2019 Defender

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
If they bring in the diesel, and if I can afford one, I'll probably buy one. I've had my '86 110 for almost 9 years now and I love it. However, a lot has changed in my life in the last 9 years, and my needs have changed along with it. Now that I have a young family, I think more about issues like safety. I've put a full roll cage on my '86, but I'll still be taking a long hard look at the new ones when they come out.

A couple of the articles I've read state that Land Rover is planning on coming out with a few different versions, some more utilitarian and some more luxurious. Stating that the new one will be "more luxurious than the current model" isn't really stating anything. I can't imagine them coming out with anything in 2019 that is less luxurious than what they offer now. Their new Discovery Sport is actually pretty reasonably priced, and I'd imagine that they'll at least have some version of the Defender that starts in price below the Discovery Sport. For example, the Discovery Sport starts at £32,300 and the current Defender 90 starts at £20,800. That still leaves a lot of room for them to raise the price of the new model and still start under the Discovery Sport.

As others have said, I'm just glad that Land Rover is still trying to produce a Defender.

samer0214

This is also taking into consideration the Master Craft seats I've put in..

I don't mean to high jack this thread, but your post caught my eye. Would you mind sharing as to which seat model you used, and what mods you had done in order for the seats to mount on the tracks?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justaddmtns

Observer
With the current exchange rate and dollar value there is no way this is coming to our shores for less than $80K, all bedazzled in fake burl walnut, leather, and chrome, to go with its 40 Series low-profile tires and 22" wheels. Sean Combs will probably do the commercials because off-roaders and overlanders will not be the target demographic.

I think this is meant to be sarcastic...

The Discovery is offering a base model at $37K with cloth-ish seats. The Defender, all three wheel-bases of them will certainly be more utilitarian. I would think, considering this, and the timing of the solid axel diesel Jeep announcement...it's worth LR throwing a competitor in the mix. There is simply too much market share to gain...IMHO.

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly

The Discovery is offering a base model at $37K with cloth-ish seats. The Defender, all three wheel-bases of them will certainly be more utilitarian. I would think, considering this, and the timing of the solid axel diesel Jeep announcement...it's worth LR throwing a competitor in the mix. There is simply too much market share to gain...IMHO.

You're right. For lr to be competitive in the American 4x4 market, they have to tailor to the American 4x4 drivers preferences. That means capability, utilitarianism, and most importantly, affordability. You mention the jeep, and that is a good point. But the key will be to make it available at a competitive price.

Us overlander types understand that Land Rover may make a cool vehicle, but the majority of people who, for sale of arguments, buy jeeps, Xterra's and fjcruisers do so because they can afford it, regardless of how far you can push it off road. "Most" people who own one won't even go off road with it. I've said it before. If they can offer the dc100 at a compelling and competitive price point, I may be interested. But if it's going to say, cost me $50,000 plus, I may as well go and buy a diesel jk, or a pro4x xterra or TRD 4Runner and get a better value, and probably have less problems.

tacr2man

Adventurer
When it comes it might have a "defender" badge on it but it wont be anything like , you only have to look at the latest offerings , electric windows, etc etc . It will be closer to a discovery, than to its ancestors , from which it has been morphing quicker and quicker. The ally bodywork got thinner in 89, when it went from 110/90 to defender, then some panels were replaced with steel , it has virtually ceased to be a work horse utility vehicle but more a life style fashion statement , more overland travelers refurb the older versions than take a new puma version .
It will have design "references" just as the new Mini , is about as relevant to the old mini ,and is nearly twice the volume, and targets a market about three levels above the original mini.
It might suit some markets eg USA , as different markets have different expectations , and ideas of usage . JMHO

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

Just because it's available from England on an order sheet doesn't mean LRUSA is ordering any and I'd wager that they don't, won't, and haven't. It is reported that LR plans to build 30,000 units a year of the new Defender. The U.S. Market will be lucky to get an allotment of 2,000 of that 30K. LRUSA will not be ordering any plain-Jane stripped down models, there is no money in that. The profit is in the options and our Defenders will come with all of them, with a likely mark-up to boot. Exclusivity does not come cheap.

vasily

Adventurer
I don't know why folks think that the new defender will be a mass-market, "affordable" rig.

What about the JLR brand image is affordable? They sell exclusivity. Period. So I don't know what the new defender will be or if it will have solid axles or locking diffs or if it will be utilitarian or a luxury liner, but I do know that it will not be competing with a 27k wrangler. Ever. Period.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I don't know why folks think that the new defender will be a mass-market, "affordable" rig.

What about the JLR brand image is affordable? They sell exclusivity. Period. So I don't know what the new defender will be or if it will have solid axles or locking diffs or if it will be utilitarian or a luxury liner, but I do know that it will not be competing with a 27k wrangler. Ever. Period.

Welcome to the Proper4wd school of common sense

XJLI

Adventurer

If its a solid axle 4x4 and I can get a 110-ish one for ~45-50k I'll buy it. Have you priced out a 4 door JK Rubicon lately? That's what they cost.. just under 50 large.. for an effing Wrangler. No rear legroom, barely a trunk area and payload that rivals a Subaru wagon. It's a joke at that price point. I'd gladly pay a little more for a Rover so long as it supplies the utility.

vasily

Adventurer
If its a solid axle 4x4 and I can get a 110-ish one for ~45-50k I'll buy it. Have you priced out a 4 door JK Rubicon lately? That's what they cost.. just under 50 large.. for an effing Wrangler. No rear legroom, barely a trunk area and payload that rivals a Subaru wagon. It's a joke at that price point. I'd gladly pay a little more for a Rover so long as it supplies the utility.

I totally agree. We're waiting to replace our 03 4Runner with 203k miles on it. The replacement will be a new 4Runner or an LR4. Or, depending on what JLR brings to the table, a new Defender.

XJLI

Adventurer
I totally agree. We're waiting to replace our 03 4Runner with 203k miles on it. The replacement will be a new 4Runner or an LR4. Or, depending on what JLR brings to the table, a new Defender.

Realistically, my next vehicle purchase will be in 2-3 years. My fiancé wants a LR4 to replace her car eventually, and the only two cars currently in production I can see myself in would be that or a Chevy Colorado (hopefully with the diesel). Hopefully everything doesn't go to **** and we have a few more options by then. The new Jeep Grand Waggy could be very nice if they do it right.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The real question is, at 50k would you take a fairly standard Defender (no lockers, no "off road" package), or a bombed out Rubicon with lockers, MTs, and a winch? Don't forget about the proven residual value of the Rubicon.

XJLI

Adventurer
Every day and twice on Sunday. Above all, I hate that every other truck on the road is a JK. Even though when they start selling new Defenders I'm in an area where I will see a ton of them, there still will be at 10 JKs for every Defender. I'm a sucker though, so if Jeep comes out with a pickup that costs a normal amount of money (I'm looking at you, AEV Brute) I'd buy one.

I'm sure the Defender will come with the same terrain response as the rest of the fleet, which is good enough for me. I can add lockers and whatever else later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier