2018 Toyota Tundra, FWC Hawk, backup camera

joelbert

Adventurer
So, I just ordered a FWC Hawk to go into my 2018 Toyota Tundra which has a backup camera in the tailgate. Part of the installation process for the FWC Hawk is removal of the tailgate. While I've never had a backup camera until the last 3 months, I'm starting to get used to it and like it.

If anyone has a similar combination, I would love to hear how you worked out backup camera arrangements to work with the in vehicle Toyota display.

Thanks.

jimjxsn

I used one of the camera source units which is plug and play right into the factory harness. It works well and is easy to switch back and forth when removing the tailgate.

https://camera-source.com/10-16-tacoma-license-plate-camper-camera-kit-plug-and-play.html

tundracamera1-M.jpg

joelbert

Adventurer
Thanks, once I remove the tailgate, I'll see how I can mount something like this and possibly get a plate fabricated so I'm ready to accommodate this. Once the tailgate is remove and the camper installed, it might be harder to get this done.

jimjxsn

Thanks, once I remove the tailgate, I'll see how I can mount something like this and possibly get a plate fabricated so I'm ready to accommodate this. Once the tailgate is remove and the camper installed, it might be harder to get this done.

The version I bought that you see in the photo has the license plate mount which attaches to the license plate bolts and most of the mount is behind the license plate. The aluminum piece is just L stock that I added to protect the camera from being kicked. It also attaches by the license plate bolts.

I leave it on even when I have the tailgate on and just switch the plugs between the two.

The camera also came with a small flat surface bracket if you wanted to mount it higher up on the back of the camper.

kmcintyre

Observer
I just took the camera out of the tailgate (actually bought another OEM cheap on ebay), used the wiring and made a mounting bracket that mounts on my platform (I have an Eagle on a RAM 1500 so I had to make a platform). Easy. If I put the tailgate back on (ever), I just have to plug it in (like another poster). The cons is that it's a bit lower than stock and not exactly on center (I didn't want it on center because of bikes on the back). If you can mount it higher, it'd be better but I didn't want to drill holes, etc. in my camper and try to run a very long harness.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I purchased the one from Camera Source as well. Comes with enough extra wiring to mount it pretty much anywhere you want. I have a Hitchgate on the back of my Tundra, so I've mounted the camera to the underside of the right overhang on the Hawk for now. The view is slightly offset, but it isn't that bad. I find the Camera Source camera to offer a better, wider, and clearer view than the Toyota one in the tailgate too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier