Jeep owners I've asked.

You're absolutely right. I do not own one. From lots of research. Talked to people that had paid over and even on this site I've seen people say it. Regardless, almost 40k for a wrangler is insane. At least in my eyes it is.

Dogscout

Its a dam shame. That abomination shown above as a Defender replacement does nothing to convince me that its a progression or modern version of the Defender that I love. Think about this. Look at a 2015 Jeep Wrangler and a 1948 Willy's side by side and you can see the resemblance. Look at a 1971 Ford F100 next to a 2015 F150 and you can see a modern version of the old classic. But put that bastard next to a 1958 Series Land Rover and you got nothing.

i060081.jpg

BBibCtH.img

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles