2018 Wranlger JK Unlimited Build (for now)

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Here is a little write up on my 2018 JKU Shara in Gobi. I ordered the Jeep in August of 2017 and have done all mods and work myself with the exception of mounting and balancing the tires. This is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned more than I probably should have. It currently has 68,000 miles with a good many of those off road. The only thing I had added from the factory was LSD. If I had known a bit more about the ins and outs of Wranglers, I would have bought the Willys package. 5000 mile oil changes. 5000 mile tire rotations. 10000 mile air filter changes.

In no particular order:

Stuff I bought.
Rubicon Recon shocks and springs. This added not quite a full inch of lift
Wrangler black fender flares (thanks random stranger!)
MOPAR Winter steel wheels (shout out to @Dan Grec)
BFG KO2 285/75/17 These fit well but on a hard right turn, the inner portion of the tire rubs.
JKS Swaybar Quick Disconnects
Warn 8274 Winch w/150 feet steel cable
Quadratec 4 inch Aux lights
El Cheapo 2 inch rear cube lights from Northern
Blue sea systems fuse box under driver seat for lights, radio, gps, etc
Blue Sea 500 amp on/off switch for Warn winch
ARB 48 inch awning
Jeep brand mud flaps that I got at a discount shop. Don't lie...you are super jealous!
Garmin external GPS antenna
External ham radio antenna. For both antennas, I did drill through the roof and then used water tight fasteners and O rings. Never leaked at the drilled parts (now the seams from the factory are another story...)

Stuff I made.
Front bumper from 5 inch C channel
Rear bumper from 5 inch C channel
Front skid plate 3/16 steel
Front and rear drawer system from 1/2 inch birch
Added remote on/off switch and spool in/out switch for winch on the driver side of dash. Big red covered switch because it looks cool.
Sleeping pad from 4 inch dog memory foam beds. Way more comfortable than they should be!
Tailgate table from 2 really large 1/2 cutting boards bought at a local restaurant supply shop.
Window MOLLE mounts that I designed and had CNC plasma cut and powder coated. I use to sell these on my site but it was ultimately not successful and I barely broke even. If I ever get a good amount of interest in these again, I may make a run.
Roof rack was designed by me to use Smittybuilt mounts. I had the spacers CNC plasma cut from the same place and then I spent a few evenings welding everything up. Total weight is 65 pounds. I slop coated khaki paint on it I had left over.
Roof was painted white with metal building roof paint. This cuts down on the heat SIGNIFICANTLY. I did an comparison with my wifes' Wrangler on a 90 degree day and it was 25 degrees cooler inside my jeep. This is the best mod of them all.

Stuff I might add later.
AEV Snorkel Kit
Fox shocks 2.5 when these wear out
Heavier springs
4.1 front and rear gears with locker

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

Last edited:

pith helmet

Really, really nice. I also have a 2018 Gobi JKU. Like you, I have done a home built rack utilizing the Smitybilt mounts. Your build is very cool and practical.
I love the Mopar winter wheels you’re running.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Really, really nice. I also have a 2018 Gobi JKU. Like you, I have done a home built rack utilizing the Smitybilt mounts. Your build is very cool and practical.
I love the Mopar winter wheels you’re running.

Thanks dude! It's been way more fun to work on this than I would have imagined a few years ago when I bought it. Easiest vehicle I have worked on too.

The wheels were a total accident to find. Back in May of 2020, a dude in Asheville, NC, which is not quite two hours from here posted these as new in the box for $450 for all 5 on craigslist. These are typically $150 or so each, so I jumped faster than House of Pain on these. Did not even try to bargain with him. I was rocking the Recon wheels and sold them for $450 as well, so it was an even swap. It really completes the jeep in Gobi.

Only problem with the paint color, as I tell everyone, is that it is a very lazy color. It just does not show dirt at all. I've gone months without washing it. With that being said, I always spray off the under carriage and make dang sure the engine bay stays clean. A clean engine is a well running engine!

Got a pic of your roof rack?

pith helmet

It’s still unfinished. I built it last fall out of an old pipe rack I made 20 years ago, always doing things on the cheap. We ended up taking our trip without it.
I like the rear bumper you built, too and may do a home build one soon with a tire carrier. We also sleep in ours and I’m looking to lower the platform all the way down so as to gain all possible headroom and keep the bed made at all times, hence needing more outside carry room. I took the plastic hinge covers off, too. Looks way better.

Last edited:

pith helmet

Thanks dude! It's been way more fun to work on this than I would have imagined a few years ago when I bought it. Easiest vehicle I have worked on too.

The wheels were a total accident to find. Back in May of 2020, a dude in Asheville, NC, which is not quite two hours from here posted these as new in the box for $450 for all 5 on craigslist. These are typically $150 or so each, so I jumped faster than House of Pain on these. Did not even try to bargain with him. I was rocking the Recon wheels and sold them for $450 as well, so it was an even swap. It really completes the jeep in Gobi.

Only problem with the paint color, as I tell everyone, is that it is a very lazy color. It just does not show dirt at all. I've gone months without washing it. With that being said, I always spray off the under carriage and make dang sure the engine bay stays clean. A clean engine is a well running engine!

Got a pic of your roof rack?

Quite a deal on the wheels, I’d have jumped on it, too. Yes, Gobi is a color we chose so as not to have to wash often after driving the local gravel roads.
How do you like the 4’ awning mounted on the rear? Do you find its large enough to function well?

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Gobi is the best!! (y)

Jeep looks great, BUT with a name like Axles and Antennas I expected a lot more axle action on this build :confused: LOL
Would like to see a pic of that skid plate you made.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Gobi is the best!! (y)

Jeep looks great, BUT with a name like Axles and Antennas I expected a lot more axle action on this build :confused: LOL
Would like to see a pic of that skid plate you made.
Yeah, the name is sort of a convoluted story going back to when I originally named the business. It really needs to be something more to do with maps. Oh well, haha.

I'll get some skid plate pics later this morning. It's nothing fancy, but it does the job.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Quite a deal on the wheels, I’d have jumped on it, too. Yes, Gobi is a color we chose so as not to have to wash often after driving the local gravel roads.
How do you like the 4’ awning mounted on the rear? Do you find its large enough to function well?
The awning is good. It's only me in the jeep when I go out so it's just fine. Sometimes my camping buddy, who is in a seperate vehicle, and I stand under it and it can fill kind of cramped, but not too bad. Plus I got a good deal on it, so that makes up for it.

The way you are making that roof rack looks like how I originally was going to build mine. But when I talked to the CNC dude, we came up with the brackets. It was a better option for me since my metal cutting tools are a simple angle grinder. This made the spacing 100% the same all the way around, which would have been a challenge for me with the hand tools.

And yes, the plastic covers look better off. I actually got the idea from the JL series. Not to mention, no more trapped dirt to get ground into the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior